Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

Well Gmen today is the day.  Never thought I'd see it happening so soon but I'm so excited for the players.

Also, I'm running my GM mock draft this year.  Starts in Feb, if anyone would like to be a part of it, I'll be posting a war room thread once we get closer to the start.  

• Like 1

Well, that's that for the '22 season. It's been an interesting ride, despite the rough ending. Nobody predicted a winning record, let alone a playoff win, in our first season under Daboll and Schoen. If this is what they do with a rebuilding year I look forward to the next one. 😁

The Eagles game was very instructive: we need to keep improving in the trenches, fix our linebacking core and run stopping, and add some more offensive talent. We made enough noise to attract attention from FAs, but I think most of Schoen's work will be done through the draft.

I think it's easy. You sign DJ if he agrees to 25-30 million a year with limited guaranteed money. But we all know someone will overpay for him.

So franchise Barkley and trade him. Let DJ go. And move up in the draft to get the QB. If you don't get the QB, trade for Huntley or get a stop gap QB and draft at OLB and C/G. No reason not to start to rebuild this year. They can't win the division next year barring  rival QB injuries. I think the Commanders are better than them with the right QB.

To the fans that can't stomach another rebuild, take a look at Geno Smith. You can be competitive without being reckless in the off season.

Edited by WheatieMan

If this Eagles game showed me anything, it's that we are not one player away. We cannot be trading away draft picks for players due to make big money. Signing some medium-large fish in FA makes a ton of sense but the DJ Moores and Brandon Aiyuks of the world would be a bad idea for us.

• Like 2

https://fansided.com/2023/01/22/giants-3-contract-solutions-daniel-jones/

A bridge contract could make sense for Daniel Jones

The next option the Giants could consider is a bridge contract, which essentially pays Jones at the market rate but provides the team outs if he isn’t performing. Notable quarterbacks who have signed deals like this include Ryan Tannehill, whose contract Tennessee may look to escape from next season, and Derek Carr, who the Las Vegas Raiders are trying to trade before the rest of his guarantees kick in.

This kind of deal would require the Giants to pay Jones a significant amount of money upfront in a five or six-year deal and include language that guarantees more money if he is on the roster by the third day of a league year. This contract makes sense since it offers Jones a higher salary but provides the team an out if he doesn’t continue to develop like he did in 2022.

Interesting write up. Starting to like the idea of a bridge contract rather then tagging him or giving him a long term deal. The bulk of the money would be upfront but it gives the Giants outs if Jones can't turn the corner. On the other hand if he does turn the corner the latter years of the deal would be pretty cheap compared to going market rate.

24 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

https://fansided.com/2023/01/22/giants-3-contract-solutions-daniel-jones/

Interesting write up. Starting to like the idea of a bridge contract rather then tagging him or giving him a long term deal. The bulk of the money would be upfront but it gives the Giants outs if Jones can't turn the corner. On the other hand if he does turn the corner the latter years of the deal would be pretty cheap compared to going market rate.

It has to be this.

Also, I know this sounds crazy, but be prepared for the chance that DJ is not on the team at all next year. It would only happen if he demands more than the Giants will give him, but almost certainly Schoen has a line he will not cross when it comes to years/money.

I feel very certain that Saquon will be back for a Nick Chubb-esque contract. Somewhere around 3 years, 40 mill with a lot of that in per game bonuses.

Nate Tice and Robert Mays do an awesome job on The Athletic Football Show podcast, and their segment about what the Giants do next is really great. You can listen to the podcast even if you don't subscribe to The Athletic.

I just don't see DJ being valued more by any other team. They built this scheme for him to take advantage of his strengths. I mean are teams like Carolina/Jets/Bucs going to pay him 50+ million a year based off this one seasons production under Daboll? I'd be surprised to see there being a big market demand for him outside NY. I think his best chance at a nice payday is here. But if he walks he walks. Tyrod can could spot start a season I guess or throw an offer at Jimmy G as a stop gap until we can draft our next guy.

Really wouldn't want to hit the reset button right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I just don't see DJ being valued more by any other team. They built this scheme for him to take advantage of his strengths. I mean are teams like Carolina/Jets/Bucs going to pay him 50+ million a year based off this one seasons production under Daboll? I'd be surprised to see there being a big market demand for him outside NY. I think his best chance at a nice payday is here. But if he walks he walks. Tyrod can could spot start a season I guess or throw an offer at Jimmy G as a stop gap until we can draft our next guy.

Really wouldn't want to hit the reset button right now.

Damn, did you lose a bet Shock? I didn't recognize you lol.

I agree with you about DJ probably not being valued a ton elsewhere. However, I disagree with the "wouldn't want to hit the reset button right now". We were ALWAYS going to hit the reset button this offseason. This is a rebuilding team. Fact of the matter is that, while Daboll and co did an amazing job building an offense that caters to DJ's strengths, ideally they want a better QB leading this team. They will look to upgrade that position. I don't see that happening this offseason because the other options aren't impressive and we are picking 25th. Next year though, it is a viable option. You want to be able to get out of any contract you give DJ in 2 years maximum- if he can agree to a Tannehill/Carr like contract, great. If not, you have to let him walk.

2 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

As long as the Franchise Tag exist, DJ is not going any where else next season. 

That would immediately sink about 60% of our available cap space on one player.

I know DJ played well last year and we all like him. But bottom line, we can't just run it back. You saw what happened when we played top tier teams, like the Eagles. Tagging DJ would require us to run it back in too many areas to be able to field the team we want/need to field. We need the space to upgrade.

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That would immediately sink about 60% of our available cap space on one player.

I know DJ played well last year and we all like him. But bottom line, we can't just run it back. You saw what happened when we played top tier teams, like the Eagles. Tagging DJ would require us to run it back in too many areas to be able to field the team we want/need to field. We need the space to upgrade.

I know there are franchises like the Jets, Dolphins and Commanders that have gone decades with out being able to find a good QB. Our front office is not going to have us join them, D.J is a Giant next season.