Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
turtle28

Landon Collins expected to have suffered a season ending achillies tear

Recommended Posts

Sucks, but it means we’ll get to look more at Kamren Curl as a starting S along with DeShazor Everrett. I’m guessing they’ll bring up Jeremy Reaves off the practice squad too.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely sucks. First and foremost because it’s a really painful injury and a long, arduous rehab for a guy who’s a good dude. 

It also sucks for the franchise, because though he’s struggled early this season in a lot of respects, the best version of this defense over the next 3-4 years probably includes Collins at SS. Perhaps they would kick him down to the nickel/dime LB role in passing situations — which apparently they were doing some of today — but he is a guy who can make plays and cause some impact with his skillset. This injury will set the whole defense back a bit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible for Landon. Was flying around and seems to be a great dude.

Should give Eric Reid a call. Has familiarity with Rivera's system, is a very productive player and can fill in immediately at SS. Also, probably not very expensive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Definitely sucks. First and foremost because it’s a really painful injury and a long, arduous rehab for a guy who’s a good dude. 

It also sucks for the franchise, because though he’s struggled early this season in a lot of respects, the best version of this defense over the next 3-4 years probably includes Collins at SS. Perhaps they would kick him down to the nickel/dime LB role in passing situations — which apparently they were doing some of today — but he is a guy who can make plays and cause some impact with his skillset. This injury will set the whole defense back a bit. 

Yep.  Really tough recovery.  Strong chance he won't be ready by next season.  I also agree about his play.  Not good this year, but a historically great SS and I assumed they would get him straightened and impactful eventually.  Hope he heals well.

I for one am not for bringing in an eric reid.  I like everett/curl/reaves/apke as options.  Wild thought.  Everett has looked very competent.  And while this would likely be a failed experiment, being that Apke struggles with angles at FS, I wonder if maybe we should try him out at SS before relegating him to a special teams only player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Definitely sucks. First and foremost because it’s a really painful injury and a long, arduous rehab for a guy who’s a good dude. 

It also sucks for the franchise, because though he’s struggled early this season in a lot of respects, the best version of this defense over the next 3-4 years probably includes Collins at SS. Perhaps they would kick him down to the nickel/dime LB role in passing situations — which apparently they were doing some of today — but he is a guy who can make plays and cause some impact with his skillset. This injury will set the whole defense back a bit. 

I think moving him to OLB could help fix the angles he takes that causes missed tackles.  By and large, this signing has been a bust though.  I am not sure that Collins would be able to make the switch, in addition to rehabbing a torn Achilles.  Either one would be tough, adding both is asking for the impossible, at least in my opinion.  

The torn Achilles also presents a problem for Collins as it pertains to safety.  We all know his coverage was never the best, but it is possible a torn Achilles makes him even worse in coverage by losing some athleticism.  I am honestly not sure that I see Collins having a big role with the club next year........take that however you will.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think moving him to OLB could help fix the angles he takes that causes missed tackles.  By and large, this signing has been a bust though.  I am not sure that Collins would be able to make the switch, in addition to rehabbing a torn Achilles.  Either one would be tough, adding both is asking for the impossible, at least in my opinion.  

The torn Achilles also presents a problem for Collins as it pertains to safety.  We all know his coverage was never the best, but it is possible a torn Achilles makes him even worse in coverage by losing some athleticism.  I am honestly not sure that I see Collins having a big role with the club next year........take that however you will.  

If you had to wager or Collins or Reuben Foster being a starter on our defense next year - forget contracts - who would you take?

I’d take Landon Collins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Any bets on whether we just roll with Everett and Kurl?

and someone said Reaves from the practice squad. He's a good fill in .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Any bets on whether we just roll with Everett and Kurl?

Probably.  I don't see them bringing in anyone at this point......although with a bye coming up, this would be the week to do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If you had to wager or Collins or Reuben Foster being a starter on our defense next year - forget contracts - who would you take?

I’d take Landon Collins.

That's a tough one if you take out contracts.  Really depends on if Foster can get back on the field this year, too.  Right now I'd say Collins, but if "neither" was an option, I'd take that one too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reaves brought up to the active - again. 3 years in a row. Man, there are guys out there , Ha-Ha  only 27, Eric Reid, T J Ward , Reshad Jones . 

What do you guys think if we pair Everett with Curl. Do they interchange , Does Everett move to Strong ( seems more natural ) and Curl to free ? 

Edited by RSkinGM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Reaves brought up to the active - again. 3 years in a row. Man, there are guys out there , Ha-Ha  only 27, Eric Reid, T J Ward , Reshad Jones . 

What do you guys think if we pair Everett with Curl. Do they interchange , Does Everett move to Strong ( seems more natural ) and Curl to free ? 

It seems to me that both of those guys have played at least average since they’ve gotten snaps. I don’t see any reason to not roll with them, especially Curl and to see what he does the second half of the year

I think both guys can play either position  too, so they’re interchangeable which is a good thing. They’re both sound tacklers and I think better in coverage than both Apke & Collins. Apke would be good in coverage but his recognition/reaction time as a FS is currently awful and he & Collins missed a lot of tackles this year. 
 

So while it’s not a flashy duo, if Curl & Everrett are just average, that’s an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...