Week 7 vs Chiefs

lomaxgrUK

Hey guys, I'm new here after lurking for a couple years like a freaking weirdo. I probably haven't spent as many years as you guys watching football but I feel I've seen some pretty consistent things with Lock that I haven't heard talked about much. Yes I do realize this is in all effect his rookie year. However, doesn't it concern you guys his atrocious accuracy with the long ball? I mean...he doesn't often throw interceptions on those but that's because they are 10 yards+ away from the receiver. He's not awful with medium passes and is actually quite good on the short IMO. This inaccuracy is something that I see lead to many drops (some are on the receiver...see most of Jeudy's or Albert O in the previous game). However the one to Hamler this game was very indicative of what I'm talking about where it's pretty far behind him forcing him to try to make a OBJ-type catch. This leads to a crapload of incompletions and also interceptions. I think it also shows why Lock looked so good last year when he was throwing to guys who bring almost everything down (see: Sutton and Fant). Which leads me to another more talked about point...

I know the announcers finally picked up on it but wtf with Drew not going for Fant. He's literally open 75% of the time I see him out there when he's not blocking. We've seen it in multiple games this year when he's targeted, he gets easy receptions or even big runs....and then Fant never gets targeted by him again in the game. Maybe this comes down to things you guys have mentioned with Drew having issues with his progressions or lack-there-of. Point being, how easy do you guys think these things are to fix? I've seen so many QBs have some improvement but not major. Like...at some point do you see someone just doesn't have "it?" I know Rypien threw a bunch of awful interceptions directly to the opponent in his start...but those were all after near-perfect throws to our guys. His accuracy in all ranges seem astronomically better than Lock granted it was only one game. Wouldn't throwing the picks be easier to fix than accuracy assuming the problem wasn't he couldn't see over our O line? Also..I've seen people say stay away from Matt Ryan and I don't get it. Could you imagine what he would do with our weapons if we got him? That's easily a 24+ pt offense per game team IMO and that's being conservative.

Also side note venting: I absolutely cannot stand the bonehead moves Gordon has made on this offense...especially at a time where Freeman looks much improved in receiving and also in the run...and he rarely makes mistakes. MGIII is an absolute dumpster fire on and off the field.

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

Hey guys, I'm new here after lurking for a couple years like a freaking weirdo. I probably haven't spent as many years as you guys watching football but I feel I've seen some pretty consistent things with Lock that I haven't heard talked about much. Yes I do realize this is in all effect his rookie year. However, doesn't it concern you guys his atrocious accuracy with the long ball? I mean...he doesn't often throw interceptions on those but that's because they are 10 yards+ away from the receiver. He's not awful with medium passes and is actually quite good on the short IMO. This inaccuracy is something that I see lead to many drops (some are on the receiver...see most of Jeudy's or Albert O in the previous game). However the one to Hamler this game was very indicative of what I'm talking about where it's pretty far behind him forcing him to try to make a OBJ-type catch. This leads to a crapload of incompletions and also interceptions. I think it also shows why Lock looked so good last year when he was throwing to guys who bring almost everything down (see: Sutton and Fant). Which leads me to another more talked about point...

I know the announcers finally picked up on it but wtf with Drew not going for Fant. He's literally open 75% of the time I see him out there when he's not blocking. We've seen it in multiple games this year when he's targeted, he gets easy receptions or even big runs....and then Fant never gets targeted by him again in the game. Maybe this comes down to things you guys have mentioned with Drew having issues with his progressions or lack-there-of. Point being, how easy do you guys think these things are to fix? I've seen so many QBs have some improvement but not major. Like...at some point do you see someone just doesn't have "it?" I know Rypien threw a bunch of awful interceptions directly to the opponent in his start...but those were all after near-perfect throws to our guys. His accuracy in all ranges seem astronomically better than Lock granted it was only one game. Wouldn't throwing the picks be easier to fix than accuracy assuming the problem wasn't he couldn't see over our O line? Also..I've seen people say stay away from Matt Ryan and I don't get it. Could you imagine what he would do with our weapons if we got him? That's easily a 24+ pt offense per game team IMO and that's being conservative.

Also side note venting: I absolutely cannot stand the bonehead moves Gordon has made on this offense...especially at a time where Freeman looks much improved in receiving and also in the run...and he rarely makes mistakes. MGIII is an absolute dumpster fire on and off the field.

I think a lot of this post is excellent and a lot of it is Skip Bayless overaction imo.

I do notice Lock sails his deep ball timing seems way off with it. And Lock was extremely steadying last year he steadied the sinking ship and helped us get to 4-1 last year . I see no comp to Rypien even worth delving into.

I also haven't been a fan of this offense at all I can't remember a half where it was dominant this year. If Lock faced the Jets he would have torched them as well trust me.

Locks game was subpar to say the least but I think this fanbase is way too over reactionary to that position compared to the league landscape. Peyton spoiled us an the QBs who followed were so abysmal.

Lock has been often injured this year, learning a new offense, without his number one wr, starting his second consecutive game a brutal snow storm. If I recall he looked the worst in the snow last year against the Chief.

I watched Lock at Mizzou and he seemed to press a lot yesterday much like at Mizzou when they were often outmanned. 

Ok defense let 29 points yesterday Vic said last week they'd have to score over 30 to win. Anyone not a fan of that game plan kinda putting all the onus on the young offense?

We saw it running out clock in the titans game, we saw it rear it's ugly head at the end of the pittsburgh game. It just seems situational football is non existent with Shurmer I mean I get that Jeudy dropped the critical ball in the titans game but our 4 min plus drives seem non existent. The calls get so vanilla and the running just gets stuffed. And then we have the worst completion third down rate bc all we get are third in long's.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Oh I’m not making excuses. I’m more looking at the big picture - our losses have come against elite teams an we were in it against both TEN and PIT. 

That said there are major, major, major problems that extend beyond Drew, the schedule, the injuries. 

Vic almost threw down with Shelby Harris yesterday. Fault on both sides but a HC that is respected doesn’t see that from one of his “star” players. Problem. 

Shurmur was brought in so Vic could have an OC with whom he got along. Shurmur sucks as an OC and is too set in his ways to adapt his scheme to his talent. Problem. 

Vic can’t get along with his coordinators and needs to bring in yes-men like Shurmur. Problem. 

The team doesn’t have an owner/executive who can come in, mediate disputes between (seemingly) grown men and make a judgement. Problem.

The problems start - they don’t end, but they start - at the top with Joe Ellis. 

Yeah shoot, Scangarello seemed to at least make improvements in his play calling last year, thus the 4-1 finish.  Shurmer is worse than that.  I am ready for competent young leadership.  The guy in Green Bay, Kingsbury, Rhule, the Rams HC (forget his name) are all thriving.  Guys like Vic, Mike McCarthy, and even Peyton in NO cannot get things done anymore.  Carroll and Reid seem to adjust to what they got, same with Belichic.  The only old guys I would want is a guy who can change a bit.  But in the end, I think it's a young man's coaching game, and a mobile QB league now.  

Well to clarify, I wasn't just talking about this game. This is something I've consistently seen with Lock. I'm not necessarily saying there aren't problems with the coaching staff...there certainly have been some palmface moments. It's just that look around the league and tell me our offensive players (minus QB) aren't capable of putting up huge numbers even right now. You really think the Cardinals have a more talented receiving core other than their top2 guys? They are 5-2 and have put up some good offensive numbers...the difference is in Quarterback regardless of system. As many wtf moments as our coaching staff has had, these are also the same coaches that create plays where I see our players WIDE OPEN but are consistently not thrown to. That is worrisome to me...extremely worrisome. I'm just curious are you guys seeing all these missed opportunities too? Again, not just in the game against the Chiefs

I agree that locks accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, and he still throws off that damn back foot far too often. I'm far from a schemelord, but I don't see nearly the amount of guys running wide open by play design in our offense as I do around the league. It feels like it's just more challenging for our offense.

As for Matt Ryan, no. Not only is he past his prime, no longer a top 10 QB with a lot of guaranteed still on the books in the next couple of years, but the falcons would have to eat an exorbitant (around 40+ mil) amount of that just to trade him.

• Like 1

I know the announcers finally picked up on it but wtf with Drew not going for Fant. He's literally open 75% of the time I see him out there when he's not blocking. We've seen it in multiple games this year when he's targeted, he gets easy receptions or even big runs....and then Fant never gets targeted by him again in the game. 

First off, great first post man! Thats alot of quality insight for a first post!

I agree on the above. I think Fant does too. His body language was pretty poor on Sunday and I think he is getting sick of Lock always looking for the homerun when Fant is running open over the middle for a pass that he could turn into a home run with YAC. 

I think Matt Ryan is mentally cooked. He just seems to be lost since the Super Bowl fiasco. A former race hose that stumbled and broke its hip on the last lap. You know what happens after that. 

Its Lock or try to mortgage an insane haul for Fields. We have no shot at Lawrence unless we get to #1 and that wont happen. I am starting to think Fields will take 3, potentially 4, 1st rounders to move up for. I think the QB purgatory may be perennial until the team fully bottoms out again like the Chubb draft, which means years of meaningless play and wasted rookie deals for our great 2019 + 2020 draft classes. Sigh. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Everyone needs to recall that Cam & Luck were initially cleared after injury.   It's only 2 games, but we didn't see the same level of jittery happy feet from Lock pre-injury as we do now.  And the eyes-down when he goes to leave is totally different.   It very much raises the concern he's not 100 percent.  And I'm not saying this to excuse Lock - it just worries me a lot, given what we know about labrum injuries.    Maybe it's now a mental thing and his shoulder is fine, but you have to be concerned, and frankly, it won't go away for RoS, either, unless Lock shows us HOU-type games (obviously he's not going to do that each week, or even half the time in the best-case scenario, but a guy hanging in and getting the ball out, and moving around the pocket with eyes up, that's the Lock that had us optimistic).

Again, it's only 1 game - so it's important not to over-react.  But the nature of the injury and what we've seen so far, it's definitely worth tracking.

Having maybe the worst centre in football snapping him the ball might be affecting his confidence as well? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Having maybe the worst centre in football snapping him the ball might be affecting his confidence as well? 

There is that too lol he's very green.

I think the whole offense looks lack luster and lethargic. Someone said any qb would thrive and put up 30 points per game yeah I just don't see it.

Elway spends 8 million per year on Gordon for what Veteran Leadership lol DUI, calming presence on offense? Lol fumbled a ball and had an extremely crappy pitch on the flee flicker.

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Elway spends 8 million per year on Gordon for what Veteran Leadership lol DUI, calming presence on offense? Lol fumbled a ball and had an extremely crappy pitch on the flee flicker.

I understand what he was doing targeting the player, but the money is inexplicable. $6.5M guaranteed after this year. It would probably make sense to waive him this year yet, which would move $2M of that dead money to this year’s cap number. 

4 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I understand what he was doing targeting the player, but the money is inexplicable. $6.5M guaranteed after this year. It would probably make sense to waive him this year yet, which would move $2M of that dead money to this year’s cap number. 

And Lindsay looks better.  It's too bad that Lindsay cannot seem to stay healthy.  Lock and Lindsay missing several games a year could be a problem.  

14 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

First off, great first post man! Thats alot of quality insight for a first post!

I agree on the above. I think Fant does too. His body language was pretty poor on Sunday and I think he is getting sick of Lock always looking for the homerun when Fant is running open over the middle for a pass that he could turn into a home run with YAC. 

I think Matt Ryan is mentally cooked. He just seems to be lost since the Super Bowl fiasco. A former race hose that stumbled and broke its hip on the last lap. You know what happens after that. 

Its Lock or try to mortgage an insane haul for Fields. We have no shot at Lawrence unless we get to #1 and that wont happen. I am starting to think Fields will take 3, potentially 4, 1st rounders to move up for. I think the QB purgatory may be perennial until the team fully bottoms out again like the Chubb draft, which means years of meaningless play and wasted rookie deals for our great 2019 + 2020 draft classes. Sigh. 

Thank you! That's fair about Ryan.... They definitely know how to lose a game that they should win.... Someone we know plenty about as well here the past couples years. I'm all for moving up for Fields but man that would cost too much I think. I just hate being at about the same record every year and getting some early teens/tweens draft pick. I agree we need to shake it up somehow but as others have mentioned, it probably won't happen until the team is bought 

Besides Case Keenum for a miracle season which we all got on board with what QBs that were young did he develop and flourish under him?

I hate the Keenum move and the fact we went to his oc after that. It's like Elway wants a specific type of offen.

All I know is I saw impressive development both by the offense and Drew under Scangrello. It looked like it was budding into some why cjan that?

I don't post a lot but I remember posting that if Elway truly liked Lock then take him with the first pick of that draft which I believe was #12.  Well that didn't happen but we still got Lock.  Also I have pulled so hard for every qb we had.  I mean just because Simien through a Brady perfect spiral most of the time I envisioned him as our future star qb.  So after Lock's final few games last season there was further hope but I promised myself to evaluate him based on what I really saw.  Having said that even in the first game I saw passes over 25 yards very wide of their mark.  You would think a gunslinger could sling wouldn't you?  I understand Lock is 4/17 for passes over 20 which is not good.  I would say he maybe has completed one over 30 yards.  I agree I don't think he is healthy but he is not a gun slinger and if he fails to realize that passes in and around the fifteen yards out are more than acceptable and that moving the chains to establish some time consuming drives is way better than hitting a home run which statistically for Lock may happen with one out of ten balls than it is clear to me we need a different qb.  This gunslinger appears to not be able to hit the side of an fn barn!!!!!