Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

2 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

The Giants would free up about $6mil by cutting Solder. They'll have to spend at least $4mil to find a remotely suitable alternative in FA, if not the full $6mil or more. 

So cut Solder and re-sign someone else. Cap hit: ~$14mil ($10mil in dead cap, $4mil for replacement). Even if you go post-June 1st the cap hit would be around $10.5mil ($6.5mil in dead cap, $4mil for replacement AND kicking $10mil in dead cap into 2022). 

If they can get Solder to agree to ~$12.5mil for 2021, I would take it. Yes, it's a lot for what he's produced. But it's only $2mil higher than what we would have to pay to replace him. And there's no guarantee his replacement would be any better. And I'd rather not add $10mil in dead cap to 2022 if we don't have to. 

We can save $10 million if we designate him as a post June 2nd cut. He needs to take a pay cut.

18 hours ago, minutemancl said:

We can save $10 million if we designate him as a post June 2nd cut. He needs to take a pay cut.

Agreed he def needs to take a pay cut.. But the post June 1st cut adds $10mil in dead money to next year's cap. That might be their only option depending on what they're looking to do but they very well may just not spend on FAs this year, take the cap hit this year and start fresh next year.  It's just going to leave the roster very thin this year. 

But totally agreed, the guy has to take a pay cut. It's just a matter of if they're going to find a happy medium.

I think Solder is washed. I hope he proves me wrong but he was basically the reason we drafted Andrew Thomas. Not at all what we bargained for when we made him the richest o-lineman in the league. At this point I'd be happy to see the Giants move on.

13 hours ago, Acgott said:

Hopefully we can extend him to move his cap hit. $14M is too big of a hit.

OL are an interesting breed when it comes to aging. Some hit a thick wall in their early 30s and fall off a cliff and then others play at an All-Pro level late into their 30s. And there doesn't seem to be too much in between that. Maybe it's just a result of the physical beating they take? 

In any event, extending Zeitler is a no-brainer to me but probably not for him. He's at the point in his career where he can probably get short-term deals with high yearly $$$$ for contending teams that are a piece away. 

Why give the Giants a break and hope we compete? Unfortunately if I'm him I either force them to cut me, trade me or keep me at my current contract. 

14 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

Why give the Giants a break and hope we compete? Unfortunately if I'm him I either force them to cut me, trade me or keep me at my current contract. 

He’s set to make $12M, none of it guaranteed. Coming off an average season at best, in what will be a strong buyers market. That’s a lot of money to risk.

3 hours ago, Acgott said:

He’s set to make $12M, none of it guaranteed. Coming off an average season at best, in what will be a strong buyers market. That’s a lot of money to risk.

I guess that's the gamble. It's hard to see the Giants extending him for more than $8MM per year. A guy like him probably wants to go compete for a championship at this point and can probably get $8-10MM per year from a team competing for a championship. 

2 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

I guess that's the gamble. It's hard to see the Giants extending him for more than $8MM per year. A guy like him probably wants to go compete for a championship at this point and can probably get $8-10MM per year from a team competing for a championship. 

We seen 4 guards be released or rumored to be traded in past 4 days. Market is already getting interesting 

Will Hernandez has been working with Duke Manyweather this offseason. Really good news. If anyone can get Will right, it is Duke. Also, he's working both left and right footwork/handwork. 

Judge and co are betting a whole lot on the coaching staffs ability to develop these young guys on the line. If it works out though, it could be really good. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

That sucks. I think Tomlinson was a more important part of our defense than he got credit for. Was hoping we'd find a way to keep him around. 

It does suck but DL is an area we have depth at, if we keep Leonard. I am happy he got a good contract, I am thinking if it was not for the reduced salary cap, we would have found a way to keep him.