OBJ suffers season-ending knee injury

candyman93

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

What his rookie season? We still holding onto that rookie year? So let me get this straight Eli was much better with Odell but now Baker is better without him? This narrative is silly and it doesn’t even make sense.

Yeah it does, they just have zero chemistry with one another. I think when Baker isnt constantly thinking about having to get OBJ his targets on every drive he plays more open.

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

LOL OBJ absolutely is not the best or second best receiver in the league. Probably not even top five.

I rate players based on talent not production.  Why? Because production is a by-product of the players around you and the scheme you play in.  Especially as a WR.  Was Randy Moss not the best WR in the NFL when he played at Oakland?  

OBJ and Julio Jones have been the top 2 WRs in the NFL since Calvin Johnson retired (with Antonio Brown also in the mix).  And that's based on their talent not the year to year variability that comes with stats. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Time will tell if the Baker -OBJ dynamic was an issue.  It is possible that 2 players can be better separate than they are playing together.   Some players just to not mesh well.  Does not necessarily make either of them bad, but chemistry is not something that can be forced.

Right and he has tons of chemistry with Landry, those two have clicked since day 1. For whatever reason OBJ hasnt clicked the same way Landry/Higgins have with Baker. I dont know if its a mental thing or a reps thing, a trust thing or what but its clear watching Browns games Baker throws a much better ball to the other guys than he does to OBJ.

When he throws to OBJ it almost seems forced. Like "okay I have to force one over to him because I havent given him a look this drive yet" and thats where mistakes happen.

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

LOL.  I guess it didn't take long for the Bengals game to give ya'll amnesia.  I know this might seem like ancient history but just a few weeks ago Baker also had a good game against the lowly Bengals.  This is his M.O.  He has great games against bad teams and awful games against good teams.  Its the same whether Odell is there or not.

Getting excited over him playing well against the Bengals is like Bears fans getting excited over Trubisky playing well against the Lions.  Once real competition is back on the schedule he will go back to who he's always been in the NFL.  A below average QB. 

He was good vs the bengals last time, this time he went onto another level.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Um... did Julio Jones, Deandre Hopkins or Michael Thomas die? Did Davante Adams, Keenan Allen or Mike Evans get arrested?

Injury history along with lack of production has Odell pretty low on the totem pole nowadays. He's probably on the outside of the top 10. 

Julio Jones is the only receiver you listed that is arguably more talented than OBJ.  That's why I said he's the best or second best WR.  I rate players by talent not stats.  Give OBJ elite QB play and he puts up the best numbers in the league.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Its because the Bengals dont have a pass rush. He is great when he time, extremely poor against teams that can pressure him all game.

Threw a dot to dpj with someone hanging onto him.

I agree pressure doesnt help him, but he can play under pressure once he gets going.

Just now, VanS said:

Julio Jones is the only receiver you listed that is arguably more talented than OBJ.  That's why I said he's the best or second best WR.  I rate players by talent not stats.  Give OBJ elite QB play and he puts up the best numbers in the league.

Right, so what are the Texans waiting for. Give me that 2rd rounder + Cunningham for Beckham

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

Threw a dot to dpj with someone hanging onto him.

I agree pressure doesnt help him, but he can play under pressure once he gets going.

Possibly, but I just have flashbacks to teams that bring the heat against him and he gets all sorts of shook in the pocket and starts forcing balls and seeing ghosts

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I called it during the game, almost the second he went out he went right to 2018 Baker. Accuracy, anticipation, fun and all

Or it was the Bengals.  You know the same team Baker carved up in Week 2.

Its almost like ya'll forget this has been a consistent pattern for him.  Great games against bad teams.  Awful games against good teams.  The saving grace for the Browns this year is their schedule is relatively weak so they should make the playoffs.  However, that doesn't mean you have a franchise QB.  It just means you have a 2018 Bears situation and like Trubisky we should all know by now that Mayfield isn't the answer. 

9 minutes ago, VanS said:

- Deandre Hopkins has put up All Pro seasons with TJ Yates and Tom Savage as his QB. He doesn't need elite QB play to put up the best numbers in the league.

- Keenan Allen hung up elite seasons with the corpse of Phillip Rivers. He doesn't need elite QB play to put up elite numbers.

- Mike Evans is only one of two WRs to post up 1,000 yards six seasons straight to start his career. (The other was some guy named Moss). His QB? A combination of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston. He didn't need elite QB play to get into this discussion.

- Michael Thomas set the single season reception record with Teddy Bridgewater for nearly half a season. He didn't need elite QB play to get into the discussion.

That's the difference between these guys and OBJ. OBJ needs elite QB play. These guys don't. 

That's why they're better WRs.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He was good vs the bengals last time, this time he went onto another level.

It was the best game of his career.  But it still fits his overall pattern.  Even going back to that rookie year his believers still hang onto.  If you dig into those numbers you'll see played poorly against the good defenses he faced that year and feasted on the poor defenses.  

Baker Mayfield is not a good QB.  He just has good games ever now and then when his team plays subpar competition. 

10 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

doesn’t explain why Odell amongst all receivers wasn’t even in the top 30.

The Browns are the #1 rushing team in football, they are a run first team and throw the ball only 20-25 times per game. Baker isnt out here throwing the ball 40+ times every week like other QBs. They also have a lot of other weapons so its not just OBJ and a bunch of bums. Landry gets the ball, Hunt gets the ball, Hooper/Bryant get the ball, ect.

They dont run a offense that force feeds 1 player the ball all game long like Watson/Hopkins did or Rodgers/Adams

Edited by AkronsWitness