In Season Trade or FA signing that needs to be made (But won't)

KingTitan

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but wouldn’t Romeo Crennel be a strong possibility as DC? Ties with Vrabel, lame duck in Houston. He will be available. I think he’d be more likely than Patricia, who I don’t think vrabel has ever played for or coached with?

Crennel is not and would not be an exciting hire. But I think he’s a guy not too different than Pees, for example. He’s been coaching forever, he’s seen everything. He would be capable of building a strong defense if he had the right pieces. I think Pees was great but also obviously benefitted from having talent and vets on the defense. If memory serves, Ravens fans were elated to see him retire. Think the last play he coached for them was the Bengals last second TD that was blown coverage and lost their playoff spot. Then he comes here, and we ride our defense to the afc title game in a lot of ways, and we are wishing he never retired. Wade Phillips also had some bad defenses. But he finally got that right recipe of players that he had in Denver and built an all time great defense.

im not saying Crennel would or could build an elite defense here. But I think he’d walk into a situation where Vrabel lets him build his defense a lot like he let Pees. This offseason is an important one for defensive personnel, but we will certainly have talented pieces. Maybe we can catch fire again with a wily vet

18 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but wouldn’t Romeo Crennel be a strong possibility as DC? Ties with Vrabel, lame duck in Houston. He will be available. I think he’d be more likely than Patricia, who I don’t think vrabel has ever played for or coached with?

Crennel is not and would not be an exciting hire. But I think he’s a guy not too different than Pees, for example. He’s been coaching forever, he’s seen everything. He would be capable of building a strong defense if he had the right pieces. I think Pees was great but also obviously benefitted from having talent and vets on the defense. If memory serves, Ravens fans were elated to see him retire. Think the last play he coached for them was the Bengals last second TD that was blown coverage and lost their playoff spot. Then he comes here, and we ride our defense to the afc title game in a lot of ways, and we are wishing he never retired. Wade Phillips also had some bad defenses. But he finally got that right recipe of players that he had in Denver and built an all time great defense.

im not saying Crennel would or could build an elite defense here. But I think he’d walk into a situation where Vrabel lets him build his defense a lot like he let Pees. This offseason is an important one for defensive personnel, but we will certainly have talented pieces. Maybe we can catch fire again with a wily vet

patricia was the patriots' LB coach from 2006-2008 while vrabel was still playing for them.

crennel is an interesting option though. he ran a pretty solid defense for a few years down in houston (even without watt and getting absolutely no help from a brock osweiler-led offense in 2016). his most recent stint at DC for them from 2018-2019 was much less inspiring, so that's a concern, but it's not like he had an elite group of players. however, the guy's 73. i have to wonder whether we want to set ourselves up for potentially the same old dance we did with pees where he's at most a couple of years before retiring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Assuming Fulton returns before Jackson 

does he replace Borders? I say stick with Breon

Absolutely not. He wasn’t good anyway. He’ll compete with Jackson, Smith, and Milton for the #4 CB and #5 if Adoree ever comes back. Unless Borders starts to suck, no reason to replace him with a guy who was pretty meh earlier in the year.

5 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Absolutely not. He wasn’t good anyway. He’ll compete with Jackson, Smith, and Milton for the #4 CB and #5 if Adoree ever comes back. Unless Borders starts to suck, no reason to replace him with a guy who was pretty meh earlier in the year.

I don’t think the coaching staff will see it that cut and dry 

I’m not saying I disagree. But I think Fulton is gonna get some snaps opposite Butler

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don’t think the coaching staff will see it that cut and dry 

I’m not saying I disagree. But I think Fulton is gonna get some snaps opposite Butler

I don't think they'll force Fulton onto the field as long as Borders has a hot hand.  The staff wants to win above all.  I do think Fulton will get some snaps, but I don't think it's anything where the staff will bench the better player.

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't think they'll force Fulton onto the field as long as Borders has a hot hand.  The staff wants to win above all.  I do think Fulton will get some snaps, but I don't think it's anything where the staff will bench the better player.

Yea they’ll have to get Fulton in there at some point. He could be inline for #2 CB next year because I definitely don’t see Butler back at his current price. Plus King is a FA. If Borders continues to develop and play well, I think you can not only pencil him in for a roster spot next year but likely in the top 4 CB spots.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

51 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yea they’ll have to get Fulton in there at some point. He could be inline for #2 CB next year because I definitely don’t see Butler back at his current price. Plus King is a FA. If Borders continues to develop and play well, I think you can not only pencil him in for a roster spot next year but likely in the top 4 CB spots.

Agreed.  Fulton was drafted to be a starter eventually, and Butler will almost certainly be a cap casualty.  If Borders plays like he did vs. the Colts he might be a cap casualty, but he's definitely looking like a candidate to replace Butler (along with King, depending on his season).

If Fulton lives up to expectations and Borders plays well, a starting trio of Jackson, Fulton, and Borders, with Jackson 2 in reserve isn't that bad.  It'd be a young group, but not too young.  Get some semblance of a pass rush and it could do alright for us.

But I think job Numbers 1-5 this draft is getting DL help, ideally a tweener who can play inside and outside.

30 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed.  Fulton was drafted to be a starter eventually, and Butler will almost certainly be a cap casualty.  If Borders plays like he did vs. the Colts he might be a cap casualty, but he's definitely looking like a candidate to replace Butler (along with King, depending on his season).

If Fulton lives up to expectations and Borders plays well, a starting trio of Jackson, Fulton, and Borders, with Jackson 2 in reserve isn't that bad.  It'd be a young group, but not too young.  Get some semblance of a pass rush and it could do alright for us.

But I think job Numbers 1-5 this draft is getting DL help, ideally a tweener who can play inside and outside.

Add another draft pick hopefully. Maybe even push Jackson 2 down to the 5th spot. 

I'll sign up for a Jackson, Fulton, Borders, Jackson 2,  high draft pick CB room. 

Got to get Byard right. Give more time to Hooker add another S/CB hybrid and the secondary won't be hot garbage.

Of course need a pass rush. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Add another draft pick hopefully. Maybe even push Jackson 2 down to the 5th spot. 

I'll sign up for a Jackson, Fulton, Borders, Jackson 2,  high draft pick CB room. 

Got to get Byard right. Give more time to Hooker add another S/CB hybrid and the secondary won't be hot garbage.

Of course need a pass rush. 

If there's a great CB available, great, but I think the team has too many other needs.

We'll be needing WR help, are desperate on the DL (between interior and edge we may need two high picks there) and probably need new blood in the interior OL sooner rather than later.  They spent two picks at CB in 2020, let them develop before you sink more into the position and let others get even worse.

Also don’t expect Vaccaro back. Hooker definitely looks like he belongs and should be the starter next year. I want King back because he’s a natural nickel but also isn’t a liability outside either. Cut Butler and Vaccaro and resign King(shouldn’t be a crazy contract). Jackson, Borders, King, Fulton, and Chris Jackson should be a good group. Let Brown walk. Resign Jonnu and Davis. Spend everything from the start on IDL, OLB, and K.

Find depth on the interior(Brewer could be the future center. Could cut Humphries but then you’d need to replace him.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

5 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I was originally for this, but it's gonna be hard to cut Butler if he finishes the season like this. He's getting paid a lot, but earning absolutely every penny.

Malcolm Butler has been worth the big contract. He's a great cornerback in this league.

The hardest position to play, and he's consistently played at a high level for us since he got here. I recall him having a shaky first few games with us, and obviously he's had a couple rough ones over the past few years, but overall I think he's been a great signing for us. Perhaps overpaid by a few bucks, but the peace of mind of having a CB who I know is going to hold his own with the overwhelming majority of WRs makes it worh it

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

Malcolm Butler has been worth the big contract. He's a great cornerback in this league.

The hardest position to play, and he's consistently played at a high level for us since he got here. I recall him having a shaky first few games with us, and obviously he's had a couple rough ones over the past few years, but overall I think he's been a great signing for us. Perhaps overpaid by a few bucks, but the peace of mind of having a CB who I know is going to hold his own with the overwhelming majority of WRs makes it worh it

Only reason I can see them cutting Butler is for the money. I think he gives them some savings if cut. It's not a matter of play for me. It's how much he makes.

Maybe approach him for a redo. But if they need money to pay Jonnu, Brown and Davis, then I'd cut Butler for them.