Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Can't find any injury statistics to back this up... I could have sworn one of the stat sites did a "starts lost to injury" sort of metric?.. but I can't find it. Anyway doesn't it seem like since the new stadium was built they've consistently been one of the most injured teams in the league year after year? Other teams have complained about the turf as well. One would think Mara would do something to address it..?

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Mara overlooked it. Tired of his crap anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

If those two picks don’t consist a defensive lineman and offensive lineman, can we just burn MetLife down? 

I think that is a reasonable response if those 2 picks don't contain at least 1 lineman, offensive or defensive, yes.

Like I'd be ok with Evan Neal and Tyler Linderbaum, or Thibodeux and Karlaftis for instance. As long as one of those picks is an OL or DL, we should be alright.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

That would probably be Linderbaum and one of Stingley/Hamilton.

I am sure  he is probably awesome, but I just can't see spending a top 6 pick on a center.  If we had Aaroon Donald and Chris Jones in this division then maybe. If Matt Peart and Isiah Wilson can't show they can be  our starting RT then to me RT must be the priority. 

Now if the Giants decided to go RT then drafter Linberbaum at center I would not be pissed off. I just feel we can get by with a stop gap center. We been using stop gap RT's for a while now and it simply has not worked out.

1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

I am sure  he is probably awesome, but I just can't see spending a top 6 pick on a center.  If we had Aaroon Donald and Chris Jones in this division then maybe. If Matt Peart and Isiah Wilson can't show they can be  our starting RT then to me RT must be the priority. 

Now if the Giants decided to go RT then drafter Linberbaum at center I would not be pissed off. I just feel we can get by with a stop gap center. We been using stop gap RT's for a while now and it simply has not worked out.

Have we not learned our lesson from guys like Quenton Nelson and Travis Frederick? Do a 2013 re-draft and Frederick goes top-5 easy.

The fact is that finding high quality OL at any position is harder than it has ever been right now. If you have a chance to take a guy that can lock up any one of those 5 spots for at least 5 years with high quality play, you have to consider taking them.

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Have we not learned our lesson from guys like Quenton Nelson and Travis Frederick? Do a 2013 re-draft and Frederick goes top-5 easy.

Quenton is a guard, I would not mind taking an all pro level guard with a top 6 pick if he is that much better than any RT. As for Travis, he was taken with the 31st pick in the first round and if we knew then what we know now, no he is not going in the top 5, he lasted in the NFL for only seven years according to wiki. 

As far as our OL, here is what we are working with for next year (per OTC, by salary cap number, not including Solder who will be cut https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-giants/😞

A stud LT in Andrew Thomas. Great start.

A versatile, solid player in Nick Gates, who can essentially play any position on the OL at an average level, which is worth its weight in gold. The only questions about him would be surrounding is recovery from his injury, but if he's healthy, he's a starter in pen, but position is in pencil. Let's say for now he is an interior OL (G/C).

Matt Peart, who the coaching staff does not like (because he was a Garrett/Colombo guy) and won't play. When he does play, he is better than Solder, but that is not saying much. He is a below average-bad RT right now.

Ben Bredeson is a practice squad level LG.

Wes Martin is a practice squad level LG.

Shane Lemeiux is an average run blocking and awful pass blocking LG. Ideally, he is good depth on a team.

That's it. That is every OL we have under contract for next year. Do you see a C? A RG? Hell, there are 3 LGs, but do we want any of them starting? We have 1/5 spots filled up, so T, G, C it doesn't matter who we take as long as they can play.

EDIT: Don't want to double post, so editing this to continue this thought.

As long as Hutchinson/Thibodeux are not available, I'd be so down to go T/C at 5/6. Give me Linderbaum and Charles Cross all day (and that is assuming Evan Neal is gone by then).

Andrew Thomas- Shane Lemeiux- Tyler Linderbaum- Nick Gates- Charles Cross has sky high potential with a floor of being a nasty run blocking group, which is what Judge wants anyway.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That's it. That is every OL we have under contract for next year. Do you see a C? A RG? Hell, there are 3 LGs, but do we want any of them starting? We have 1/5 spots filled up, so T, G, C it doesn't matter who we take as long as they can play.

I agree the only person we have in pen is our stud LT. I just believe we should go, RT, RG and LG in the first 2 to 3 rounds of the next draft. If Nick Gates is healthy he can be our starting center, if he is not healthy we save 2 million by cutting him and that can go towards our stop gap center. 

Sadly while OL is our most important need it is not our only need. Who is our starting Tight End next season, we could also use more talent at the LB position as well.

41 minutes ago, Acgott said:

They rushed DJ back after his leg injury last year. Then started him this year the game after he had a concussion. The Giants have not been worried about DJ health before, so why would they now? I am thinking they want the best picks possible for the up coming draft so why have DJ return and ruin that by having us win some games.

16 hours ago, viking said:

Think the Giants go QB with one of your first round picks?

From the outside looking in Daniel Jones looks like a real bust.

Will they? Probably not. If they stay in house with a GM hire and keep Judge, no way. If they go outside hire and still keep Judge, maybe there is a very slightly higher chance. If they go outside hire GM, fire Judge and bring in another outside hire HC? Then there is a possibility.

But should they draft a QB high in this draft? Absolutely. But they won't.

We CANNOT be drafting Kyle Hamilton with one of our picks if the board just happens to fall that way. It doesn't matter if he becomes the best safety of all-time we can't do it. I've said this before but to me EDGE is the #1 priority with our first pick of the draft. Unless the value is just not there, which will be very possible, it is a bigger priority than OL. Bradberry and Adoree Jackson are not always going to be there to lock guys down. We need to transition to true sacks and pressuring the QB, not coverage sacks. This defense - which has soooo much potential - will never be more than slightly above average until they are wrecking game plans. Of course the OL is horrible and we need to invest heavily there but there are day 1 starter quality OL throughout the draft. You cannot say that about EDGE.

• Like 3