Offensive Players to Evaluate with MT10

WindyCity

With Trubisky starting I am not only excited to evaluate him, but also other players on offense. Mike Glennon was such a train wreck that I think it made everyone on offense look worse than they are. His inability to move in the pocket made the OL look worse and his inability to read quickly and deliver accurate passes hurt the WR core.

Guys I am most interested to watch

Kendall Wright: Trubisky has thrived with a slot WR at UNC and Wright has looked good in a Bears uniform despite Glennon being abysmal. He leads the team in receiving and his been wide open and not gotten the ball on multiple occasions. Could Wright be a long term answer in the slot? At 27 and with 1st round pedigree I do not see why not.

Markus Wheaton: I am less optimistic about this one because of health concerns that have been ever present in his career and followed him to Chicago. But we know Trubisky is way more willing to go down field so he has a chance to show something.

Dion Sims: The Bears paid Sims 10 million guaranteed and he was not paid that to block all the time. I am fascinated to see if he can get more involved in the passing game as the Bears 1, pass more and 2, do not need to max protect for a 7' statue anymore. I also think that play action and the boot game are going to be a huge part of the early offense for Trubisky which should feature more Sims catching the ball out of running formations.

Bobbie Massie: People love to rag on Bobbie Massie, but he has been much better this season. I think the negative plays are going to decrease significantly with a QB who can move in the pocket and who has some awareness. Massie is going to get beat by good rushers from time to time and the problem with Glennon is everyone of those was a sack because he cannot move. I think we will see Massie become more than serviceable with Trubisky.

Guys I do not care, or that we won't, see

Josh Bellamy: Do not care, get him off the team as soon as possible.

Deonte Thompson: The Bears need him for this season, but he will not be on the team in 2018, so not long term value.

Adam Shaheen: I just think he is in store for a quiet rookie year like most rookie TEs. I would love to see him get a couple of targets and I think Trubisky would target him more, but he needs to get more than 8 snaps.

Tanner Gentry: They seem to have no desire to get him in the mix.

I don't know why but I am really starting to like Deonte Thompson the more I watch of him. He has legit deep speed and runs surprisingly solid routes. I think he would be a terror on crossers, especially with a deadly accurate QB like Mitch (assuming that carries over to the "real" games).

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't know why but I am really starting to like Deonte Thompson the more I watch of him. He has legit deep speed and runs surprisingly solid routes. I think he would be a terror on crossers, especially with a deadly accurate QB like Mitch (assuming that carries over to the "real" games).

He has developed a lot since 2015, a lot. At Florida he was a deep threat only, and with Muschamp at the helm the offense was always  pretty bad. It's too bad he is already 28, I would like to see him and Trubisky work together for the exact reason you mentioned. That being said, I think a 2 year deal will be on the table if he does well. You add talent to the mix at WR, but don't want to lose all consistency for Trubisky.  I'd be interested more in who meshes better with him, and that is who I'd re-sign between Thompson and Wheaton.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

With Trubisky starting I am not only excited to evaluate him, but also other players on offense. Mike Glennon was such a train wreck that I think it made everyone on offense look worse than they are. His inability to move in the pocket made the OL look worse and his inability to read quickly and deliver accurate passes hurt the WR core.

Guys I am most interested to watch

Kendall Wright: Trubisky has thrived with a slot WR at UNC and Wright has looked good in a Bears uniform despite Glennon being abysmal. He leads the team in receiving and his been wide open and not gotten the ball on multiple occasions. Could Wright be a long term answer in the slot? At 27 and with 1st round pedigree I do not see why not.

Markus Wheaton: I am less optimistic about this one because of health concerns that have been ever present in his career and followed him to Chicago. But we know Trubisky is way more willing to go down field so he has a chance to show something.

Dion Sims: The Bears paid Sims 10 million guaranteed and he was not paid that to block all the time. I am fascinated to see if he can get more involved in the passing game as the Bears 1, pass more and 2, do not need to max protect for a 7' statue anymore. I also think that play action and the boot game are going to be a huge part of the early offense for Trubisky which should feature more Sims catching the ball out of running formations.

Bobbie Massie: People love to rag on Bobbie Massie, but he has been much better this season. I think the negative plays are going to decrease significantly with a QB who can move in the pocket and who has some awareness. Massie is going to get beat by good rushers from time to time and the problem with Glennon is everyone of those was a sack because he cannot move. I think we will see Massie become more than serviceable with Trubisky.

Guys I do not care, or that we won't, see

Josh Bellamy: Do not care, get him off the team as soon as possible.

Deonte Thompson: The Bears need him for this season, but he will not be on the team in 2018, so not long term value.

Adam Shaheen: I just think he is in store for a quiet rookie year like most rookie TEs. I would love to see him get a couple of targets and I think Trubisky would target him more, but he needs to get more than 8 snaps.

Tanner Gentry: They seem to have no desire to get him in the mix.

Shaheen is in a tough spot - with our lack of WR depth right now we really need Miller in there almost every snap, and Sims is the best blocker on a team that needs to be able to focus on the run. Assuming Trubisky doesn’t go bananas and lead us to 8-9 wins in the last 12 games I’d expect he starts to see more reps once we are effectively eliminated. With that said, he definitely has better chemistry with Mitch having worked with him since May than he ever did with Glennon, so his looks may uptick with the QB change right away. He’s the future of the position in the Miller role. 

I’m totally cool with Wright being our long term slot. He’s a steady vet who can get open pretty regularly. Every team needs a guy like that, especially with a young QB. 

Wheaton to me is basically Thompson with a worse health history. Both should be a #4 WR. I want to see both get a lot of run with Mitch though, especially over Bellamy, to see if either can show to be more than that. 

6 hours ago, G08 said:

The more he plays and is targetted the more he is exposed. He dropped big passes last season and I think we will see again why he is a 5 or a KR.

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The more he plays and is targetted the more he is exposed. He dropped big passes last season and I think we will see again why he is a 5 or a KR.

Aside from the TD by from Barkley what was his big drop? I don't remember another honestly, though I might have forgotten of course.

But in the last 7 weeks he caught 21 of his 33 targets. Considering he had 3 passes the previous 9 weeks and wasn't exactly catching passes from a quality QB, that seems far better than you're implying.

17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Aside from the TD by from Barkley what was his big drop? I don't remember another honestly, though I might have forgotten of course.

But in the last 7 weeks he caught 21 of his 33 targets. Considering he had 3 passes the previous 9 weeks and wasn't exactly catching passes from a quality QB, that seems far better than you're implying.

Agreed... I don't recall many other drops of his. Bellamy, absolutely. Meredith too... but Thompson?

This dude has been OPEN multiple times this season and Glennon either didn't see him or threw him a garbage ball.

Archived