Week Seven Post Game: Packers Ride Adams to W Over Texans

mikebpackfan

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

Yes, you were wrong... You glossed over MVS's brutal drop then tried to spin another throw as a possible bad throw... The only things bad were MVS and your attempt at deflection.

I didn't gloss over anything. 

I said there were two throw aways.

There were then two other plays.

On one MVS ran an out route. The ball went behind him. Whether Rodgers threw a bad ball or whether MVS was supposed to run a curl rather than an out, we don't know 

On the other, in basically the same arrangement, MVS ran an in-step curl route. The ball was thrown off his outside shoulder. Whether Rodgers threw a bad ball or MVS was supposed to run an out route, we don't know. 

Let's be real though, that wasn't an easy catch. An inside curl thrown off frame to the outside shoulder is never easy. You're mischarachterizing that as a terrible drop, unless you're assuming MVS ran it wrong. Seeing as both MVS and Rodgers have both shown a previous propensity for screwing this up, I don't think that's an assumption anybody can make in good faith.

In the "for what it is worth category"....

PFF

#1 WR is Justin Jefferson. at a score of 90.8.

Vante is #2 at 90.5

Lazard is #60 at 68.4.

MVS is #111 at 55.8.

MVS is down there with Kenny Stills, Isaiah Wright, Chris Hogan, Trent Taylor, Jeff Smith, Anthony Miller, John Hightower, DaeSean Hamilton, Damion Ratley and KJ Hamler.

PFF only ranked 118 players.  

Randall Cobb is #50, 71.1.

4 hours ago, StinkySauce said:

Not that anyone needs me to speak for them, but I think AG20 was originally commenting on the 0 for 4 stat, so if 50% of the 4 have nothing to do with MVS, then it's an important point/ 

Still, my own point is that it seems Rodgers thinks MVS is often in a place where he's not supposed to be.  Some of those throw-aways might be a cumulative process with MVS. If the play is a quick release, or MVS is a second- or third read, maybe Rodgers has come to expect MVS to be an unreliable route runner, and Rodgers probably wouldn't spend extra time in a collapsing pocket trying to locate him. 

My posting on AG20's stuff was about him trying to blame Rodgers for MVS's issues. Yesterday was 100% on MVS... He wasn't getting open while Adams was getting open all day long. The one actual time Rodgers went to him he couldn't be bothered to catch the ball, which has been an enormous problem all year long. This is 100% an MVS issue.

I appreciate your breakdown on MVS & Rodgers. I think that would have been a good discussion last year. Now, I'm over it. MVS is what he is- a flawed deep WR.

He has a limited route tree and a limited catch radius. As I've mentioned a couple times today, he can't adjust his body like Adams & Lazard to catch the ball. That became 100% clear to me a few weeks a go when Rodgers hit him with a nice BST. MVS looked like he was swatting at bees when he tried to catch the ball... Another thing is he's limited with his cutting ability. I wont compare him to Adams on that, that's Adams freak skill set. I'll compare him to Malik Taylor. Rodgers has only hit Taylor on a few V or tight 7 routes- running one way then cutting 180 degrees. Taylor's good on that route, which is very encouraging. MVS would probably implode running those routes.

Saying all that, I still love MVS. He's a try hard speed 3rd WR and fills a huge need for the Packers. I'm actually not too worried about his drops, I think he'll get over that. We just need to accept him for what he is and be happy with it- I know I am!

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think he's gotten better, but he's not solid.  I think he plays too reckless out there and it often times has led to him being moved too much. (momentum)

But...he looks improved over last year and from the first two weeks this year.  But I'm not about to say "solid" just yet.  Certainly more active.  Certainly trending in the right direction.

We're kinda stretching the narrative here. The discussion started about Adams playing some solid ball the last two games, which he did. As you pointed out, he's actually been better overall since his 3rd game against the Falcons... That's all.

Now we'll see what he does the rest of the year. If he can play like he did the 2nd half of 2018, which he's now flashing, he'll be useful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

In the "for what it is worth category"....

PFF

#1 WR is Justin Jefferson. at a score of 90.8.

Vante is #2 at 90.5

Lazard is #60 at 68.4.

MVS is #111 at 55.8.

MVS is down there with Kenny Stills, Isaiah Wright, Chris Hogan, Trent Taylor, Jeff Smith, Anthony Miller, John Hightower, DaeSean Hamilton, Damion Ratley and KJ Hamler.

PFF only ranked 118 players.  

Randall Cobb is #50, 71.1.

Having Jefferson would have been great but would it have been worth Gutey's while to move up and take him?  How many picks is a WR worth?  Is he the second coming of Julio Jones?

19 minutes ago, Donzo said:

My posting on AG20's stuff was about him trying to blame Rodgers for MVS's issues. Yesterday was 100% on MVS... He wasn't getting open while Adams was getting open all day long. The one actual time Rodgers went to him he couldn't be bothered to catch the ball, which has been an enormous problem all year long. This is 100% an MVS issue.

I appreciate your breakdown on MVS & Rodgers. I think that would have been a good discussion last year. Now, I'm over it. MVS is what he is- a flawed deep WR.

He has a limited route tree and a limited catch radius. As I've mentioned a couple times today, he can't adjust his body like Adams & Lazard to catch the ball. That became 100% clear to me a few weeks a go when Rodgers hit him with a nice BST. MVS looked like he was swatting at bees when he tried to catch the ball... Another thing is he's limited with his cutting ability. I wont compare him to Adams on that, that's Adams freak skill set. I'll compare him to Malik Taylor. Rodgers has only hit Taylor on a few V or tight 7 routes- running one way then cutting 180 degrees. Taylor's good on that route, which is very encouraging. MVS would probably implode running those routes.

Saying all that, I still love MVS. He's a try hard speed 3rd WR and fills a huge need for the Packers. I'm actually not too worried about his drops, I think he'll get over that. We just need to accept him for what he is and be happy with it- I know I am!

Is MVS another Jeff Janis - all speed and not much else?

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Watch the 9ers last year and you'll get back on it a little bit.

What, it's good to give injured guys big FA contracts?

Just because a team can fill needs with low assets it doesn't mean that's a forever game plan. If it's so easy to get ILBs in the 5th round & as UDFAs, why did the Packers take so long to do it? It would be like watching Sam Shields and Tramon Williams running around at CB for the Packers then say a team should never draft a CB. Just sign UDFA CBs & you're all good.

15 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Is MVS another Jeff Janis - all speed and not much else?

He's better than that. Janis is out of the league, MVS will be around... MVS is a speed 3rd WR and a big asset to the Packers. He's just not going to be more than that. He's never going to replace Adams as a #1 guy.

9 minutes ago, Donzo said:

What, it's good to give injured guys big FA contracts?

Just because a team can fill needs with low assets it doesn't mean that's a forever game plan. If it's so easy to get ILBs in the 5th round & as UDFAs, why did the Packers take so long to do it? It would be like watching Sam Shields and Tramon Williams running around at CB for the Packers then say a team should never draft a CB. Just sign UDFA CBs & you're all good.

Oh right. Forgot there werent rounds between 1 and 5. Lololol ok.

ILBs have a very tough time creating for themselves, if you werent aware. You must not have been one of the guys clamoring for AJ to be shucked out of town then, right?

Edited by HighCalebR

Kamal Martin highest graded player on defense according to PFF.

Gonna troll the hell out of all of you if Barnes and Martin turn into a good couple of ILBs and y’all cried relentlessly because we don’t use massive draft capital or cap space on the least important position on defense.

• Like 2