Moving certain rivalry games to neutral sites

pf9

With the proliferation of new NFL stadiums in recent decades, I feel that some college football rivalries should be moved to these stadiums.

The Power 5 has many in-state in-conference rivalries. But many of them involve one school in the same metro area as an NFL team, and one school further away from the NFL team. Thus, bringing these rivalry games to NFL stadiums would give too much of an advantage to the team located closer to the NFL stadium.

But there are a few rivalries which could reasonably be played in NFL stadiums. Cal-Stanford and UCLA-USC could easily be played at the home venues of the 49ers and the Chargers/Rams, respectively, since they are more or less crosstown rivalries. In both cases, the NFL stadium can accommodate more fans than either of the normal home venues for either team, and is much newer than said venues.

Indiana and Purdue are both far enough from Indianapolis that they could stage their annual rivalry game at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Maryland and Rutgers, the two easternmost and newest schools in the Big Ten, could stage their rivalry game in Lincoln Financial Field, as sort of a public school Army-Navy Game (which the actual Army-Navy Game is usually staged there). Maryland and Rutgers are in close proximity to Navy and Army, respectively.

And if SMU ever gets into the Big 12 (they way they are playing now it seems likely, I'm sure TCU would love SMU to be a conference rival again), the Battle for the Iron Skillet could be staged at AT&T Stadium on Black Friday, the day after the Cowboys game.

I prefer games at team's home stadiums, preferably stadiums that are one their respective school's campus, as an attending fan.  Neutral sites are ok, but they never have the same energy as either a game on your campus, or traveling onto the opposition's campus.  They seem to be better in theory than they are in practice.   

On 10/26/2020 at 1:26 PM, OkeyDoke21 said:

I prefer games at team's home stadiums, preferably stadiums that are one their respective school's campus, as an attending fan.  Neutral sites are ok, but they never have the same energy as either a game on your campus, or traveling onto the opposition's campus.  They seem to be better in theory than they are in practice.   

We play Texas A&M every year in Dallas and it was cool at first but I think both sides are beyond tired of it at this point and want it to go back to campus. We only get 2 SEC games in Fayetteville next year.

• Like 1