OBJ suffers season-ending knee injury

candyman93

You’d have to give Cleveland Mahommes or Let Russ Cook to make us a super bowl contender. 

Our defense is horrific outside of Myles being Thor in Infinity War. Denzel is great too, but he’s a Bugatti next to a trailer. Actual game footage of Myles arriving to save our defense:

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get it doesn’t make sense, but as someone who’s watched just about every snap of Baker’s career, it’s true.

Without OBJ Baker spreads the ball and find the open guy.  With him he forces throws to him.  Maybe because OBJ starts sulking if he’s not involved (not accusing him, idk, but his body language at times has been awful.  Not as much this season), maybe to prevent him from getting frustrated or whatever.  Whatever the reason, he does.

Most importantly, they simply have zero chemistry.  On paper they should be great, who wouldn’t do better with a great receiver, but they simply don’t connect.  Rashard Higgins had more receiving yards yesterday than all but 2 of OBJ’s career games with the Browns. Harrison Bryant had 2 TD’s yesterday from Baker.  OBJ has never done that in a season and a half.

I get it’s contradictory to what you’d expect, but they simply don’t produce together. OBJ may still have some great years ahead of him, but it’s not going to be with Baker and Baker, at least so far, has looked significantly better without him.

Oh, and OBJ top 2 in the league rn?  Lol gtfoh, it ain’t 2016 lads.

the OBJ/Mayfield situation reminds me of what happened with Peerless Price back in the day. Dude was a good receiver in his first 3 years in the league, in Buffalo, playing with scrub QBs. But then when Bledsoe arrived in 2002 his production exploded. The Bills traded him for a 1st round pick to Atlanta, and the Falcons were hoping he'd continue to do for them what he did in '02. But Vick spent most of his first year there injured, and when Vick did get healthy in '04, he and Price couldn't get on the same page at all. Price's production cratered in what should've been the start of his prime (and playing with objectively the best QB he ever had), and he completely flamed out after that. 

Edited by Starless

32 minutes ago, Starless said:

the OBJ/Mayfield situation reminds me of what happened with Peerless Price back in the day. Dude was a good receiver in his first 3 years in the league, in Buffalo, playing with scrub QBs. But then when Bledsoe arrived in 2002 his production exploded. The Bills traded him for a 1st round pick to Atlanta, and the Falcons were hoping he'd continue to do for them what he did in '02. But Vick spent most of his first year there injured, and when Vick did get healthy in '04, he and Price couldn't get on the same page at all. Price's production cratered in what should've been the start of his prime (and playing with objectively the best QB he ever had), and he completely flamed out after that. 

To add, I think Baker likes big targets. 

He does well with tight ends, he did well with breshad perriman, brees has liked bigger targets, I think it is to do with being a shorter qb. 

Also, baker seems to like consistent routes. I wonder if obj isn't consistent, perhaps he runs himself open rather tha  to where he needs to be 

Brett Favre spoke once about back in the day when he was first starting for the Packers he would always try to get the ball to Sterling Sharpe (For good reason obviously like OBJ) but he said when he had his tragic neck injury it forced Favre to become a better QB and really spread the ball around and be more efficient

I think its easy for a young QB to feel obligated to force the ball to a star WR. I’ve seen some people say you cant blame OBJ for Bakers struggles and I agree with that, he’s a really good WR when healthy still but both of them never had that natural connection I don’t feel. A new team for Odell should do him wonders….as for Baker he has a lot to prove still, his seat is warm. He does good vs the bad teams, but he needs to prove he can play well vs teams like the Ravens and Steelers. Does he need to beat them this year? No not exactly, but he needs to play much better and not turn the ball over. Again these are the Browns we are talking about and their next step as a team should be just making the playoffs, as for Baker this year, just keep it close vs those great teams rather than giving the game away and getting blown out.

If Baker does that then 2021 could possibly be his year, but he has a lot to prove yet.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

How many points and yards the defense gives up doesn’t matter. They have Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams - therefore they’re an elite defense because....talent.

Greedy hasnt played all year, neither has Delpit. We basically have 3 weekly notable players. Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward and Sheldon Richardson. Every other defender on the team is a replacement level player.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Actual game footage of Myles arriving to save our defense:

I might be in the minority, but Thor arriving in Wakanda was the best part of the entire Infinity Saga. Visually, with the music and everyone with the "Holy crap, it's THOR! With an Axe! With a plant! AND a Rabbit! We might be able to pull this one off!!!" look on their face - I loved that scene, even moreso than the "On your Left" scene in Endgame.

7 hours ago, Starless said:

I think you're blinded by the names on the marquee and not really looking at the film. OBJ isn't the guy he was with the Giants. Landry is still very good, but you also have to remember that last year, in the midst of stocking up on offensive weapons, they neglected to address the OL. 

Of course, the guy has done himself in frequently by throwing really baffling interceptions. But again, poor decision making in a young QB is something that can be coached away over time. Freddie Kitchens did him no favors at all last year, and now Stefanski seems to have him trending in the right direction. 

Ok.  Even if OBJ and Landry aren't what they used to be (which I don't agree with but for the sake of argument I'll give you that), they still have Chubb, Hunt, Hooper, Njoku, and a really good o-line.  Then on defense they have arguably the best defensive player in the league right now in Myles Garrett.

This is a loaded roster no matter how much you try to diminish OBJ and Landry.  Put a good QB on this roster and they would be among the Super Bowl favorites.  Once again imagine if Deshaun Watson was on the Browns instead.  When you look at it that way you realize how badly Mayfield has underachieved. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

And who was Odell Beckham sharing the ball with in NY? His best years were also similar to Hopkins in terms of other assets to get the ball to. He was just as force fed.

But...when Hopkins had to share the field with Andre Johnson and Arian Foster, he still put up 1,200 yards and 10 TDs (with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the QB).

Truth be told, Odell has yet to really produce with Jarvis Landry and that two headed monster at RB. Hopkins has produced as a #2 WR and #3 option on offense.

But not "elite". You used the word "elite". They are far from it - they are below the likes of Baker Mayfield.

I acknowledged OBJ was in a similar situation with Hopkins when he was at NY and similarly put up huge numbers.  

With regard to Rivers/Winston vs Mayfield, I think they are not as bad as Mayfield.  You can disagree but I rate Rivers and Winston as average starting QBs while I rate Mayfield as being below average. 

20 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Greedy hasnt played all year, neither has Delpit. We basically have 3 weekly notable players. Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward and Sheldon Richardson. Every other defender on the team is a replacement level player.

2019-AUGUST-OFFICEGIFS-9.gif

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

As if the Bengals aren't professionals.....there is no way you can deny the balls he threw and the placement, Bengals or not

You do know Mayfield has more tape out than this past week?  I said earlier this was the best game of his career.  I've just seen enough from him to know he isn't very good.  One great game against a bad team doesn't make the awful tape he's put out for most of the last two seasons disappear. 

13 minutes ago, VanS said:

I acknowledged OBJ was in a similar situation with Hopkins when he was at NY and similarly put up huge numbers

And I debunked your "force feeding him the ball" belief when I brought up his 2nd year, where he was the 3rd option on the Texans behind Andre Johnson and Arian Foster. 

Hopkins has been a secondary option, and still put up great numbers. We can't say the same about Odell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VanS said:

With regard to Rivers/Winston vs Mayfield, I think they are not as bad as Mayfield.  You can disagree but I rate Rivers and Winston as average starting QBs while I rate Mayfield as being below average. 

But this isn't about guy QB A being better than QB B... This is about elite QB play. You said it yourself:

8 hours ago, VanS said:

Give OBJ elite QB play and he puts up the best numbers in the league.

None of the WRs I mentioned (outside of Julio or Adams) had elite QB play at various times in their career - in most cases, it ranged between average to below average. But, they all produced at near "best numbers in the league".

What is OBJs excuse?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VanS said:

I acknowledged OBJ was in a similar situation with Hopkins when he was at NY and similarly put up huge numbers.  

I wanna know how you arrive at Rivers and Winston both being better than Baker lol.  You'd have to almost use opposite arguments for each.  Baker pushes the ball more (more TD's stronger arm) than Rivers, but doesn't complete as many passes and makes more mistakes.  Winston throws more TD's, but makes more mistakes. 

• Like 1