Are the Browns a good bad team or a bad good team?

Apparition

They're 5-2 but probably the most uninspiring 5-2 in recent memory. 

Entering Sunday they were 25th in overall DVOA (23rd in offense, 20th in defense) and I doubt winning a nail-biter against one of the league's worst teams would improve that number much. They looked non-competitive against PIT and BAL, both of whom they still have to face once more. 

But they also have been able to win reasonably convincingly against other bad teams (WAS, DAL) and do have the one quality win over IND. 

Looking at their schedule, they still have favorable matchups against HOU, PHI, JAX, NYG and NYJ, which would get them to 10 wins if they take care of business. A playoff spot seems more likely than not, unless some combination of NWE, MIA, LVR and LAC catches up, which would be tough, given their remaining schedules. 

So what do we make of this team? Are they on the rise and surviving their growing pains, or are they still a mediocrity benefiting from a cupcake schedule?

Edited by Starless

Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to them. But from I have seen, they are very sporadic and I wouldn't feel comfortable enough to bet on them against any team in the league right now. No matter how good or bad their opponents are playing at the time. Outside of the Bengals, it's going to be really hard to win in that division with the Ravens and Steelers. 

Gun to my head, I think they look and will finish around the 8 win mark when it's all said and done.

• Like 1

I'd add last year we were an average team becoming a bad one. 

We are too reliant on defense on Myles Garrett's best season as a pro. We probably dont lean on Denzel Ward enough. But the talent around those guys are pretty average, the only other standout player is Sheldon Richardson, he is a fringe very good player. 

They have some Pro Bowl talent in two places on defense (Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward) with a rock solid to great OL and 2 All Pro caliber RB. Their youth shows promise in other places (TE, WR) and they have a roller coaster at quarterback.

Not everyone can get the benefit of playing in the NFC East.

Their pass defense is nothing short of abysmal. They need DB and LB.

A slightly above average team that has gotten 2 wins against a half team in the Bengals, and 2 wins against the NFC LEast.  Their other win against the Colts isn't exactly a signature win either.  They have a good shot of being a playoff team because outside of 4 games, the rest of them are all pretty winnable.  The two tough games they have had they got curb stomped in both 38-6 and 38-7, and it wasn't as close as the score looks in either.

Ravens - L
Bengals - W
Football Team - W
Cowboys - W
Colts - W
Steelers - W
Bengals - W

Remaining games and my prediction:

Raiders - L
Texans - W
Eagles - W
Jaguars - W
Titans - L
Ravens - L
Giants - W
Jets - W
Steelers - L

That would put them at 10-6 with a very good chance at the wild card.  However, none of those L's look like games where I think the Browns pull of an upset, and if they dropped 1 or 2 in that three game stretch of Texans/Eagles/Jaguars wouldn't shock me.  8-8 seems to be the floor, and 10-6 with a rd 1 playoff exit seems to be the ceiling.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Even the Raiders...? I must have missed when they became Pittsburgh / Baltimore.

I think the Raiders are a better team than the Browns, and will have their oline back in time for that game.  They may not lost 38-6, but I think they lose nonetheless.

Edited by THE DUKE

I don't think Browns fans even know what we are right now.

I think we're a decent, young team with the potential to become a good team in the near future. Offensively the pieces are there for us to be very, very good. Just need Baker to be more consistent.

Defensively, we're a mess and I can't even imagine how bad we'd be without Garrett (and to a lesser extent, Ward). We've had injuries defensively, but even healthy, this defense would still be below average. Like, we're so bad defensively that we may be wise to use the vast majority of our draft capital next year to address the defense. We need a LB or two, another EDGE rusher, a safety, and probably another CB.

• Like 1