Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

"If Daniel Jones is unable to play at a high level for the Giants in 2021," Bucky Brooks writes, "He will never be the guy in New York." Well, DJ has not been idle going into this make-or-break season. Saquon, Golladay, Shepard, Slayton, and David Sills are putting in work also.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:35 PM, Xenos said:

Wish I didn't have to subscribe to read that whole thing. But the part I can read says:

The last time the New York Giants believed in a quarterback, it backfired. Badly. This flagship franchise clutched to Eli Manning at least two seasons too long.

Those who did not believe in Manning — like Jerry Reese, like Marc Ross — were promptly fired… and proven correct.

Which is bull.

Eli was our starter for that long because he'd earned the right to be. Because he won us two Super Bowls. Because Ben McAdoo unceremoniously benched him in 2017, as if all the team's struggles were Eli's fault. Because he got bludgeoned behind Ereck Flowers and other failed prospects who Jerry Reese drafted.

That's why Eli stayed and Reese was fired.

That aside, Dunne is absolutely correct that we can win with Daniel Jones.

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Wish I didn't have to subscribe to read that whole thing. But the part I can read says:

The last time the New York Giants believed in a quarterback, it backfired. Badly. This flagship franchise clutched to Eli Manning at least two seasons too long.

Those who did not believe in Manning — like Jerry Reese, like Marc Ross — were promptly fired… and proven correct.

Which is bull.

Eli was our starter for that long because he'd earned the right to be. Because he won us two Super Bowls. Because Ben McAdoo unceremoniously benched him in 2017, as if all the team's struggles were Eli's fault. Because he got bludgeoned behind Ereck Flowers and other failed prospects who Jerry Reese drafted.

That's why Eli stayed and Reese was fired.

That aside, Dunne is absolutely correct that we can win with Daniel Jones.

That’s weird. It shows as unlocked so you should be able to see the whole thing.

I guess I also disagree about Eli having the right to be your starter just because of his past accomplishments in 2007 and 2011. 

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

That’s weird. It shows as unlocked so you should be able to see the whole thing.

I guess I also disagree about Eli having the right to be your starter just because of his past accomplishments in 2007 and 2011. 

A lot of Giants fans will disagree with you. Eli was not washed up or not able to play at a high level again. Reese failed to provide Eli with a decent offensive line and Eli was never a mobile QB to be able to overcome that issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xenos said:

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, we appreciate the contribution. Many sports journalists have written off Daniel Jones as a bust, so it's good to see this Tyler Dunne giving him some credit.

Speaking of outside takes, I normally wouldn't recommend an Eagles podcast here but this one includes a refreshingly fair breakdown of the Giants by Greg Cosell.

In a nutshell, Cosell thinks we show great discipline on defense and that Dave Gettleman has done well in addressing our FA needs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

A lot of Giants fans will disagree with you. Eli was not washed up or not able to play at a high level again. Reese failed to provide Eli with a decent offensive line and Eli was never a mobile QB to be able to overcome that issue.

I mean I get it to an extent. Philip Rivers was the same way with regards to being a pocket passer and not having the necessary OL in front of him. I guess my argument is that while Rivers never had Eli’s championships, the former had a better run production wise during the same years (2017-2019) despite having an equally lackluster OL, if not downright worse overall.

• 3 weeks later...

Schneier is spot on. Until Jones proves he can be lethal against the blitz then he's doomed to face it over and over. It's not a matter of physical skill with DJ. He has the arm, the wheels, and the frame to be elite. What he needs to display is he as the mental where with all to read and recognize the defense and adjust. Until he does that he will be dependent on the Oline to protect him. And that is what separates the elite QB's from the average. 

idk, is this really about DJ? defenses can blitz when your OL is on stilts and they're not scared of any skills position players.. no need to double anyone up or pay special attention.. sure, DJ has to overcome it but idk how you can put all of that on the QB

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

idk, is this really about DJ? defenses can blitz when your OL is on stilts and they're not scared of any skills position players.. no need to double anyone up or pay special attention.. sure, DJ has to overcome it but idk how you can put all of that on the QB

2020 NFL Advanced Passing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Look at the names above him that were pressured more. Do I think our Oline was "good"...no. But was it so egregiously bad that it exonerates DJ from blame for the inane amount of TO's.... no. Compare to another young QB in Herbert... who had more pressures and was still able to produce. DJ needs to make these defenses pay for blitzing him and until he does he's going to face it over and over again. That is just the nature of the game. Elite QB's recognize the blitz, adjust, and gash the D. If he cannot do that then he is simply not a very good QB despite his physical attributes. 

• Like 1

Logan Ryan, through a Twitter pic, has expressed interest in reaching out to Arizona's Chandler Jones on behalf of the Giants.

Yes, Jones is 31 years old with a $20 million cap hit, and that's if the Cardinals are willing to trade him at all, and Patrick Graham's defense is going to terrorize this division with or without him... but it's a thought.

• Like 1

The scenario the guy in this video presents (and wow he's annoying, I totally want to punch him) seems far fetched. I'd love to have Jones and no doubt he would add a ton of a value to an already stout D. But according to Sportrac we simply do not have the funds for his contract straight up. Now he's proposing sending Shep and possibly a 2nd for CJ. I don't mind so much losing Shep, I think he'll be buried in the depth chart anyway. But.. would Ari actually even entertain that package?

2021 NFL Team Salary Cap Space Tracker | Spotrac

8 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

The scenario the guy in this video presents (and wow he's annoying, I totally want to punch him) seems far fetched. I'd love to have Jones and no doubt he would add a ton of a value to an already stout D. But according to Sportrac we simply do not have the funds for his contract straight up. Now he's proposing sending Shep and possibly a 2nd for CJ. I don't mind so much losing Shep, I think he'll be buried in the depth chart anyway. But.. would Ari actually even entertain that package?

2021 NFL Team Salary Cap Space Tracker | Spotrac

I didn’t watch the video, but lol at at that trade proposal. How often do you see trades like that.

If we were to acquire Jones, his contract would be extended. It wouldn’t be hard to fit him in.

• Like 1