OBJ suffers season-ending knee injury

candyman93

19 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Don't wish injury on anyone but....Baker about to be free to play well the rest of the season.

I called it during the game, almost the second he went out he went right to 2018 Baker. Accuracy, anticipation, fun and all

Edited by MSURacerDT55

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Um... did Julio Jones, Deandre Hopkins or Michael Thomas die? Did Davante Adams, Keenan Allen or Mike Evans get arrested?

Injury history along with lack of production has Odell pretty low on the totem pole nowadays. He's probably on the outside of the top 10. 

ehh I dont know about that. Im a firm believer in WR production 75% being on who is throwing them the ball. A WR cant be dominant and post great top 5 numbers if they have a garbage can throwing them the ball.

If you put OBJ in a pass happy system with a top 10 QB then he would be right next to Julio/Hopkins/Adams.

Eli was a bottom 5 QB in the league his last few years and Baker has performed like a bottom 5 QB thus far this year on top of being in a run first offense.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

ehh I dont know about that. Im a firm believer in WR production 75% being on who is throwing them the ball. A WR cant be dominant and post great top 5 numbers if they have a garbage can throwing them the ball.

Andre Johnson would beg to disagree. Hopkins before Watson as well. Allen Robinson has put up pretty big seasons with Trubisky and Bortles. 

George Kittle broke the all time yardage record for tight ends with Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard being his starting QB for 75% of the season. 

The thing is, the bad QBs also aren't notable for being able to view the field in its entirety and may force feed their targets to their one stud, so from a pure bulk production stand point, it can absolutely cut both wawys. Sure, there are seasons where the quarterback is so bad that the offense in it's entirety is just horrific (think Josh Rosen cardinals), but you usually can tell the difference in those situations 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Andre Johnson would beg to disagree. Hopkins before Watson as well. Allen Robinson has put up pretty big seasons with Trubisky and Bortles. 

George Kittle broke the all time yardage record for tight ends with Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard being his starting QB for 75% of the season. 

The thing is, the bad QBs also aren't notable for being able to view the field in its entirety and may force feed their targets to their one stud, so from a pure bulk production stand point, it can absolutely cut both wawys. 

Good point, it just seemed like Baker was uncomfortable trying to 'force' the ball to OBJ. He performed like crap when that was lurking out there. You could see once OBJ went away Baker almost had a weight taken off of him of trying to get the ball to one guy to make him happy.

I just dont think the pairing works well and Baker is not the type of bad QB who force feeds 

2 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I think DPJ can step in and produce. He has the talent, just needs to find consistency. 

He's got the raw talent to be good, just needs refining and some good coaching. Was definitely worth taking a chance on late in the draft.

Devastated for him. First Saquon and now Odell? Sucks. Speedy recovery Odell.

This notion that now that Odell is gone Baker will be set free is laughable. Odell wasn’t even top 30 in targets yet people want to imply Baker might be better without Odell and that he no longer has to force him the ball.

Edited by Kip Smithers

30 minutes ago, Starless said:

Mayfield started 0 for 5 with a pick

then OBJ went down

Mayfield went 21/22 with 5 TDs the rest of the way

I don't want to assume causation, but it is curious that he played out of his mind after losing supposedly his best receiver. 

And that one single incompletion was him spiking the ball to stop the clock.

EDIT: OBJ went down after Baker's first pass, which was an INT. Baker was bad the first two drives and then he started playing well on our third drive.

Edited by DawgX

24 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Devastated for him. First Saquon and now Odell? Sucks. Speedy recovery Odell.

This notion that now that Odell is gone Baker will be set free is laughable. Odell wasn’t even top 30 in targets yet people want to imply Baker might be better without Odell and that he no longer has to force him the ball.

Bakers stats are significantly better with OBJ not on the Browns compared to OBJ on the Browns. It might not make any sense, but there is almost a full season of stats to compare Baker with OBJ and without.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Bakers stats are significantly better with OBJ not on the Browns compared to OBJ on the Browns. It might not make any sense, but there is almost a full season of stats to compare Baker with OBJ and without.

What his rookie season? We still holding onto that rookie year? So let me get this straight Eli was much better with Odell but now Baker is better without him? This narrative is silly and it doesn’t even make sense.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Obj is holding Baker back not the other way around.

LOL.  I guess it didn't take long for the Bengals game to give ya'll amnesia.  I know this might seem like ancient history but just a few weeks ago Baker also had a good game against the lowly Bengals.  This is his M.O.  He has great games against bad teams and awful games against good teams.  Its the same whether Odell is there or not.

Getting excited over him playing well against the Bengals is like Bears fans getting excited over Trubisky playing well against the Lions.  Once real competition is back on the schedule he will go back to who he's always been in the NFL.  A below average QB. 

Time will tell if the Baker -OBJ dynamic was an issue.  It is possible that 2 players can be better separate than they are playing together.   Some players just to not mesh well.  Does not necessarily make either of them bad, but chemistry is not something that can be forced.

• Like 1