Are the Browns a good bad team or a bad good team?

Apparition

8 hours ago, SkippyX said:

They will be a 10 win team because they go 4-0 against the NFC Least.

They are dangerous and talented, but clearly the 3rd best team in their own division.

Yeah it sucks when your always a rebuilding team in a division with 2 franchises that have never been bad in the last 20 years. Im sure its how MIA/NYJ feel with New England but just imagine there was 2 New Englands in the AFCE.

Eventually the Browns are going to have to prove themselves on that level in order to break through the wall to the next level.

Average team to slightly above average who hopefully make the playoffs and build off this year.

I've watched most of their games this year condensed, their fans aren't joking when they say the Defence is bad. Garrett is just amazing though.

Remind me of the Brees/Rodgers Saints/Packers defences early in the 2010's who just feasted on forcing turnovers.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Browns are good trending towards great and will be the 2nd best team in the division once Ben is gone. I would expect them to see the playoffs more often than not over the next half decade.

Yeah I can see them making the wildcard this year and maybe winning 1 game. The question is how do they parlay that into next season to really take a big step for the next 5-10 years with this young team.

They have an above average offense (when healthy) and a bad defense.  With a young quarterback, current injuries, etc., I'd say they're average. 

Nick Chubb and Myles Garrett are alphas, flat out.  Offensive line is solid also.  Beyond that, they still have a lot of work to do.  We saw how they faired against Baltimore and Pittsburgh.  They'll have opportunities to play both again and possibly look better, but you can't really take a team too seriously until they go toe to toe with a good team.  They haven't done that yet. 

I do like Stefanski though. We'll see if they can add some pieces to their defense after this season and also if Mayfield develops. 

On 10/26/2020 at 2:10 AM, Starless said:

They're 5-2 but probably the most uninspiring 5-2 in recent memory. 

Entering Sunday they were 25th in overall DVOA (23rd in offense, 20th in defense) and I doubt winning a nail-biter against one of the league's worst teams would improve that number much. They looked non-competitive against PIT and BAL, both of whom they still have to face once more. 

But they also have been able to win reasonably convincingly against other bad teams (WAS, DAL) and do have the one quality win over IND. 

Looking at their schedule, they still have favorable matchups against HOU, PHI, JAX, NYG and NYJ, which would get them to 10 wins if they take care of business. A playoff spot seems more likely than not, unless some combination of NWE, MIA, LVR and LAC catches up, which would be tough, given their remaining schedules. 

So what do we make of this team? Are they on the rise and surviving their growing pains, or are they still a mediocrity benefiting from a cupcake schedule?

I think the term you are looking for is "Hot Garbage" = good bad team.

8 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Edit: Image had inappropriate language

Google image search "Baker Mayfield Cycle" - they are currently at the "play amazing for a game" stage.

Soft

That image has been posted and not removed on our subforum multiple times. :)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah it sucks when your always a rebuilding team in a division with 2 franchises that have never been bad in the last 20 years. Im sure its how MIA/NYJ feel with New England but just imagine there was 2 New Englands in the AFCE.

Eventually the Browns are going to have to prove themselves on that level in order to break through the wall to the next level.

They're not on that level yet. Their defense is suspect, and Mayfield just hasn't proven he's anything more than a game manager at this point. Event that is a bit of a stretch. That being said, if Mayfield can build off of Sunday's game, then they could become dangerous. Still, with their defensive woes and Mayfield's iffy play when pressure starts getting to him- I don't see them going far at all. 

Edited by WizeGuy