Jump to content

SNF SEA @ AZ


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Most of the "Let Russ Cook" movement was because of how conservative Pete Carroll was in the 1st half of games, not the 2nd half. Essentially, the Seahawks would spend the first half running the ball on 1st and 2nd downs and relying on Wilson to convert 3rd and forevers, and then punt when he couldn't. Rinse and repeat and if the defense wasn't good that day, Wilson spends the entire second half cooking and trying to mount a comeback.

This year of course they're letting Russ do a lot more early in games and it's paying dividends for them. It doesn't mean you can still run the ball and have balance to chew up clock when you're up multiple scores. That said, 122 net yards passing in the 2nd half is not ideal. And they didn't even target DK a single time outside of that screen pass.

Let Russ cook needs to continue to go because of how bad the defense is. It’s worst than Dallas as Dallas defense just gave up another td right now lol. The Seahawks does need to run but being conservative with this defense is asking for to possibly lose. Flashbacks to last season on TNF against the Rams when the Seahawks had a chance to ice the game but odd playcalling allowed the Rams to get the ball back marched down the field and the Seahawks was fortunate Zuerlein missed the game winning field goal. So yeah going conservative with this defense is a bad recipe and it showed last night against the Cards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Let Russ cook needs to continue to go because of how bad the defense is. It’s worst than Dallas as Dallas defense just gave up another td right now lol. The Seahawks does need to run but being conservative with this defense is asking for to possibly lose. Flashbacks to last season on TNF against the Rams when the Seahawks had a chance to ice the game but odd playcalling allowed the Rams to get the ball back marched down the field and the Seahawks was fortunate Zuerlein missed the game winning field goal. So yeah going conservative with this defense is a bad recipe and it showed last night against the Cards. 

Its really odd, because all things considered, Seattle has really good pieces across the board on defense. Ford, Reed, Wagner, Wright, Dunbar, Griffin, Diggs, Amadi are all average to above average players at their respective positions. But, something is just not adding up. Maybe things get better once Adams returns, but maybe not.  

Part of it is probably lack of pass rush. Reed-Ford are both pluggers and offer very little pass rush. Both are getting probably 70% of DT snaps while teams are throwing the ball 40+ times. And Seattle hasnt gotten anything from its ends. 

Alot of it falls on Norton too. Seattle was blitzing alot and getting pressure and hits ; didnt work. Now they sit back and its the same thing. Teams are eating up the soft underneath, and WR's are getting enough time to exploit the openings in Seattles Zone. 

I think another chunk of it is opposing teams being on tilt from the first quarter knowing Russell the offensive are going to put up alot of points. Teams are going for it on 4th down alot more, passing on 1st-2nd down at a high rate, running hurry up offenses, going heavy spread by design early. All things teams were alot less likely to do vs Seattle in previous seasons. Granted this is kind of a chicken and egg thing (Suspect rush = more passing; but also more passing = more suspect coverage).

This is year two of no legit LEO in Pete's scheme. And year two of absolutely dog poo defense. Mayowa is just not the guy. Irvin going down really threw a kink in their plans at Leo, as does Darrell Taylors continuing injury.

The edge rusher market is just ridiculously over saturated at this moment, and Seattle seems very hesitant to commit long term money to ANYONE at this point. This is year 3 of the Post-LOB rebuild, and Seattle's 3rd biggest (Behind Russ-Wagner) financial commitment past 2021 is; a kicker at 4.0.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only glad it didn't end in a tie.

If it did, NBC would probably threaten to walk away from their NFL contract if the league didn't agree to CFB OT rules starting in 2021. NBC would do this because dignity is worth far more than money (they had already broadcast a tie between the same teams a couple years ago).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I'm only glad it didn't end in a tie.

If it did, NBC would probably threaten to walk away from their NFL contract if the league didn't agree to CFB OT rules starting in 2021. NBC would do this because dignity is worth far more than money (they had already broadcast a tie between the same teams a couple years ago).

I tend to read posts first before I look at the username (especially for those without an icon) and I made it to the bold before I laughed out loud and knew exactly who I stumbled upon once again. Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, animaltested said:

Its really odd, because all things considered, Seattle has really good pieces across the board on defense. Ford, Reed, Wagner, Wright, Dunbar, Griffin, Diggs, Amadi are all average to above average players at their respective positions. But, something is just not adding up. Maybe things get better once Adams returns, but maybe not.  

Part of it is probably lack of pass rush. Reed-Ford are both pluggers and offer very little pass rush. Both are getting probably 70% of DT snaps while teams are throwing the ball 40+ times. And Seattle hasnt gotten anything from its ends. 

Alot of it falls on Norton too. Seattle was blitzing alot and getting pressure and hits ; didnt work. Now they sit back and its the same thing. Teams are eating up the soft underneath, and WR's are getting enough time to exploit the openings in Seattles Zone. 

I think another chunk of it is opposing teams being on tilt from the first quarter knowing Russell the offensive are going to put up alot of points. Teams are going for it on 4th down alot more, passing on 1st-2nd down at a high rate, running hurry up offenses, going heavy spread by design early. All things teams were alot less likely to do vs Seattle in previous seasons. Granted this is kind of a chicken and egg thing (Suspect rush = more passing; but also more passing = more suspect coverage).

This is year two of no legit LEO in Pete's scheme. And year two of absolutely dog poo defense. Mayowa is just not the guy. Irvin going down really threw a kink in their plans at Leo, as does Darrell Taylors continuing injury.

The edge rusher market is just ridiculously over saturated at this moment, and Seattle seems very hesitant to commit long term money to ANYONE at this point. This is year 3 of the Post-LOB rebuild, and Seattle's 3rd biggest (Behind Russ-Wagner) financial commitment past 2021 is; a kicker at 4.0.

It'll get better once Adams is healthy and he returns.  He's such a massive game changer when it comes to stopping the run and stopping short passes.  He also adds another great pass rusher to the mix.  Seattle needs help in all those facets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...