2020 Week #8 GDT Steelers at Ravens

Steeler Hitman

46 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I can’t see him being moved. He alone equals so much depth and versatility on the backend. It would have to be for something significant. 

I don’t believe the Gilmore rumor, but that’s the kind of significance I’m taking about. Gilmore outside, bumps Nelson inside, moves Hilton into that hybrid S/CB role more, potentially aligns with Edmunds moving to backer in more sets and Hilton at SS. I don’t think that’s it, but Sutton does strike me as a guy Bill would love. 

Gilmore from the Pats? I haven't heard any rumors. 

Just now, wwhickok said:

Look at last year

I don't keep track of the refs, but expect a few questionable calls as part of watching this league. I expect tomlin to miss a challenge and I expect the team to let up if they get a lead. I wasn't shocked they let the titans back into the game last week. 

I think we lose this game and win the next ravens game.  I know we can win, but did the titans game take too much out of the team and is Spillane out? Ravens have had extra time to get prepared for this game.

It would be nice to go 3-0 on this road trip vs playoff teams, but we will have to earn it, no easy games here. 

54 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I can’t see him being moved. He alone equals so much depth and versatility on the backend. It would have to be for something significant. 

I don’t believe the Gilmore rumor, but that’s the kind of significance I’m taking about. Gilmore outside, bumps Nelson inside, moves Hilton into that hybrid S/CB role more, potentially aligns with Edmunds moving to backer in more sets and Hilton at SS. I don’t think that’s it, but Sutton does strike me as a guy Bill would love. 

Sutton should stay, trade Hilton. Now what is this about Gilmore though? Do we have the cap space to bring him here?  Did you just think of this possible trade or is it out there in the rumour world ? I looked, never saw it....

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Gilmore from the Pats? I haven't heard any rumors. 

Its been floated around twitter - from fans mind you. I dont believe it, I am just using that an the example of how significant the deal would have to be for me to flip Sutton. 

Sutton's going to get a nice contract, but he isnt going to break the bank. I think there is a really good chance he is back with us next year. I think there is an outside chance we get Hitlon AND Sutton back, though it would probably come at the expense of a guy like Haden. But I wouldnt let him go cheap - it would have to be a massive gamechanger, which Gilmore could be. 

But again -- its a fan lead rumor, nothing with any sort of footing. 

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Sutton should stay, trade Hilton. Now what is this about Gilmore though? Do we have the cap space to bring him here?  Did you just think of this possible trade or is it out there in the rumour world ? I looked, never saw it....

....this is why I should never use examples. 🤐

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

but we never did this last year. 

th?id=OIP.iDGDVFLBes5VvMx4N1AyTgHaEK&pid

October 19, 2019 in the 26-23 loss that Marlon Humphrey stripped Ju Ju.

Lamar Jackson stats versus Steelers: 19 of 28 161 yards 1 TD 3 INT's QBR 54.9

Rushing 14 for 70 yards 5 sacks 

That was the NFL's MVP they did that to!  By far his worst game statistically and efficiency wise. They lost to Cleveland and Kansas City in regular season and had an ugly win against Arizona, but his numbers were better in all these games including the play-off upset versus Tennessee. Do I expect that kind of performance again, from Lamar, NO!  That was the formula of how to slow down Lamar. If the Steelers had any semblance of an offense last year, they win that game. Mason was knocked out and Duck came in off the bench. 

How do you do this?

Inside pressure on passes, staying in your area (containment), forcing him to pass in smaller windows - - tight zone coverage with a fast spy

How about man coverage and then a spy?

Problem with man is your back is turned to the QB. If you get good coverage and don't have great pressure or there is an opening, he kills you with his speed on running. We have seen this many times.

Zones might work but then Lamar should find receivers or break the would be tackles.

The only advantage to the zone is you should be able to see what he is doing. However, he is such an athletic freak, he can still beat you running. He's elusive and hard to tackle like WR Dionte Johnson, but with even MORE speed. Much more!

He's difficult to defend, but what teams have done so and how did they do it?

Re-watch the 2019 game at Heinz Field. Then imagine any type of offense to go with that defensive effort.

Last year they killed us with reserves yet we needed to win to get into the playoffs.

They made some adjustments and again, our inability to move the ball and score on offense killed us. They have a heck of a defense. Everyone had already figured out how to beat Mason and Duck. They wore our defense down that game. They did to us what we used to do to Cleveland at the end of the year with Landry Jones and other back-ups. We were not in their class as a team in 2018 without a good QB. Truthfully, even with Ben, they were clearly the better team last year.

This better be a statement game of all things as a result.  NO excuses now, ben is here and playing good usually. If he throws 3 Int's, then call it a loss

I think that statement goes for either QB and team. These are two very good football teams. I also think that we shouldn't under-estimate the fact that the Steelers beat a pretty darn good Titan team in Tennessee playing 28 minutes and 46 seconds of good football with three turnovers. Think about that!  This Steelers team has played only one complete game and yes yet to consistently fire on all cylinders offensively and defensively.   The offense still has their moments and unlike last year the defense is giving up a lot of big plays and missing some opportunities, loose balls and tipped passes as well. I am not real confident about winning this game in all honesty, but they do have  a blueprint to defend and try to beat the Ravens.

Even with our faults on both sides of the ball, the 2020 version of the Steelers is MUCH better than the 2019 version that had very solid defense and an offense that struggled to put up more than 20 points a game. The defense is strong, but hasn't been as dominant due to some big plays. However, I think the defense is still better overall because the run defense improved immensely. 

Edited by Steeler Hitman
type-o

I don't keep track of the refs, but expect a few questionable calls as part of watching this league.

The calls have been very inconsistent. It is hard to understand how to play and what hey are calling and letting go. After Spillane's monster hit on Derrick Henry, the Titans ran a rub play and Minkah did hold the TE, but he was clearly blocked early. No call for the pick-play/Offensive PI, but then the Steelers did the same thing to Claypool and they call Offensive PI. If you are going to make calls, then call them both ways.

I expect Tomlin to miss a challenge and I expect the team to let up if they get a lead. I wasn't shocked they let the Titans back into the game last week. 

It is time to break from those old habits. I am not going to simply expect it and accept it. They have an assistant HC and Terryl Austin is supposed to help in making a more sound choice to challenge.  If they get a lead, stop taking your foot off the gas so to speak. I rewatched the game and the Steelers did a lot of self-inflicted stuff that game. They were fortunate in the first drive not to turn the ball over and then at the end of the second quarter they could have attempted to add three more points. A false start and then a bad decision to throw a Hail Mary rather than a sideline out or two to get closer. Lastly, tipped balls that didn't go our way. Minkah misses on the completion to Humphrey and Vince Williams barely misses tipping the ball on the long TD pass run to AJ Brown. Ball is at worst knocked down or tipped up as it looks like Minkah was playing for the tip. It is a game of inches, but I expect them all Ben included to make better decisions. We can bash them somewhat but how many games do you win on the road against a very good football turning the ball over three times? I remember when they would have lost that game. That's the difference between a championship team and not making it to the play-offs. We have seen that too. Good years, we win those close ugly ones and win ugly. Bad years, we lose those close ugly games and lose ugly!

I think we lose this game and win the next ravens game.  I know we can win, but did the titans game take too much out of the team and

Honestly, everything is lined up for that to happen. In my best case scenario, I hoped that we would split with the Ravens. Maybe we play a game like they did in 2017 in Baltimore when they won 26-9.

is Spillane out? Ravens have had extra time to get prepared for this game.

ARTICLE

Tomlin Happy With Spillane’s Performance, Says Shoulder Is Fine After Collision With Henry

Courtesy of Steelers Depot

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/10/tomlin-happy-with-spillanes-performance-says-shoulder-is-fine-after-collision-with-henry/

It would be nice to go 3-0 on this road trip vs playoff teams, but we will have to earn it, no easy games here. 

Every week is something else. The more you win the more pressure that you feel. Teams begin to get up for playing you as well. That was Coach Tomlin's theme in 2008. Regardless of the outcome of this game, I expect Dallas and Cincinnati to come out throwing haymakers at the Steelers. You are only as good as your last game during the regular season. Fortunately there is a tomorrow. My concern is where this team is as they play for the play-offs and a championship in December, January, and February. The 2017 season left a bad taste in my mouth after going 13-3 which should have been 15-1.  That team went one and dud! And has not recovered from all of that until 2020. 

Break the cycles this team at times goes through:

1. Slow start and then play like crazy to just get into the play-offs.

2. Start fast and then fade at the end.

3. Start slow, rebound in the middle and die the final four weeks. 

There are going to be off days/games that they may just beat you. No excuses. 

My hope is this team starts playing consistent complimentary football week in and week out. If they play for six quarters like they have against Cleveland and the first half (28:46) of the Titans game, they will be a very difficult football team for ANY TEAM to beat. So often the Steelers are their own worst enemies. 

• Like 1

Spillane is going to known by other soon.

as for last years game at Hines field, Lets hope that formula is followed again.  If JJSS fumbles it better be a comparable type of hit because that was quite a defensive play that caused the FF. 

Will the defence get their stats this week as they didn't last week. A few more S/FF TO's would help in a game like this

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

So in all honesty I don't expect our running game to do much of anything Sunday

This is another stiff test for our defense. Your team has a four-headed monster approach to rushing with QB Jackson, Ingram, Edwards and Dobbins.  This is honestly somewhat scary because they all can do some things to trip up your run defense.  My hope is that the Steelers put the Ravens in obvious passing situations. They then have to play more consistent third down defense as they did for the great six quarters of football (Browns first half Titans).  My hope is to steal a possession or two from the Ravens offense by forcing a turnover somehow. 

so I'm really not too sure how we can attack you at all.

No big secret here. Watch most any game the Steelers played Tom Brady and the Patriots. He is deadly accurate and very good at reading the zone and delivering in the tight windows. Not Lamar's game, but he has scramble ability and a better arm for deep balls. Marquise Brown deep and some intermediate passing to the TE's. Your TE's versus our LB's and Edmunds. You have an advantage there. 

Our interior o-line has been bullied all year in the run game so I don't expect really much of anything on the ground save a few scrambles by Lamar if he decides to break the pocket.  I think in order to move the ball we're going to have to throw 35+ times and outside of the Cleveland game week 1 our passing game has looked really mediocre/downright bad at times.

I think ideally, this is what Pittsburgh would prefer. The Ravens ran well last year and the threat of a mobile/running QB doesn't help. we would prefer to keep him in the pocket. If he beats us that way. Congratulations!!! Pick your poison as I said to the Titans Nation last week. We didn't want Henry carving us up and wearing down our defense. 

I think the only way we can really win Sunday is with an incredible defensive performance because I don't see our offense scoring many points outside of short field opportunities.

This is a crazy game and you never know. I know our teams match up well against each other, Although built differently, we play the same physical style of football, but attack differently on offense and defense. 

Defensively we're going to have to make it a knock-around, drag-out, old fashioned 23-20 type game with a few timely turnovers like the Ravens/Steelers games of old if we want to win IMO.

Agreed. We have had some ball security issues from various people all year, so I am hopeful the Steelers clean that up. A punt is better than an untimely fumble for INT. 

If you guys spread us out with 4-5 wide you will probably move the ball a bit - our top 3 corners are great

A bit of my concern for the Steelers because those top three have all had success against us at times (Humphrey won the game last year in Pittsburgh stripping Ju Ju and has played well overall against Pittsburgh every meeting, Smith has played against Ben and played well too in the past, Peters is one of the leagues better cover guys and has had some success picking off Pittsburgh passers.  He is also who I would want to attack more. If he gets beat,, he has a tendency to get down on himself and out of his game (strengths).  I would try to frustrate him with Claypool or the smaller quicker Dionte Johnson.  If we can get to Peters, the airways may open up. Ben has to be patient as well which is not always.  Tipped balls and errant throws are not his friend this week!

but we've lost our #3/4/5 corners due to injury already so I'm not sure how many receivers we can feasibly cover for 2+ seconds without using safeties/LBs/etc...which will obviously cause some mismatches.

Ebron, Washington and Ju Ju should try to get one on one depending on the situation and personnel. As I put in the GDT scouting report, I would use Vance McDonald more. Ben has done a great job missing it up with his receivers. 

We're going to have to get instant pressure most of this game to neutralize your offense and that's what Yannick was brought in to help do...we'll see how that plan works out Sunday.

NO QB likes pressure and getting hit. I don't know if blitzing Ben for four quarters is smart. He is a veteran and pretty heady at reading the defense. He has been getting rid of the ball very quickly. The Browns and Titans had some success tipping balls and getting their hands on the quick throws. I would counter by going back to something Ben has been good at in the past: The pump fake!  It gets the rushers off their feet and the coverage guys reacting. He caught Cleveland and Philadelphia with this after they were anticipating his passing timing well early by pumping. It led to long pass completions and long pass catch and run scores. 

The blitz can be concerning, but what I would fear more is pressure with your front four. If Yannick can get there without having other blitz, that can be a problem. Steelers have done a decent job of protecting Ben from sacks and getting hit a lot. That must continue this week. 

I greatly appreciate the input. You definitely gave me some things to think on. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we'll probably lose this one. Just a feeling. 

same here

playing at B-more is always tough and they are coming off a bye too? Steelers also always have one ugly game a yr and I can see this being it. we might lose something like 31-14