Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

31 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

We have to strongly consider going Watson in all honestly. Those conversations at the very least need to be had.

No we really don't. Jones has one more year to prove himself. Use this draft to give him weapons, sure up his line, and restock the defense. If he still sucks then find the next prospect in the draft. Watson is a good QB but sending the farm over to have him will set us back years. The defense is close, the offense needs a spark. SB will return, give DJ a legit #1, and bring in a formidable pass rusher and we're in contention. 

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

No we really don't. Jones has one more year to prove himself. Use this draft to give him weapons, sure up his line, and restock the defense. If he still sucks then find the next prospect in the draft. Watson is a good QB but sending the farm over to have him will set us back years. The defense is close, the offense needs a spark. SB will return, give DJ a legit #1, and bring in a formidable pass rusher and we're in contention. 

Watson is a top 5 QB. He’s more than a good QB. And I’ve seen enough from Daniel Jones to know he’ll never be Watson. We’d be darn right silly to not even entertain the possibility. A top 5 QB who isn’t even in his prime, who isn’t some unknown commodity.  Obviously you only go so far as to what you are willing to offer but if he’s available you better at least call the Texans.

Watson’s contract is huge. The cap hit moves from $16M to $40M. I disagree that the defense is close, but do I agree that we shouldn’t trade for him. We can’t afford 3 1st round picks AND that cap hit. 17% of the cap is too damn high for one player. You can’t build with that, no matter how good the QB is.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Watson is a top 5 QB. He’s more than a good QB. And I’ve seen enough from Daniel Jones to know he’ll never be Watson. We’d be darn right silly to not even entertain the possibility. A top 5 QB who isn’t even in his prime, who isn’t some unknown commodity.  Obviously you only go so far as to what you are willing to offer but if he’s available you better at least call the Texans.

Watson is arguably a top 5 QB I agree (and the whole league knows it, therefore the price will be high). And Jones will never be on his level I agree. But the amount of equity it'll take to acquire Watson will prohibit the rest of the roster from developing to a Championship level. You're better off building around Jones who is inferior. Give him some weapons, a true #1 WR, SB, and protection. He's quite accurate when given time, if he has the surrounding talent he can succeed. No doubt Watson is special, but his price is going to be astronomical. The Texans need to acquire enough offset the dead money and level of talent. He recently signed a 5 year contract. You're talking multiple 1st rounders plus... Look at the sportrac reports on his dead money. 

Deshaun Watson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

If you were the Texans would you let him go for anything less then multiple 1sts?

Edited by Shockwave

13 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Watson’s contract is huge. The cap hit moves from $16M to $40M. I disagree that the defense is close, but do I agree that we shouldn’t trade for him. We can’t afford 3 1st round picks AND that cap hit. 17% of the cap is too damn high for one player. You can’t build with that, no matter how good the QB is.

Really? I feel like their 1 pass rusher away from elite. The amount of success Graham had consistently being in tied, or losing situations. Imagine what he could do with leads? Give him an edge guy and a halfway decent offense and I think our defense elevates itself to elite status. 

Edited by Shockwave

17 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Why is Watson's name even being floated around.  Is Houston shopping him?...and if so why?  From what little I can find on this, Watson's not happy with the front office.  He realizes he works for them and not the other way around right.

Besides if we ended up getting him in some weird Gettlemen trade who's to say he would stick around with this mess of a front office in NY.      

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Really? I feel like their 1 pass rusher away from elite. The amount of success Graham had consistently being in tied, or losing situations. Imagine what he could do with leads? Give him an edge guy and a halfway decent offense and I think our defense elevates itself to elite status. 

I'd agree with this if we can retain some of the defensive front line talent that is slotted to be free agents this year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I think we out performed in a lot of games, but in those last few games. We were down quick. Definitely we can be good, but elite is special. An edge guy is the most important, and the hardest one to find.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Why is Watson's name even being floated around.  Is Houston shopping him?...and if so why?  From what little I can find on this, Watson's not happy with the front office.  He realizes he works for them and not the other way around right.

Besides if we ended up getting him in some weird Gettlemen trade who's to say he would stick around with this mess of a front office in NY.      

The Owner/Front Office lied to him, and the owner is, not a good person.

Gettleman may not be a good GM, but the situation in Houston is straight toxic,

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 11:01 PM, y*so*blu said:

Right now we have a defense that's mostly good against poor teams, but mostly poor against good teams. I like what we're building but there are plenty more pieces to add. I trust Judge and Gettleman to get us more talent on both sides of the ball.

Not hearing much news on Jason Garrett. Maybe Judge will hang on to him so DJ doesn't have to learn yet another new system.

Interesting film breakdown here on Devonta Smith. Think there's any chance of him falling to us in the draft?

Never said dont build it.  I would rather draft young pieces and spend money on offense.  I also think, at 11, there's an extremely good chance the BPA will be a defensive player.  Again, next year is a pivotal year for Jones.  I'd say right now he's 50/50 on being a long term solution.  Assuming the top 2 receivers are gone by the time we pick and Pitts as well, I'd rather get a veteran in here to help.

Tate is most likely going to be cut, Sheppard is solid but injury prone and Slayton and Engram are anything but consistent.  With our QB future situation in the balance I would rather spend the money on a pass catcher than reach for an unproven rookie.

With that being said, a pass rusher is going to cost a fortune.  We know our defense can be coached up and adding a young cheap pass rusher or corner at 11 could vastly improve the unit.