Week 8: VIKINGS (1-5) at Packers (5-1)

swede700

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Looking at the context of those years, yes. 

That's how I've evaluated Zimmer this entire time.  Yes, the records have not been consistent, but in the down years, he's had a lot of varying circumstances happen that played a big part in the record.  People say, if he's a great coach, should be able to overcome it...but that's a lot easier said than done for any coach.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's how I've evaluated Zimmer this entire time.  Yes, the records have not been consistent, but in the down years, he's had a lot of varying circumstances happen that played a big part in the record.  People say, if he's a great coach, should be able to overcome it...but that's a lot easier said than done for any coach.

My only real complaint I have with Zimmer is his general philosophy towards offense. It’s out dated, and, overall, I just don’t believe that he’s forward thinking enough. This year, I think he massively miscalculated what his young defenders were going to be able to do, and I’ve criticized him for failing to have the defense ready, but by no means do I think he can’t get the defense back on track.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 2:07 PM, Virginia Viking said:

I agree.  The notion of "tanking" (not playing to win) is an anathema to the spirit of competitive sports.  What makes the 2020 version of the Vikings so disheartening to me is, that for a few players, there just doesn't seem like there is much effort coming from the players and coaches.  It's like the culture for 2020 is "now we know we are a bad team, so let's focus on being good next year."  I find that attitude hard to stomach.

I agree. At the same time, we as fans aren't involved in that.  We can cheer for the team to try and compete but still lose.  I don't want us to "tank."  I just want us to lose.  As you said, actually tanking is walking a tightrope into the territory of being unethical.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:24 PM, swede700 said:

He gets credit for good years, but not demerit for bad ones? Three good years out of seven is ok with you? How bad does the ratio have to be for it to be on him at all?

9 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

He gets credit for good years, but not demerit for bad ones? Three good years out of seven is ok with you? How bad does the ratio have to be for it to be on him at all?

He gets demerits for the times he has his full strength team and fails, which he has done several times, including in the playoff games, but on the whole, in the bad years, there were extenuating circumstances, ala counting on your best players to be there, but suffer injuries (Bridgewater) or personal behavior (Adrian Peterson) and manage to still pull out nearly .500 records.  I call that a decent coaching job.  The Packers lose Aaron Rodgers after the Barr hit, and they only go 3-7 the rest of the way...did people knock McCarthy for doing a crappy job?  I don't think so. 

This year has been the worst coaching job he's done (to this point), but even so, there have been lots of extenuating circumstances (some of it partially self-inflicted with the offseason planning), with the COVID and the massive injuries to the CBs, Barr and Hunter.  So, I'm letting the season play out before I come to a judgment on the whole.  If he can manage to get the team to a 7-9 record, I think it's a decent job of coaching.  It's not acceptable over the long term and if similar repeats next year, then he's definitely on the hot seat with me.      

Edited by swede700

Spielman on the other hand... he is the one that sent the team into a season with Dokota Dozier and Pat Elflein as starting guards. To make matters worse, the backup was Dru Samia. Not a one of those three had ever showed anything to make one believe they should be starting in the league.

I think that coach Zimmer would look a lot better if the GM did a better job.

32 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Spielman on the other hand... he is the one that sent the team into a season with Dokota Dozier and Pat Elflein as starting guards. To make matters worse, the backup was Dru Samia. Not a one of those three had ever showed anything to make one believe they should be starting in the league.

That's fair.  This is one of those situations where both of them take the blame, as it was a poor decision to rely on those guards to be competent, but even moreso, it was for the past decisions made by Spielman with other players that put Zimmer in that position.  But, in the end, I am remaining patient and see what happens over the course of this year and next.  If they get off to another rocky start next year, then the clock starts ticking.    

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

That's true of every coach, right? If he has great players, he looks a lot smarter.....