Week 8 Prospect Talk

rackcs

46 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Considering his size and his injury history, I really don't think he's going top 10. I think he'll go mid-first at the earliest but I'd expect him in the late 1st probably. Especially because this is obviously yet another talented WR class.

Well he’s top 10 on my board based on his talent and early breakout production not where I project him to go. I doubt he goes top ten as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Well he’s top 10 on my board based on his talent and early breakout production not where I project him to go. I doubt he goes top ten as well. 

That's fair. I'm still not as high on him as I am on some other receivers, which isn't a knock on him either. He's top 20 for me, just those other guys I really like. For me now it's

JaMarr Chase
Jaylen Waddle
DeVonta Smith

as my clear top 3. And then for me I've got Moore and Bateman around equal. I like Moore a bit more but it really depends on what kind of WR you want between those two in my eyes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rackcs said:

That's fair. I'm still not as high on him as I am on some other receivers, which isn't a knock on him either. He's top 20 for me, just those other guys I really like. For me now it's

JaMarr Chase
Jaylen Waddle
DeVonta Smith

as my clear top 3. And then for me I've got Moore and Bateman around equal. I like Moore a bit more but it really depends on what kind of WR you want between those two in my eyes.

Probably a better overall group than last year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Probably a better overall group than last year.

I think it's pretty comparable with this one being a bit better. I liked some of the mid round guys last year more (although it is early in the scouting process) but the top guys are a bit better than last year's top guys. And again that's not even a knock of last year's guys.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:20 AM, rackcs said:

Considering his size and his injury history, I really don't think he's going top 10. I think he'll go mid-first at the earliest but I'd expect him in the late 1st probably. Especially because this is obviously yet another talented WR class.

He is the only WR I'd be okay with for the Packers in the 1st. Otherwise, we go OT, DL or CB.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, .Buzz said:

Yeah...not sure it's fair to ding Wilson for competition whenever he gets some praise.

Think everyone knows BYU isn't playing top programs week in and week out. It's not about the gaudy stats he's putting up though. Clear to see when you watch him he has a lot of traits/tools you want to see. 

I don't see him getting in the top 3 either. But if his mental makeup is good and he continues to build on what he's putting on tape, this is a 1st round QB.

One cannot ignore the lack of competition, arguably he maybe has not played one player who will be a NFL defensive back all season.  Much less play any player who will even be a NFL defensive player in their career.  To say they have had bad competition, yeah Texas State, Louisiana Tech, UTSA, Troy, Navy, Houston.  Sure all have had pro prospects on D but not many right now if any that I can see.  

Then you have Mac Jones, sure is surrounded by more talent but has played against the team with the best collection of defensive backs in college football in Georgia, the best defense in the nation really in Georgia and ripped them up.  Played a very good A&M defense and looked good against them as well and Tennessee has some solid defenders as well.  All of those teams have multiple prospects who will play in the NFL and Mac Jones looked great against them all.

So sure Zach Wilson deserves getting some hype, so does Mac Jones then.

All the talk about Zach Wilson but none for Dillon Gabriel?  Who easily has played better teams than BYU and rips them all apart each one of them.  

PS a ton of quarterbacks are looking great right now.  Clearly college defenses cannot defend without a crowd to back them up and support them, energize them and encourage them. Not to mention the noise level which is hard to deal with for some offenses.  Many top defenses even look awful, so guess how the awful ones will then look?  So all of this does have a little asterisk next to it in terms of QB play.  Matt Corral looked amazing against Bama then looked more than average against Arkansas and Auburn, so things can change quickly for some of the new young quarterbacks.  Boise State is the game of note of course for Wilson down the road.

23 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

@Ozzy No more weekly prospect thread from you?  I always looked forward to that.

Curious if you have thoughts on David Bell and George Karlaftis as prospects next year.

I follow along just as closely as I usually do, have names of about 200 new prospects added to my list since this year started.  I just do not write anything about it or post much on it.  There are some major *******s on here, and kind of got to the point of why?  You appreciate it sure, and maybe a few others but not sure it is worth the effort in the end.  

In terms of Bell and Karlaftis, both have 1st round potential no question and both are arguably some of the best in their position for 2022.  Bell has great hands and route running ability and Karlaftis can really hold the edge and pass rush quite well.  Have not got into 2022 totally, will more when one knows who is declaring for 2021.   I know that Stingley Jr, Mullen and Elam are all three arguably just as good as any corner in the nation right now, and all could have 1st round potential in 2022, Stingley Jr is a given, but Mullen and Elam can ball.  Slovis and Howell will be big time names at QB and Ojulari from Georgia could be a big timer as well if he does not declare for 2021 which he could and might even be a 1st round pick still.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I follow along just as closely as I usually do, have names of about 200 new prospects added to my list since this year started.  I just do not write anything about it or post much on it.  There are some major *******s on here, and kind of got to the point of why?  You appreciate it sure, and maybe a few others but not sure it is worth the effort in the end.  

Yeah I get that.   Maybe try reddit, they have a pretty big draft community who appreciate that level of effort and research.  But my guess is that you had more lurkers like me reading it than you realized.

In terms of Bell and Karlaftis, both have 1st round potential no question and both are arguably some of the best in their position for 2022.  Bell has great hands and route running ability and Karlaftis can really hold the edge and pass rush quite well.  Have not got into 2022 totally, will more when one knows who is declaring for 2021.   I know that Stingley Jr, Mullen and Elam are all three arguably just as good as any corner in the nation right now, and all could have 1st round potential in 2022, Stingley Jr is a given, but Mullen and Elam can ball.  Slovis and Howell will be big time names at QB and Ojulari from Georgia could be a big timer as well if he does not declare for 2021 which he could and might even be a 1st round pick still.

I'm really excited about Karlaftis.  Thibodeaux got all the hype last year, but Karlaftis was a monster as well.  55 pressures, 17 TFL, 7.5 Sacks as a true freshman.  Then he opens this season against Iowa with 6 pressures and a sack against guys like Alaric Jackson and Coy Cronk.  Just ate their lunch several times.  Also kicked inside at times and was a nightmare for their guards as well.  His strength, hands, and motor are his calling cards right now, but he is a great athlete as well and continues to add to his pass rush repertoire.  He's got sky high potential.

I was wondering if you'd be high on Bell.  Good to know you are.  My only concern is that he's not exactly a burner.  But like you said, his route running is great and hands / ball skills are elite.

Thanks for the shortlist for other 2022 guys.  I've been really busy so far this season so I haven't had a chance to delve in quite yet.  Gonna be fun catching up.

Edited by bananabucket

On 10/25/2020 at 2:17 AM, NYRaider said:

I personally think his ceiling in this years class is QB4, there's nothing he can do to surpass Lawrence, Fields, or Lance on my board unless Fields/Lance forget how to play football the rest of the year. I mean after the consensus top 3 guys it's not a great class and he's likely competing against Kyle Trask and Mac Jones to be QB4. Two of the biggest complaints about him coming into the year were his average arm strength and turnovers. Apparently he was dealing with injuries to his throwing shoulder and thumb last year and it really hurt his ability to push the ball down field. Now that he's at 100% he looks light years ahead of where he was last year on throws to the far hash and deep down field. 

He's a good athlete, with enough arm to make all of throws, accurate, and able to make plays out of the structure of the offense. Guys like that have had a ton of success in the NFL lately. Manziel made those plays too, was a 1st round pick, and might have been a decent NFL QB if he actually liked football and didn't get caught up off the field. 

I like his game. When I was watching him the other day he looked like a better version of Gardner Minshew. I could see a team like New Orleans, Indianapolis, New England, or Chicago taking a long look at him as a potential developmental QB of the future. Possibly even the Jets or Jaguars with their late 1st round picks if they miss on their guy at the top of the round. 

Haven't really picked apart film yet but I'm not especially sold on Fields. It might be OSU QB history but he just strikes me as an ok thrower/runner with a good personality. What makes him a lock top 3?

Lance has the upside but carries a good amount of risk imo. I'm not sure yet how he stacks up to Wentz as a prospect.

Wilson feels safer than the other two assuming health. His arm talent looks like the best of the group and he's getting crazy high marks for his work ethic and approach. 

Edited by BrownLeader

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

One cannot ignore the lack of competition, arguably he maybe has not played one player who will be a NFL defensive back all season.  Much less play any player who will even be a NFL defensive player in their career.  To say they have had bad competition, yeah Texas State, Louisiana Tech, UTSA, Troy, Navy, Houston.  Sure all have had pro prospects on D but not many right now if any that I can see.  

Then you have Mac Jones, sure is surrounded by more talent but has played against the team with the best collection of defensive backs in college football in Georgia, the best defense in the nation really in Georgia and ripped them up.  Played a very good A&M defense and looked good against them as well and Tennessee has some solid defenders as well.  All of those teams have multiple prospects who will play in the NFL and Mac Jones looked great against them all.

So sure Zach Wilson deserves getting some hype, so does Mac Jones then.

All the talk about Zach Wilson but none for Dillon Gabriel?  Who easily has played better teams than BYU and rips them all apart each one of them.  

PS a ton of quarterbacks are looking great right now.  Clearly college defenses cannot defend without a crowd to back them up and support them, energize them and encourage them. Not to mention the noise level which is hard to deal with for some offenses.  Many top defenses even look awful, so guess how the awful ones will then look?  So all of this does have a little asterisk next to it in terms of QB play.  Matt Corral looked amazing against Bama then looked more than average against Arkansas and Auburn, so things can change quickly for some of the new young quarterbacks.  Boise State is the game of note of course for Wilson down the road.

I never said to ignore the competition, I'm saying don't toss out what your seeing just because of it. 

Some of the throws he's making and the overall arm talent is worthy of being talked about as a legit high end QB prospect. Which is the whole point. 

Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, etc. have been getting talked about. Not sure why if you talk about Wilson you have to include other QB prospects in said discussion.