Week 8: VIKINGS (1-5) at Packers (5-1)

swede700

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Pretty simple, landing a top QB. It doesn’t always doesn’t work out but you’re not winning meaningful games without one. There look to be three pretty good QBs at the top of the draft this year too, especially Trevor Lawrence. 

Or we can win 7-8 meaningless games and keep the definition of mediocrity under center in Kirk Cousins. 

But I still want to beat Green Bay.

This thread apparently is no longer about the game itself.  But as I indicated in a different thread, you don't have to tank to land a top QB.  Trade options are available.

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

This thread apparently is no longer about the game itself.  But as I indicated in a different thread, you don't have to tank to land a top QB.  Trade options are available.

I agree.  The notion of "tanking" (not playing to win) is an anathema to the spirit of competitive sports.  What makes the 2020 version of the Vikings so disheartening to me is, that for a few players, there just doesn't seem like there is much effort coming from the players and coaches.  It's like the culture for 2020 is "now we know we are a bad team, so let's focus on being good next year."  I find that attitude hard to stomach.

10 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree.  The notion of "tanking" (not playing to win) is an anathema to the spirit of competitive sports.  What makes the 2020 version of the Vikings so disheartening to me is, that for a few players, there just doesn't seem like there is much effort coming from the players and coaches.  It's like the culture for 2020 is "now we know we are a bad team, so let's focus on being good next year."  I find that attitude hard to stomach.

I am with you 1000%. The team ought to be doing everything they can to win this week. This game can be a reset of sorts though. The coaches and players had a bye. They will hopefully come out of it and take it to the most hated Green Bay Packers. It is hard to read too much into the first few games as there was no preseason but if the team doesn't beat down the Packers this week one had to wonder whether the team is focusing on next year already.

38 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am with you 1000%. The team ought to be doing everything they can to win this week. This game can be a reset of sorts though. The coaches and players had a bye. They will hopefully come out of it and take it to the most hated Green Bay Packers. It is hard to read too much into the first few games as there was no preseason but if the team doesn't beat down the Packers this week one had to wonder whether the team is focusing on next year already.

What’s Zimmer’s record after a bye?

31 minutes ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

It would be pretty nice to get one without having to give up a future 1st though

Given what we've gotten from our first round picks to this point... wouldn't be the worst thing to punt the round (Jefferson being the recent exception obviously)

48 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

What’s Zimmer’s record after a bye?

It's not good.  While I don't expect the Vikings to win...let's face it...they have a better defense, better offensive line, and a far superior quarterback...but, I do expect the Vikings to give maximum effort.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Given what we've gotten from our first round picks to this point... wouldn't be the worst thing to punt the round (Jefferson being the recent exception obviously)

Agree.

Rick seems to do better in rounds 3+ than round 1.

You only get a crack at a franchise QB once in a blue moon if you're a team like us. If punting on a 2022 1st can get you that QB, 100% do it.

5 hours ago, babababa said:

There's no need to blow it all up unless next year is just like this one. This is a hard slip, but we should only treat it as such for the moment. And really, I'm not being optimistic, but this season could still change our outlook by the end of the year.

Blowing it all up means years of trying to put it all back together. Sometimes teams can't even figure out how to do that and then they have to blow it all up again within a few years. 

I'd much rather be on the cusp of something great every season rather than wishing and hoping for a so-called savior prospect or 2. First you get your savior prospect, but what about the losing roster that's still accompanying that prospect. I've hated the tank mantra since it started. I've said all I can really even say about it.

4 bad years in the last 7.....that's not good enough (not if I was the owner). So, they haven't been on the cusp more than they have been.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

2020 is shaping up to be the only bad year under Zimmer. Going .500 is not a bad year. 

Ok, 3 good years, and 4 not all that good? How's that? I thought I was pretty clear, but I guess not.....

Looking at their records, year by year, you feel that they've been all that good? All that consistent?

Edited by PrplChilPill