Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

19 hours ago, Acgott said:

Disappointing, but expected 

Why did you guys get rid of him?  Then again right now he is the highest paid per year DT signed in free agency at around $11 mil a year.  Suh for example got 1 year $8 mil last season and Malcolm Brown on the Saints went to the Jags for only 2 years $11 mil total.

Looking at it more, Tomlinson looks freaking good and with some lists he is the best free agent DT in the NFL.  I think he could be much better in a 4/3 defense with Hunter on the edge and Pierce next to him than he was on the Giants who lack elite pass rushers on the edges.  How much did Tomlinson help open up Lawrence and Williams for their production getting after the passer?  

Do the Giants really think Austin Johnson can replace Dalvin Tomlinson?  The dude was nothing great at all on the Titans and is not near the force in the middle, curious if they will want Dexter in the middle now at NT or not.  

My guess is though if Hunter is healthy all season Tomlinson will have a great season for the Vikings especially if Pierce is ready to go opposite him at the other DT spot and they add a young edge rusher or Wonnum develops more.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Why did you guys get rid of him?  Then again right now he is the highest paid per year DT signed in free agency at around $11 mil a year.  Suh for example got 1 year $8 mil last season and Malcolm Brown on the Saints went to the Jags for only 2 years $11 mil total.

Looking at it more, Tomlinson looks freaking good and with some lists he is the best free agent DT in the NFL.  I think he could be much better in a 4/3 defense with Hunter on the edge and Pierce next to him than he was on the Giants who lack elite pass rushers on the edges.  How much did Tomlinson help open up Lawrence and Williams for their production getting after the passer?  

Do the Giants really think Austin Johnson can replace Dalvin Tomlinson?  The dude was nothing great at all on the Titans and is not near the force in the middle, curious if they will want Dexter in the middle now at NT or not.  

My guess is though if Hunter is healthy all season Tomlinson will have a great season for the Vikings especially if Pierce is ready to go opposite him at the other DT spot and they add a young edge rusher or Wonnum develops more.  

Vikings definitely got a solid player.  Worth every penny of the contract he received.  I'm sure the Giants wanted to keep him just didn't have the funds to do it.  

BJ Hill has the potential to fill his shoes but he'll be missed.  Austin I'd assume is depth.

Should be a dominate force in a 43 defense.

• Like 1

Feel like I need to put this out there:

4 QBs are going in the top 10 this year. That is a fact. It is also a fact that the Giants are looking at a WR or Pitts at 11.

In the worst case scenario, the top-10 has 4 QBs, Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Sewell, and Parsons off the board. If that's the case, what are we looking at? Surtain or Farley? Maybe Rashawn Slater? Do we dip into the next group of WRs? That'd be a real tough spot to be in. 

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

4 QBs are going in the top 10 this year. That is a fact. It is also a fact that the Giants are looking at a WR or Pitts at 11.

In the worst case scenario, the top-10 has 4 QBs, Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Sewell, and Parsons off the board. If that's the case, what are we looking at? Surtain or Farley? Maybe Rashawn Slater? Do we dip into the next group of WRs? That'd be a real tough spot to be in. 

That week 17 win over the Cowboys really cost us in draft position. Totally wasn't worth it

14 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

That week 17 win over the Cowboys really cost us in draft position. Totally wasn't worth it

It was worth it to me. I loved that we ended the Cowboys season, and if the Eagles didn't tank I know we would have done a better job against the Bucs than the Washington team did, we played them real close the last time around.  

We are going to get a very good player at #11 we are fine.

30 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I know nothing about college sports but this is supposed to be a deep draft for wideout. There should still be some #1 wideout talent in the second round. If that worst case situation happens, I would prefer us to trade down.

I am highly doubting that  4 QB and 3 Wideouts are all going in the top 10. Has that ever happened before? Lamb the best wideout in last year draft he fell all the way to to #17.  I have a hard time believing that all three top wideout are going to be gone before pick #11 if 4 QB are all ready taken.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

With the current roster being what it is, who do you think we should target with 1st thru 3rd round picks?

OL / WR / EDGE or a different position?

CB should also be included on that list. Hopefully they will address 1-2 of those position in free agency.

33 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

It was worth it to me. I loved that we ended the Cowboys season, and if the Eagles didn't tank I know we would have done a better job against the Bucs than the Washington team did, we played them real close the last time around.  

We are going to get a very good player at #11 we are fine.

The Cowboy fans loved that we ended their season as well....
Aren't we picking at 7 if we lose that game? How does the draft board look right now if we had the 7th pick?
I just hope somehow Waddle falls to our pick. Because as @minutemancl noted the WR class drops off pretty sharp. Although if Sewell or Slater is there DG won't be able to resist himself.

1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

CB should also be included on that list. Hopefully they will address 1-2 of those position in free agency.

Yes...Cornerback should be on that short list of needs.  Was hoping that they would have signed Michael Davis, LAC.  Still a lot of talent in the free agency, I keep thinking that we'll sign one soon.

12 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

The Cowboy fans loved that we ended their season as well....
Aren't we picking at 7 if we lose that game? How does the draft board look right now if we had the 7th pick?
I just hope somehow Waddle falls to our pick. Because as @minutemancl noted the WR class drops off pretty sharp. Although if Sewell or Slater is there DG won't be able to resist himself.

They were not rooting for us to end their season before the game started. Anything they say after is just them trying to make the best of a bad situation. 

There is actually a ton of talent at WR in this draft. I really, really like Rondale Moore, Rashod Bateman, and Elijah Moore as potential 1s in the NFL. Its just that they are in the tier below Chase, Waddle, and Smith. If the scenario I put up there happens, I'm all for grabbing Surtain or Paye then trying to get one of those other guys with our 2nd round pick. Even better would be trading back with a team like the Patriots maybe who want the last good QB (Mac Jones or Trey Lance) and picking up an extra pick. 

• Like 1

Never like seeing players blast our front office especially during the off season.

The latest is Markus Golden stating that his, "Giants experience 'rubbed me the wrong way".

In the same week, Steve Smith slammed Dave Gettleman, theorizing why he hasn't signed any No. 1 WR yet.  I really hope Smith is just salty of being canned and there isn't any truth to this as it really sounds far fetched.  

Nonetheless, I believe that how Dave handled cleaning house has rubbed a lot of players the wrong way and that it does impact signing free agents.  

“They don’t want an alpha. They can’t take Juju (Smith-Schuster) because he plays in the slot and that’s where (Sterling) Shepard plays. They already have a tight end. So what they want are robots who aren’t going to make a stink, who are gonna fall in place, which will end up stunting the growth of your franchise quarterback because you either want a robot or 6-foot-2, 215 or above wide receiver. You don’t want a playmaker. You want cheap. You want people that aren’t gonna make a stink in the locker room. And that means you want to be (he then paused, made a loud inhale/sniffing sound) average.”

After Irvin interjected to say Kenny Golladay would be a good fit for the Giants, Smith spoke up again.

“That general manager knows exactly what he wants. He wants to be able to sit in front of everybody and say, ‘Look what I did.’ If he brings in an alpha, the alpha gets all the attention and not him. That’s what ran him out of Carolina, and that’s what has them very pedestrian in New York right now where they’re shopping for value when they got $180 million. But what are they gonna do? They’re gonna get a guy (Ross) who wasn’t very good, who had 12 or 13 healthy scratches, and they gonna make him something now. Not gonna happen, bro! I’m telling you. From here, sitting at the house with a suit and some sweatpants on, it’s easy to pick these dudes apart.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There is actually a ton of talent at WR in this draft. I really, really like Rondale Moore, Rashod Bateman, and Elijah Moore as potential 1s in the NFL. Its just that they are in the tier below Chase, Waddle, and Smith. If the scenario I put up there happens, I'm all for grabbing Surtain or Paye then trying to get one of those other guys with our 2nd round pick. Even better would be trading back with a team like the Patriots maybe who want the last good QB (Mac Jones or Trey Lance) and picking up an extra pick. 

Agreed...there is a ton of talent at wide out.  Patrick Surtain would be a solid pick, and if they drafted him I'd be cool with it.  The one position that is deep in FA is cornerback, so I just keep thinking that we'll sign one soon.  

Unless we start signing some talent, this draft is going to be conducted based off need rather than value. which never really works out.