Cowboys News and Memes - Offseason edition

Matts4313

21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

^^ Granted, against some trash QBs. But still good to see growth. 

I think he's a keeper. I also think we have a player in Wilson, which is why I'd be disappointed in seeing us add a SS. Don't think he'd really fit as that FS type.

2 hours ago, D82 said:

I think he's a keeper. I also think we have a player in Wilson, which is why I'd be disappointed in seeing us add a SS. Don't think he'd really fit as that FS type.

I agree. You really have 2 big holes in the secondary right now, and adding a SS leaves you with... 2 big holes. So I especially do not think it makes a lot of sense to spend money in FA on a guy like Keanu Neal.

That said, I’m not so sold on Donavan Wilson that I’d pass on a blinking light player (Nasirldeen in round 3, maybe?) at all points in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
2 hours ago, D82 said:

I agree. You really have 2 big holes in the secondary right now, and adding a SS leaves you with... 2 big holes. So I especially do not think it makes a lot of sense to spend money in FA on a guy like Keanu Neal.

That said, I’m not so sold on Donavan Wilson that I’d pass on a blinking light player (Nasirldeen in round 3, maybe?) at all points in the draft. 

I think Wilson could easily play FS. Will he be Earl or Reed? Obviously not. But as a rule of thumb, out of the 32 starting FS's in the NFL, only about ~2-3 of them stand out. The rest are all in the same tier (acceptable) or worse. 

43 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think Wilson could easily play FS. Will he be Earl or Reed? Obviously not. But as a rule of thumb, out of the 32 starting FS's in the NFL, only about ~2-3 of them stand out. The rest are all in the same tier (acceptable) or worse. 

I would argue that the difference between the 4th best FS and the 32nd FS in the NFL is much larger than that. 

Could you put him back there? Sure. But I don’t think it maximizes his skillset if you do that. I suspect that if they do play him at FS, he’ll be a Cowboys’ fan whipping boy by the end of the season, vs. a fan favorite at SS.

20 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I would argue that the difference between the 4th best FS and the 32nd FS in the NFL is much larger than that. 

Could you put him back there? Sure. But I don’t think it maximizes his skillset if you do that. I suspect that if they do play him at FS, he’ll be a Cowboys’ fan whipping boy by the end of the season, vs. a fan favorite at SS.

I mean, I did say acceptable or worse. I would venture to guess that the difference between Wilson and a #5-10 FS is not a large gap at all. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I mean, I did say acceptable or worse. I would venture to guess that the difference between Wilson and a #5-10 FS is not a large gap at all. 

I definitely don’t agree with this, and especially in Dan Quinn’s defense. SS and FS are not really interchangeable positions for him, and based on what we saw out of him (and every other safety on our roster) at centerfield in 2020, we don’t have a good fit at FS on the roster.

Would he be the worst player ever at FS? Certainly not. But I really think the fit is not ideal. Like putting Connor Williams at LT or Neville Gallimore at DE. Sure you could play them there, but you probably aren’t maximizing your talent by making those changes.

The ideal scenario, far and away, if to get an FS and let Wilson go make plays at SS.

5 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I definitely don’t agree with this, and especially in Dan Quinn’s defense. SS and FS are not really interchangeable positions for him, and based on what we saw out of him (and every other safety on our roster) at centerfield in 2020, we don’t have a good fit at FS on the roster.

Would he be the worst player ever at FS? Certainly not. But I really think the fit is not ideal. Like putting Connor Williams at LT or Neville Gallimore at DE. Sure you could play them there, but you probably aren’t maximizing your talent by making those changes.

The ideal scenario, far and away, if to get an FS and let Wilson go make plays at SS.

Tell me your top 10 FS and how big of a gap there is. 

Aside from that, its really hard to judge safety play unless you watch the all-22; which I admittedly didnt do this year since we sucked.

36 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Tell me your top 10 FS and how big of a gap there is. 

Aside from that, its really hard to judge safety play unless you watch the all-22; which I admittedly didnt do this year since we sucked.

Yeah man, I don’t chart every safety in the NFL on a weekly basis and maintain comprehensive rankings on every FS out there. Nor do I want to spend time cobbling together a list of good players so you can try to find some stat that suggests Wilson is at that level (which I’m sure you could, because he’s a really good player).

What I do watch is the Cowboys and what I have spent time doing is understanding Dan Quinn’s defense. I feel pretty confident that Donovan Wilson would be a liability as a full time free safety back there based on what he showed in 2020, and that there are definitely a lot of players in the NFL where that would not be the case. And in addition to that, I don’t think he’d be a liability at all playing the other safety spot, so having him play full time FS is really not maximizing his talent.

5 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah man, I don’t chart every safety in the NFL on a weekly basis and maintain comprehensive rankings on every FS out there. Nor do I want to spend time cobbling together a list of good players so you can try to find some stat that suggests Wilson is at that level (which I’m sure you could, because he’s a really good player).

Thats kinda my point though. Most positions in the NFL, if I asked for a top 10, you could spit out a list with minimal effort. You cant do it at safety, because there arent enough special safeties and they are hard to evaluate. 

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats kinda my point though. Most positions in the NFL, if I asked for a top 10, you could spit out a list with minimal effort. You cant do it at safety, because there arent enough special safeties and they are hard to evaluate. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m taking about not putting a player in a position where he’ll be a liability. Not about finding a special talent.

It’s like you are arguing that we might as well put Antwaun Woods back there, because if they aren’t special at it, then it literally doesn’t matter their talent level. Wilson, like all of our safeties in 2020, was not good in those spots. He’s a better fit at SS in this defense.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m taking about not putting a player in a position where he’ll be a liability. Not about finding a special talent.

It’s like you are arguing that we might as well put Antwaun Woods back there, because if they aren’t special at it, then it literally doesn’t matter their talent level. Wilson, like all of our safeties in 2020, was not good in those spots. He’s a better fit at SS in this defense.

It's kinda like when we put Byron at safety when he was a much better player at CB. You want to put your players in position to succeed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, this Dak being left out of the hype video thing is ridiculous.

Someone obviously made a conscious decision to leave Dak out of it. I’d guess it was some low-level video editor and Derek Eagleton was too busy to give it a proper review. Cop to it, and move on. They’re turning it into a story by making it feel like a coverup.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz