Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

On 11/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, ny92mike said:

Team's are teeing off on him because we don't have another legit threat.  Odell could change that.

At this point I would be happy with Odell just not joining the Cowboys. If I am the GM I not going to sacrifice the future just to make a run at the playoffs.

He has had multiple ACL injuries, he is 30 and he is going demand probably 15 million a year for the next 3 years. That is just too many negatives. If he does join us I wouldn't be overly upset, it would make this season more exciting. I just feel the best long term option for the Giants is not having Odell. Instead draft younger healthier far cheaper wideouts. 

44 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

At this point I would be happy with Odell just not joining the Cowboys. If I am the GM I not going to sacrifice the future just to make a run at the playoffs.

He has had multiple ACL injuries, he is 30 and he is going demand probably 15 million a year for the next 3 years. That is just too many negatives. If he does join us I wouldn't be overly upset, it would make this season more exciting. I just feel the best long term option for the Giants is not having Odell. Instead draft younger healthier far cheaper wideouts. 

What is the team sacrificing?  We aren't 100% sure the team will even sign him.  I trust the current front office to make the right decision.

I agree with you that we need to look at the draft or even the FA market to finish building this roster.  We have a multitude of holes to fill.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I hate Gettleman, I’m just realistic about the results. Fans would have hated OBJ if he was be payed $20M/year with the current stats. Sure, he may have done better, but with those Giants and MetLife Turf, I wouldn’t bet on that. Dexter Lawrence is the best player from that deal.

Hes definitely better than our current receivers, but still it’s 9 months since his ACL tear, an injury that takes most players over a year to get back to full strength. Who knows what he has.

Perhaps, but I'd rather have Odell than the overpayment that has been taking place now for years with trying to find his replacement.  That really hasn't worked out either.

I'm not begging the team to sign him, I"m just saying I wouldn't be as upset about as you is all.  

I trust our current front office to make the right decision as I'm sure you do as well.  I don't see the team overspending for him, even though we are desperate for a receiver.  I don't think this front office is going to mess up their future or current season by signing him or not signing him.

Can we just see what happens with the scheduled visit.  You are saying it's a bad idea and I'd say you're right if they sign him to some ridiculous amount of money that we currently don't have.  

It's not going to bother me one way or the other.  They sign him cool, if they don't cool.

54 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Perhaps, but I'd rather have Odell than the overpayment that has been taking place now for years with trying to find his replacement.  That really hasn't worked out either.

I'm not begging the team to sign him, I"m just saying I wouldn't be as upset about as you is all.  

I trust our current front office to make the right decision as I'm sure you do as well.  I don't see the team overspending for him, even though we are desperate for a receiver.  I don't think this front office is going to mess up their future or current season by signing him or not signing him.

Can we just see what happens with the scheduled visit.  You are saying it's a bad idea and I'd say you're right if they sign him to some ridiculous amount of money that we currently don't have.  

It's not going to bother me one way or the other.  They sign him cool, if they don't cool.

What’s funny is Golladay and OBJ had near the same amount of yards last year and this year. 521 and 537 last year. 51 and 0 this year!

I also don’t believe I said signing OBJ would be a bad decision 

8 minutes ago, Acgott said:

What’s funny is Golladay and OBJ had near the same amount of yards last year and this year. 521 and 537 last year. 51 and 0 this year!

8 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I also don’t believe I said signing OBJ would be a bad decision 

Not outright no, but it sure seems like that.  Comparing Kenny to Odell, come on man...haha.

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

What is the team sacrificing?  We aren't 100% sure the team will even sign him.  I trust the current front office to make the right decision.

Odell says he wants a multi year deal. We have some cap space next year we don't have a ton of cap space unless we refuse to resign DJ and Barkley. Signing Odell to a multi year deal will sacrifice a decent portion of the cap for next year. 

53 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Not outright no, but it sure seems like that.  Comparing Kenny to Odell, come on man...haha.

That was just a funny coincidence I found.

What I have said that OBJ would help the Giants, but they cannot afford to pay anything he wants, above the minimum. It also makes way more sense for him to sign with the Cowboys. He also is coming off another major injury and won’t be the same player he was before. I think that were the main bullets. You are right. OBJ is crazy, so who knows what he will do.

17 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Odell says he wants a multi year deal. We have some cap space next year we don't have a ton of cap space unless we refuse to resign DJ and Barkley. Signing Odell to a multi year deal will sacrifice a decent portion of the cap for next year. 

I've read that too.  Maybe he gets it but I ask for a lot of things that I don't get.  I'm not too concerned with our cap next year, thank god we are almost out of the nightmare of Dave.  Kenny G is really the last of the contract mess.

I look at our WR situation next season and if we release Kenny, which I believe we should.  It leaves us with a short list of receivers on contract.  

Wan'dale Robinson, Collin Johnson and Isaiah Hodgins.  Not a big list of names in FA this year and we don't have the high picks that we are use to having.  

I wouldn't mind having Odell on the roster, not so much for this year but for next.  We've gotta sign some receivers next year and in my mind he's as good as any.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Whelp I hope it's not a serious medical issue (highly doubt it) but it should put an end to his coming back to play in NY. No way Mara is going down that road again after this incident. OBJ going to be a Cowboy.

Who really knows just yet.  Media is famous for misleading facts or creating a narrative before they know all of the facts.  I'm not saying he did anything wrong or not but he wasn't charged with anything.  

For all we know, the flight attendant wasn't a fan...haha.  Or maybe he took something to help with flight anxiety.  I have no idea.  I'm sure more details about it will fall into place.