Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

4 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Yet, tonight showed how quickly it can turn with the right QB.  TB was 7-9 last year. A franchise without much juice. Some nice weapons - which the Giants don't have right now, so they're rebuild would likely take longer - but Watson is young enough to be around a while. Especially in today's NFL. Three ones? Their last 4 one's were Thomas, Jones, Lawrence, and Baker. Watson is a franchise QB. I'd give 3 ones in a heartbeat for that.

Their defense was already really good. This is a team that would make the playoffs with practically anyone but Jameis lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Their defense was already really good. This is a team that would make the playoffs with practically anyone but Jameis lol.

I don’t doubt that. I still think 3 ones are worth it for Watson. So worth it that it you offered it now, Houston wouldn’t even do it. Get the franchise QB - that’s never really available - and figure out the rest later.

36 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I don’t doubt that. I still think 3 ones are worth it for Watson. So worth it that it you offered it now, Houston wouldn’t even do it. Get the franchise QB - that’s never really available - and figure out the rest later.

It's easy to say you'd do 3 firsts for Watson.  I'm not arguing that it's an unfair price.  I just don't think the Giants are a team in the position to make that move.  If I were the 49ers I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I think the Giants are being a bit overrated right now because  we "competed" for a playoff spot.  But lets not kid ourselves.  We beat exactly one team that finished with a winning record.  Also, this is hopefully the first normal offseason Judge will have.  To completely strip him of all draft ammo would be a mistake in my opinion.  

Also, I still believe the jury is still out on Jones.  Will he ever be Watson?  No.  But he was clearly not comfortable in this offense with a shortened offseason to learn it.  I still believe that if we build a good team around him and protect him that he's very capable of being a very good QB in the league.

• Like 2

Thoughts on JJ Watt? I don't think he would want to come here anyway but he would be a good short-term signing bringing leadership and at minimum run stopping force.. If we can't retain Tomlinson and Williams, he would be a good stop-gap.. we will probably be priced out of that conversation though.

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

Thoughts on JJ Watt? I don't think he would want to come here anyway but he would be a good short-term signing bringing leadership and at minimum run stopping force.. If we can't retain Tomlinson and Williams, he would be a good stop-gap.. we will probably be priced out of that conversation though.

I don't think Watt is an option, as much as I'd like him to be. He is going to go fast, and the Giants need to dedicate all their resources to locking up Leonard Williams now before Watt signs elsewhere. Watt signing will absolutely drive up Leo's asking price, because Watt is about to sign for a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I don't think Watt is an option, as much as I'd like him to be. He is going to go fast, and the Giants need to dedicate all their resources to locking up Leonard Williams now before Watt signs elsewhere. Watt signing will absolutely drive up Leo's asking price, because Watt is about to sign for a lot.

I don't think the two negotiations really impact each other. Watt is going to sign a 1-2 year deal and I'm not sure he'll make as you might think. The cap situation is tough and his production has dropped. Williams is going to command top dollar either way and is for a much longer contract.

• Like 1

I'm hearing rumors that Shepard and Zeitler may be among the players cut to save space due to the lower cap. There might not be anything to it, but if there is I would have mixed feelings. Shepard struggles to stay on the field, but he showed up for us later in the season (unlike Slayton). Zeitler is one of our best offensive linemen and I'd much rather restructure his contract than just lose him.

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I'm hearing rumors that Shepard and Zeitler may be among the players cut to save space due to the lower cap. There might not be anything to it, but if there is I would have mixed feelings. Shepard struggles to stay on the field, but he showed up for us later in the season (unlike Slayton). Zeitler is one of our best offensive linemen and I'd much rather restructure his contract than just lose him.

Those rumors have been around for a while, since before the trade deadline. Shepard would only save $3M, with $6M dead money, so that doesn’t make sense at all.

Zeitler is much more realistic. We save $12M with only $2.5M dead money. Last year of his contract so extension is possible to spread  the cap hit. If they believe they have a solid replacement, I can easily see it happening.