Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

Agreed. The good news is that 40+ are there, and more could show up later.

The oddsmakers, once again reminding us that weed is legal in Vegas, have us favored in only five games. I will enjoy watching the Giants prove them wrong.

LOL...Even if our offense falls on it's face, our defense should have the odd makers a little more optimistic on our record. 

8 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Off topic, but any golfers/hackers in this thread?

Had some questions about GPS devices if anyone uses them.

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm so far behind the curve that I don't have a smartphone.

I beat my grandfather at mini-golf once though, and he's pretty good! 😆

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm so far behind the curve that I don't have a smartphone.

I beat my grandfather at mini-golf once though, and he's pretty good! 😆

I played a lot of golf years ago, but looking to get back into it as a means of exercise but after the last few outings I quickly realized that it isn't like riding a bike.  Need all the help I can get...haha.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Right I get that it's not full pads or anything close to that, but I'd still like to see them as one unit if not just to get to know their teammates.  I remember Coughlin would do things like bowling and golf get togethers to build a more unified team.  

That was for training camp. This is voluntary workouts, we aren’t even at mandatory OTA yet.

At the Giants’ rookie minicamp this past weekend, Ojulari commented on [how] coordinator Patrick Graham’s defense was similar to that of Georgia’s.

There’s a reason for that. The Giants’ coaching staff is loaded with former SEC players and coaches, including linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer, who recruited Ojulari out of high school and was the Bulldogs’ outside linebackers coach from 2014-17.

Also on the Giants staff is senior defensive assistant Jeremy Pruitt, who was the defensive coordinator at Georgia from 2014-15 and Carter Blount, the new quality control analyst who also coached at Georgia.

In addition to the coaching link, Ojulari is the fourth Bulldog on the Giants’ current roster. The others are linebackers Lorenzo Carter and Tae Crowder and Ojulari’s college roommate, offensive tackle Andrew Thomas.

We really do like our Georgia guys! No surprise because the Bulldogs have a great program, and they're really passionate about football in the Deep South just in general. I think Joe Judge wants to bring that same energy to New York, and is already well on his way.

Azeez Ojulari sees similarities between Giants defense and Georgia's defense (msn.com)

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

At the Giants’ rookie minicamp this past weekend, Ojulari commented on [how] coordinator Patrick Graham’s defense was similar to that of Georgia’s.

There’s a reason for that. The Giants’ coaching staff is loaded with former SEC players and coaches, including linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer, who recruited Ojulari out of high school and was the Bulldogs’ outside linebackers coach from 2014-17.

Also on the Giants staff is senior defensive assistant Jeremy Pruitt, who was the defensive coordinator at Georgia from 2014-15 and Carter Blount, the new quality control analyst who also coached at Georgia.

In addition to the coaching link, Ojulari is the fourth Bulldog on the Giants’ current roster. The others are linebackers Lorenzo Carter and Tae Crowder and Ojulari’s college roommate, offensive tackle Andrew Thomas.

We really do like our Georgia guys! No surprise because the Bulldogs have a great program, and they're really passionate about football in the Deep South just in general. I think Joe Judge wants to bring that same energy to New York, and is already well on his way.

Azeez Ojulari sees similarities between Giants defense and Georgia's defense (msn.com)

Nice read...I knew we valued Georgia in the draft but didn't realize we had some many staff ties to the team.

Sterling Shepard discusses how Joe Judge reminds him of his days in Oklahoma.

Shurmur and McAdoo's coaching style makes sense now on why we'd see the team gassed in the 4th quarter, they weren't coaching conditioning from what Shepard is saying.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2021/05/how-giants-sterling-shepard-says-joe-judge-is-different-better-than-pat-shurmur-ben-mcadoo-in-this-specific-way.html

Late in the season is when it clicked for Sterling Shepard, that he knew Giants coach Joe Judge had a plan all along. Judge caught a lot of flak for his coaching methods in training camp, making players run laps along with other old-school approaches.

But there was a method to his madness, and Shepard noticed it late in the season when other teams’ players would be out of breath late in games while the Giants were just fine.

“You know what? It was honestly good for us,” Shepard said on “The Oklahoma Breakdown” podcast recently. “We would get into the fourth quarter and guys would be wheezing and we were like, nothing happened. So he’s getting us into shape, but it’s all for good.”

The Giants played their best football in the second half of the season, finishing out the year 5-3 after a brutal 1-7 start to Judge’s first season as head coach. And his methods remain what stuck out to Shepard, who said that previous coaches Pat Shurmur and Ben McAdoo — both fired after only two seasons — were missing some of what Judge brought to the table.

“He’s a tough coach, man,” Shepard said. “He’s tough coach, but that’s what we needed. For the previous two coaches, we didn’t do any conditioning or anything like that. But I will say last year was my first year of really having a conditioning--it kind of felt like Oklahoma all over again.”

This will be an important season for Shepard, who is 28 and entering the second year of the lucrative contract extension he signed with the Giants last year. When healthy, Shepard has always been one of the Giants’ most reliable weapons, but he hasn’t often been completely healthy. He’s missed 10 games combined the last two years, and he’ll be under more pressure to stay healthy this year after moves the Giants made.

They drafted Kadarius Toney in the first round, a potential long-term solution at slot receiver — which is Shepard’s primary position. The Giants also signed Kenny Golladay to a big-money deal and still have Darius Slayton too. If Shepard gets hurt and falls behind, he could wind up being a cap casualty at some point before the end of his deal.

So, it should come as no surprise what Shepard’s top goal is for 2021.

“Yeah, so we actually had to write down our goals last week and my number one was play all 17″ games, Shepard said. “I have had two seasons where I’ve missed, I think I missed a total of eight games in those two seasons. So I want to get back to playing all 17 and being able to being able to help my teammates out.”

A few other things Shepard discussed on the podcast:

Changing his jersey from No. 87 to No. 3: “That number (No. 3) means so much to me. You know, my dad (Derek Shepard) used to wear that number and that’s kind of where he made his name at Oklahoma wearing that number on his back. So, I always wanted to follow in his footsteps ... My dad passed when I was six. I had been number three from that point on, so it feels good to have it back on my back.”

Playing with Eli Manning vs. Daniel Jones: “Eli had everything down pat. He was able to tell me my route and then three other guys what they needed to run. Now it’s a little different. You have a young guy who is trying to figure out his way and then, you know, he’s got a lot on his plate, but Daniel’s a smart guy who wants to be great.”

Daniel Jones’ personality: “I mean, he puts in the work every day. He’s the first one in the building, the last one to leave always in the meeting room. He’s always trying to pick our brains on what we’re thinking. So I really appreciate the way that he works and he he’s made some strides for sure.”

Saquon Barkley’s rehab: “He’s looking good. He’s confident. And that’s the way you want it to be. You want his head to be strong and it has been this far.”

• Like 1

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Temple         573 2812 4.9 34 29 175 6.0 0 602 2987 5.0 34
*2015 Temple American FR RB 10 51 191 3.7 2 2 7 3.5 0 53 198 3.7 2
*2016 Temple American SO RB 13 156 919 5.9 14 5 41 8.2 0 161 960 6.0 14
*2017 Temple American JR RB 13 156 604 3.9 5 14 75 5.4 0 170 679 4.0 5
*2018 Temple American SR RB 10 210 1098 5.2 13 8 52 6.5 0 218 1150 5.3 13