Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

Prior to this week I was in favor of drafting a corner in round one. Now that we have Adoree Jackson, I think we should spend that pick on an o-lineman or a pass rusher.

The former might be the greater need, honestly. Imagine last year's offensive starters, minus Zeitler, trying to protect Daniel Jones. Out of that group, Andrew Thomas is the only one I really trust to get the job done. 😬

I think Andrew Thomas will be alright. I know Nick Gates will be ok; I have a lot of confidence in him. Will Hernandez has been working with Duke Manyweather this offseason, and if anyone can get him right, it is Duke. He was already a decent guard, but hopefully this gets him to the next level. RT will be Peart if he is ready, Solder if he is not. Solder is the insurance policy. He was a replacement level tackle the last year he played, but there is no telling what we are getting after he took the year off. We'll have to see. Hopefully Peart steps up. The other guard spot is where it could get hairy. Lemeiux was really bad in pass pro last year. Good run blocker though. 

We have 3 spots I feel ok with. None I feel great about. 2 are question marks. Ultimately, it all comes down to the development of these young guys. If our starting OL is Thomas-Lemieux-Gates-Hernandez-Peart, every starting OL is under 26 years old. Thomas is 22, Lemieux 23, Gates 25, Hernandez 25, Peart 23. That is insanely young. They have talent, but they need reps and good teachers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

We have 3 spots I feel ok with. None I feel great about. 2 are question marks. Ultimately, it all comes down to the development of these young guys. If our starting OL is Thomas-Lemieux-Gates-Hernandez-Peart, every starting OL is under 26 years old. Thomas is 22, Lemieux 23, Gates 25, Hernandez 25, Peart 23. That is insanely young. They have talent, but they need reps and good teachers.

I would like to limit our question marks, we need to bring in another guard, or if possible use an early pick on an lineman that can play either guard or tackle. Lemieux was dreadful at passing blocking I don't have much trust in him. Peart I want to believe in, but he has never taken all the snaps for a full game, and Solder was horrible the last time he played, now he is playing a different position with a year off, that not quality insurance.  I think the o-line can be okay with one question mark, not two.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:41 PM, Gmen said:

An edge defender would round out this offseason nicely.  Gregory Rousseau in round one, Jayson Oweh in round two are both good options IMO

Would be surprised if he got to round 2 after today

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone back and forth, all over the place for the Giants pick at 11. I was sold on a WR at first, flopped back to an OL, most likely Slater, went to Parsons for a quick second, but now I think I may have sold myself on the Giants making one of the early headscratcher, "reach" picks in 2021 and taking an edge guy at 11. I'm thinking it will either be Ojulari or Oweh. 

At 11, I don't see a situation where they won't have their choice of the edge rushers. They have done their homework on all of these guys; Judge and Graham were at Penn State's pro day, and Judge has a connection with Kirby Smart to discuss Ojulari. They are very different players and I'm not sure which one the Giants like more. Ojulari comes in with an array of pass rush moves already and he's battle tested, having competed in the SEC. Oweh meanwhile is a total projection; he didn't record a single sack last year, but oozes physical talent and was a really good run defender last year. I'm curious if Judge and co want a guy who can come in immediately and contribute, or a guy they can mold and has potential to be a top flight edge defender, both against the run and pass.

From everything I've read, Parsons is not truly an option at 11 for us. If we go defense, there is a solid chance we take the first front-7 defensive player in the draft, which is truly interesting, no matter who we take. Judge, Gettleman and co will have their choice of a box defender, and the one they take says a lot about the player and the coaching staff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I've gone back and forth, all over the place for the Giants pick at 11. I was sold on a WR at first, flopped back to an OL, most likely Slater, went to Parsons for a quick second, but now I think I may have sold myself on the Giants making one of the early headscratcher, "reach" picks in 2021 and taking an edge guy at 11. I'm thinking it will either be Ojulari or Oweh. 

I have gone back and fourth as well, I am all in for Parsons. From what I been hearing he is the best pass rusher in this draft. We have a good defensive line, we have a great secondary, outside of Blake Martinez we have nothing at linebacker. Add Parsons to this defense and we are easily going to be a top 3 defense. As for his off the field issues, we have two coaches on this staff that was with Penn St, also I believe Saquan was on the team with Parsons for a season so the Giants should know who Parsons really is. 

I don't see Gettleman taking a project with out first round pick, Mara said this is a playoff team. I do believe this is the make it or break it year for Gettleman. These free agents moves are win now moves, his first round draft pick should be a win now move as well.

For me Parsons first round, draft a guard in the second round, get another run stuffing DL with the 3rd pick and we are good to go.

https://www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2021/4/7/22370678/nfl-draft-ny-giants-have-checkered-history-drafting-offensive-tackles-over-past-decade

I
've always been for drafting tackles but perhaps it's time to try a new approach since we've allocated the most draft capital to it over the past decade and still haven't found a stud. A playmaking, thorn in your side, pass rushing LB is something we haven't had in forever. I'd be much in favor of Parsons.

Id be more than happy if the giants drafted AV Tucker USC to man the LG position and let our other guards battle it out for the RG position.  Then select an edge rusher with our 2nd.

Tucker isn't projected to go as high as 11, although I disagree as I believe his value is higher than most mock drafts put him.  Perhaps even trading down a few spots in the first to select him or an edge.

I have to say that dave has done a lot with giving Jones some better targets but still believe that if we don't address the O line early in this draft all the additions will be for not if they can't keep Jones protected.

I don't think drafting another OL early is the best decision, especially with these guys that opted out last year. They are going to need ramp up time, and they may not be a factor at all this year. I think the Giants like the talent of the guys they drafted recently, and they have confidence in their ability to develop them. They are banking on Matt Peart winning the RT job and playing well. They are banking on Andrew Thomas carrying over his play from the end of last year and manning the LT spot. They are banking on Nick Gates improving after his first ever season playing center. The talent is there on the OL, except for maybe at one of the guard spots. 

21 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I don't think drafting another OL early is the best decision, especially with these guys that opted out last year. They are going to need ramp up time, and they may not be a factor at all this year. I think the Giants like the talent of the guys they drafted recently, and they have confidence in their ability to develop them. They are banking on Matt Peart winning the RT job and playing well. They are banking on Andrew Thomas carrying over his play from the end of last year and manning the LT spot. They are banking on Nick Gates improving after his first ever season playing center. The talent is there on the OL, except for maybe at one of the guard spots. 

Right...which is why I'd like for them to address the LG spot early.  Jones can have all the talent in the world at receiver but if the line doesn't play any better than it did, he'll be laying on his back.

46 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The talent is there on the OL, except for maybe at one of the guard spots. 

Maybe one of the guard positions? Lemieux was horrible at pass protection and Hernandez was pretty much benched for Lemieux. With out  Zeitler I would say there are big questions at both guard positions. Which is why we need to spend an early round pick on a guard.

• Like 1