Rare jf4l51 Mock

jetsfan4life51

I couldn't tell you the last time I did a full offseason mock.....here we go!

Fire Adam Gase and gut coaching staff

firegase.png

Hire Arthur Smith

**I think Matt Campbell would be great, I really want a college coach, but I don’t see him making the jump**

Let him pick his staff, I like what Tennessee is doing.  Hopefully Vrabel rubbed off on him as well.

Free Agent List

Breshad Perriman WR  WALK

Brian Poole CB  resign 3-4 year deal

Bradley McDougald S WALK

Pierre Desir CB WALK

Jordan Jenkins OLB WALK

Avery Williamson LB WALK

Patrick Onwuasor LB WALK

Neville Hewitt ILB resign 3-4 year deal

Marcus Maye S resign (3 year deal we have money to keep him happy and we need players, but I’m not spending big money or long term on Maye)

Joe Flacco QB WALK

Quincy Wilson CB keep I guess

Matthias Farley S WALK

Chris Hogan WR WALK

Frank Gore RB RETIRE

Daniel Brown TE WALK

Josh Andrews RG WALK

Jordan Willis 34OLB WALK

Arthur Maulet CB resign

Tarell Basham 34OLB resign 4 year deal

Conor McDermott RT WALK

Cuts

CJ Mosley- sorry bud but you bailed this year, injured the entire year prior.  Two years out of football and we need a new culture

Henry Anderson- too many late hits over the years

Free Agent Signings

Marvin Jones WR- loved him coming out of college and he has been reliable for Stafford.  Need a solid vet out there with Crowder that won’t block Mims and another rookie.

Shaq Barrett EDGE- how often do players that are tagged stay with their team long term? Easy for the Jets to overpay to get some type of pass rush who should be able to rush from 4-3 end or stand up at LB.

Ty Sambrailo OL- I’m sure Smith will bring over a few Titans

Vic Beasley OLB- bring in another Titan and try to resurrect career here.  Insurance for not drafting an OLB high

Jacoby Brisset QB- he gets a chance to get paid and compete against a rookie, he ain’t getting a starting job anywhere else

Trades

Sam Darnold plus 2022 5th round pick to Pittsburgh for late 1st round pick: I don’t see any teams in the top 10 trading a 2nd for Sam when they have a shot in the top 10 for the college guys.  Pitt already has a team and good coaching staff in place.

2nd Round pick for 2nd and 4th rounder: JD seems like he likes to trade down for picks.  We have already used three first round picks and will grab an extra 4th to fill out the roster

Draft- basing picks and trades off of JD tendencies

Round 1 (1)- Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson- 6'6 with flowing blonde hair and a strong chin

Round 1 (24-28)- Trey Smith OG Tennessee- instead of trading up to grab a top talent at WR, JD wants to finish the OL 

Round 1 (26-30)- Travis Etienne RB Clemson- we need a #1 RB to help out our QB and we can’t help but love the familiarity Etienne and Lawrence have already.  

Round 2 (top 10)- Chris Olave WR Ohio State- JD trades down for another pick to build depth on the defense.  He knows he will still be able to get a solid WR like he did the previous year with Mims.

Round 3 (1)- Israel Mukuamu CB South Carolina- I like SEC guys and he’s a big corner.  Lack of speed drops him

Round 3 (26-30)- Tuf Borland LB Ohio State- what a name and seems like an all around good LB

Round 4 (1)- Jay Lenard S San Jose State- good tackler, something we lack, and I loved Jim Leonhard when he was here.

Round 4 (top 10)- Adetokunbo Ogundeji DE Notre Dame- pass rusher potential

Round 5 (1)- Charles Snowden OLB Virgina- good in pass coverage

Round 5 (3-5)

Round 6 (1)

Round 7 (mid)

Round 7 (26-30)

Don’t really care what else we do but I think we bring in a ton of young guys instead of buying everyone in Free Agency, just a few steady vets to keep the seats warm for the next 2-3 years.

Depth Chart

QB: Lawrence, Brisset, Morgan

HB: Etienne, Perine, Johnson

WR: Mims, Smith

LT: Becton

LG: Smith, Lewis

😄 McGovern

RG: Clark/GVR/Edoga/Sambrailo

RT: Fant

TE: Herndon, Griffin, Wesco

WR: Jones, Olave

Slot: Crowder, Berrios

DE: Barrett/Beasley, Zuniga, Huff, Basham

DT: Q, Foley, JFM, Shep

Rush: Barrett/Beasley, Basham, Ogu

LB: Cashman, Hewitt, Borland, Snowden, FA

S: Maye, Davis, Lenard

CB: Poole, Austin, Muku, FA, Lamar

Tried to go with what I think JD is going to do.  If it was up to me we trade up into the 1st for a top WR.  I think we should be conservative in FA and slightly overpay for warm bodies to round out the roster.  Definitely grabbing a 2nd tier WR and hopefully 2 DE/LBs and starting to change how we run our defense.

Have at it!

Edited by jetsfan4life51
Forgot to add a player on the depth chart
  • Like 4

Few things...

We can't cut Mosley. His contract is almost fully guaranteed next year. It isnt a year off his contract. He didnt get paid this year, so next year just starts over his 2nd year of his contract.

Next is that we need A LOT more and better than Marvin Jones at WR in FA. He's actually been pretty bad this year and will be 31 as well. There should be a lot better options out there for us.

I love the 1st 4 picks of the draft. Very similar to what I'd love to happen. I must sub out getting a WR with one of our 1sts and seeing if Etienne can slip to the 2nd for us. But I like the positions addressed.

l like the way you think, but some of the players I would change.  I also think we will be more active if FA.  Can't cut Mosley without incurring $12.5M cap hit.  I think the Jets keep him avoiding another hole to fill.

FA:

Barrett will most likely be resigned by TB, they have cap room.  Need to find another team without cap room such as Pitt and grab Dupree. But if Barrett is available - hell yeah.

Thuney, Miller, or Lindsley for OG in FA.

Jones is an OK signing but I would expect a bit more flash at WR in addition to Jones.  Maybe Robinson or JuJu.  There isn't a lot of top end FA WR's that relatively young next year.

Gurely at RB for me.  Good compliment to Perine and Adams.

Trades:

JD seems to like dealing.  How about dealing for a top CB like Lattimore?

Draft:

Trey Smith - If we get an OG in FA, it may not be as high a priority.  Even if we did not, Trey Smith's neck injury scares me.  If we were to pick an iOL that high, go with Wade Davis.  Better yet wait until the end or Rd. 1 or top of Rd. 2 and grab Humphrey.  If we were to acquire Pitts first, I would like a WR.

No on RB especially if we get Gurley.  Too many other positions need filling before RB next year, like CB, EDGE/OLB.

Other than that, I like it.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Few things...

We can't cut Mosley. His contract is almost fully guaranteed next year. It isnt a year off his contract. He didnt get paid this year, so next year just starts over his 2nd year of his contract.

Next is that we need A LOT more and better than Marvin Jones at WR in FA. He's actually been pretty bad this year and will be 31 as well. There should be a lot better options out there for us.

I love the 1st 4 picks of the draft. Very similar to what I'd love to happen. I must sub out getting a WR with one of our 1sts and seeing if Etienne can slip to the 2nd for us. But I like the positions addressed.

Didn't realize that with Mosley.  Ok so we have a good LB lol.

I'm partial to Jones so I picked him, but to go with the theme I think it will be a 2nd tier WR.  If that's Allen Robinson or someone like that I'm good.

I toyed with WR end of the 1st then taking a different RB later in the 2nd but I think JD would wait for a WR like he did this season.  There are plenty of RBs to be had in the 2nd or 3rd, I would much rather a first round WR and sacrifice OG or RB.  If we don't trade down from our 2nd rounder Etienne or WR there is pretty much the same as our Seattle or Pitt pick.

15 minutes ago, xrade said:

l like the way you think, but some of the players I would change.  I also think we will be more active if FA.  Can't cut Mosley without incurring $12.5M cap hit.  I think the Jets keep him avoiding another hole to fill.

FA:

Barrett will most likely be resigned by TB, they have cap room.  Need to find another team without cap room such as Pitt and grab Dupree. But if Barrett is available - hell yeah.

Thuney, Miller, or Lindsley for OG in FA.

Jones is an OK signing but I would expect a bit more flash at WR in addition to Jones.  Maybe Robinson or JuJu.  There isn't a lot of top end FA WR's that relatively young next year.

Gurely at RB for me.  Good compliment to Perine and Adams.

Trades:

JD seems to like dealing.  How about dealing for a top CB like Lattimore?

Draft:

Trey Smith - If we get an OG in FA, it may not be as high a priority.  Even if we did not, Trey Smith's neck injury scares me.  If we were to pick an iOL that high, go with Wade Davis.  Better yet wait until the end or Rd. 1 or top of Rd. 2 and grab Humphrey.  If we were to acquire Pitts first, I would like a WR.

No on RB especially if we get Gurley.  Too many other positions need filling before RB next year, like CB, EDGE/OLB.

Other than that, I like it.

I don't see JD going pulling out the brinks truck on OL or WR.  I think he's going to overpay for pass rush talent so we don't have to address in the draft then he's going to continue to build the offense through the draft and finish off Guard in the first round.  Whether we trade Sam or trade down from the 1st we will have another 1st.  I think he will settle for a 2nd tier WR, not someone like JuJu but with our cap it would be in our best interest to go after him.  

Couldn't come up with any trades for a player to add, but that is something that could make sense, especially if we are wheeling and dealing and end up with 10+ picks.

Wade Davis works for me as well, wasn't sure if he'd go a little higher.

I think JD and new HC are going to overhaul the offense and most, if not all, of our picks will be spent on offense.  Overpay for an edge or CB in FA then use the 3rd and later to fill in the gaps.

47 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

firegase.png

Hire Arthur Smith

**I think Matt Campbell would be great, I really want a college coach, but I don’t see him making the jump**

Let him pick his staff, I like what Tennessee is doing.  Hopefully Vrabel rubbed off on him as well.

Free Agent List

Bradley McDougald S WALK

Pierre Desir CB WALK

Jordan Jenkins OLB WALK

Avery Williamson LB WALK

Patrick Onwuasor LB WALK

Marcus Maye S resign (3 year deal we have money to keep him happy and we need players, but I’m not spending big money or long term on Maye)

Joe Flacco QB WALK

Matthias Farley S WALK

Chris Hogan WR WALK

Frank Gore RB RETIRE

Daniel Brown TE WALK

Josh Andrews RG WALK

Jordan Willis 34OLB WALK

Arthur Maulet CB resign

Conor McDermott RT WALK

Cuts

CJ Mosley- sorry bud but you bailed this year, injured the entire year prior.  Two years out of football and we need a new culture

Free Agent Signings

Marvin Jones WR- loved him coming out of college and he has been reliable for Stafford.  Need a solid vet out there with Crowder that won’t block Mims and another rookie.

Shaq Barrett EDGE- how often do players that are tagged stay with their team long term? Easy for the Jets to overpay to get some type of pass rush who should be able to rush from 4-3 end or stand up at LB.

Vic Beasley OLB- bring in another Titan and try to resurrect career here.  Insurance for not drafting an OLB high

Jacoby Brisset QB- he gets a chance to get paid and compete against a rookie, he ain’t getting a starting job anywhere else

Trades

Sam Darnold plus 2022 5th round pick to Pittsburgh for late 1st round pick: I don’t see any teams in the top 10 trading a 2nd for Sam when they have a shot in the top 10 for the college guys.  Pitt already has a team and good coaching staff in place.

2nd Round pick for 2nd and 4th rounder: JD seems like he likes to trade down for picks.  We have already used three first round picks and will grab an extra 4th to fill out the roster

Round 1 (1)- Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson- 6'6 with flowing blonde hair and a strong chin

Round 1 (24-28)- Trey Smith OG Tennessee- instead of trading up to grab a top talent at WR, JD wants to finish the OL 

Round 1 (26-30)- Travis Etienne RB Clemson- we need a #1 RB to help out our QB and we can’t help but love the familiarity Etienne and Lawrence have already.  

Round 2 (top 10)- Chris Olave WR Ohio State- JD trades down for another pick to build depth on the defense.  He knows he will still be able to get a solid WR like he did the previous year with Mims.

Round 3 (1)- Israel Mukuamu CB South Carolina- I like SEC guys and he’s a big corner.  Lack of speed drops him

Round 3 (26-30)- Tuf Borland LB Ohio State- what a name and seems like an all around good LB

Round 4 (1)- Jay Lenard S San Jose State- good tackler, something we lack, and I loved Jim Leonhard when he was here.

Round 5 (3-5)

Round 6 (1)

Round 7 (mid)

Round 7 (26-30)

Don’t really care what else we do but I think we bring in a ton of young guys instead of buying everyone in Free Agency, just a few steady vets to keep the seats warm for the next 2-3 years.

Depth Chart

😄 McGovern

Tried to go with what I think JD is going to do.  If it was up to me we trade up into the 1st for a top WR.  I think we should be conservative in FA and slightly overpay for warm bodies to round out the roster.  Definitely grabbing a 2nd tier WR and hopefully 2 DE/LBs and starting to change how we run our defense.

Have at it!

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I don't see JD going pulling out the brinks truck on OL or WR.  I think he's going to overpay for pass rush talent so we don't have to address in the draft then he's going to continue to build the offense through the draft and finish off Guard in the first round.  Whether we trade Sam or trade down from the 1st we will have another 1st.  I think he will settle for a 2nd tier WR, not someone like JuJu but with our cap it would be in our best interest to go after him.  

Couldn't come up with any trades for a player to add, but that is something that could make sense, especially if we are wheeling and dealing and end up with 10+ picks.

Wade Davis works for me as well, wasn't sure if he'd go a little higher.

I think JD and new HC are going to overhaul the offense and most, if not all, of our picks will be spent on offense.  Overpay for an edge or CB in FA then use the 3rd and later to fill in the gaps.

If JD's first draft is any indication, he went with our two biggest problem areas (OT, WR) first then went for high upside players who slid a bit regardless of position (Davis, Hall).  The point is, yes the O will be addressed at least with QB, but do not rule out EDGE or CB in the first or second.  I know many on this site want to go strictly for O, but JD seems to take a more balanced approach like this years draft.  He will address CB/EDGE early because they are big problem areas as well as QB, WR, iOL.

There’s an expectation that we are going to be aggressive in FA. I’m not sure I buy that. We’re building this thing through the draft and that’s what you’ve done with this mock. I do hope we get one of the top WRs in FA though as we are going to be out of range of the top tier guys with the Seattle pick.

I absolutely love the first 4 picks of your draft. Becton and Smith on the left side would be a nasty dual. Just straight tossing guys. Etienne reminds of Kamara and is worth it even though we’ll hear all the positional value stuff.

Looking at your depth chart, the only areas I see where we can continue building are TE (if Herndon doesn’t step up), possibly WR (if Mims and Olave show to be only good #2s or #3s) and corner will likely be the focal point in 2022.

This is the kid offseason I’m hoping for though. We won’t be a playoff team since we have sooo many holes. But it’s a nice step in the right direction. And Lawrence has support.

In this scenario, if I’m JD, I would trade those remaining unassigned draft picks for higher picks in 2022. Keep drafting 9-10 players every year.

Edited by SDotNova

49 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

firegase.png

Hire Arthur Smith

Free Agent List

Bradley McDougald S WALK

Pierre Desir CB WALK

Jordan Jenkins OLB WALK

Avery Williamson LB WALK

Patrick Onwuasor LB WALK

Joe Flacco QB WALK

Matthias Farley S WALK

Chris Hogan WR WALK

Frank Gore RB RETIRE

Daniel Brown TE WALK

Josh Andrews RG WALK

Jordan Willis 34OLB WALK

Arthur Maulet CB resign

Conor McDermott RT WALK

Cuts

Free Agent Signings

Trades

Round 5 (3-5)

Round 6 (1)

Round 7 (mid)

Round 7 (26-30)

Depth Chart

😄 McGovern

Have at it!

I like the draft, your idea of getting a young offensive guard is the way to go.

9 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

There’s an expectation that we are going to be aggressive in FA. I’m not sure I buy that. We’re building this thing through the draft and that’s what you’ve done with this mock. I do hope we get one of the top WRs in FA though as we are going to be out of range of the top tier guys with the Seattle pick.

I absolutely love the first 4 picks of your draft. Becton and Smith on the left side would be a nasty dual. Just straight tossing guys. Etienne reminds of Kamara and is worth it even though we’ll hear all the positional value stuff.

Looking at your depth chart, the only areas I see where we can continue building are TE (if Herndon doesn’t step up), possibly WR (if Mims and Olave show to be only good #2s or #3s) and corner will likely be the focal point in 2022.

This is the kid offseason I’m hoping for though. We won’t be a playoff team since we have sooo many holes. But it’s a nice step in the right direction. And Lawrence has support.

In this scenario, if I’m JD, I would trade those remaining unassigned draft picks for higher picks in 2022. Keep drafting 9-10 players every year.

The only reason I expect us to be aggressive in FA is because we have the most cap space and teams that are struggling with cap space would let good players go.  Those good players could be had at below market value relative to past years and there will be less competition so bidding wars will be reduced.  It just "feels" like the right time to spend a bit.

Another reason is that a new coach is going to be looking at all that cap we have and he will want JD to spend a chunk to get players to at least head this team in the right direction.

I believe in building through the draft and I most definitely do not want to overpay ( I am sure you figured that out about me by now), so next year is a good year to NOT overpay AND get good players to fill holes.  This way day three or even day two draft picks are not forced to start before they are ready.

51 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

1) Agreed, def not going to be aggressive but we will have enough funds to make guys happy here.  I see JD going with a safe vet #2-3 kind of guy that is reliable.  That way it's insurance plus that player doesn't necessarily block Mims and rookie from playing time.  While it would be a great problem to have, if we sign JuJu and have Crowder then we have Mims, rookie, Cager, Smith, Smith, Berrios all battling out and not enough reps.  Berrios will play, Mims looks like he will play, Cager and Smith looked good limited.  Would be hard to get the rookie in.

2) Herndon has one year left to prove it and we'll see if Arthur can make some magic.

3) Agreed, I would hope so, or trade up to get your guys this year.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

As I’ve stated... we have no choice but to be aggressive. We have 90mill in cap space to spend with no one to pay if our own

I'm not sold on Arthur Smith as the next HC. 

We better do more at WR than that.

As much as I love Darnold, he has to go somewhere else that hopefully rebuilds his confidence and can give him a real chance. This organization failed him so badly and its sad to me because hes a good kid and very talented. No one would have succeeded with what he had the past 3 years. Hiring Gase ruined him. 

Edited by NYJets4716