Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

56 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Matt Peart is a massive human.

sqilg40tpzs61.jpg

I could be wrong but I believe last year they said he was light and had the body of a tight end when he was drafted. He was going to need an off season to add more weight. If so it is good to see he put on that weight and looks like our next starting RT.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 5:52 PM, ny92mike said:

I'm hearing Micah Parsons name paired with the Giants being mentioned a lot lately.  I haven't watched much tap on him but I'm assuming he could play OLB in our defense.

Any thoughts on the subject?  

Judge and Gettleman both want to build a particular team culture, whether you agree with it or not.  Given what has come out about the hazing incident, drafting Parsons at 11 would fly in the face of what Judge is trying to do with this team. 

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Judge and Gettleman both want to build a particular team culture, whether you agree with it or not.  Given what has come out about the hazing incident, drafting Parsons at 11 would fly in the face of what Judge is trying to do with this team. 

And what has come out about the hazing incident that has been verified as a definite fact? All I have heard is rumors.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 12:47 PM, Go_Giants said:

And what has come out about the hazing incident that has been verified as a definite fact? All I have heard is rumors.

Right...

I'm probably in the minority here, but hazing doesn't seem like an offensive crime worthy of overlooking a talent such as his.  We're probably all guilty of this at least once.  Guarantee a frat house has seen their fair share of hazing as well as the military and other types of work.

He didn't kill anyone, he hasn't raped or beat his girlfriend or robbed a bank that I'm aware of.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:04 AM, Gmen said:

Judge and Gettleman want to win games.  I don't think they are looking for a church group to play football.  I'd agree that they aren't looking to draft an axe murderer but hazing???  Especially with no official charges being presented in this allegation.  Parsons was never formally charged with any crime relating to the alleged incident, and Penn State was also cleared of any criminal wrongdoing.  Giants hired Sean Spencer, Parsons coach and as well as Pat from Penn.  Not saying he's not guilty of doing what they said, but character concerns of this type, if true wouldn't prevent me from drafting him, just my 2 cents on the subject.  

Now 11 might be a little high for him considering he didn't play in 2020, but his pro day was solid.  

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 1:47 PM, Go_Giants said:

https://fox56.com/news/local/former-psu-football-player-gives-details-on-alleged-hazing-by-teammates

williams — A former Penn State football player claims that in 2018 he was subjected to hazing and harassment by four teammates an average of two to three times a week for nine months.

Consistent pattern, not a one time incident

Humphries was awakened by Parsons throwing water on him in the Morgan Academic Center and responded by throwing a bottle of Gatorade back. Parsons then punched Humphries in the face with a close fist, grabbed hold of his neck and began choking him, the filing claim. Fearful he would be unable to defend himself, Humphries brandished a knife, the complaint says. Neither player suffered substantial injury. Humphries says he told Franklin about the incident and his fear of Parsons later that day. He said the coach’s response was that he expected players on his team to fistfight and take a beating rather than brandish a knife.

Wonderful team culture there at Penn State

He alleges in the complaint that Barber, Parsons, Gross-Matos and did the following to him and certain other players:

• Took their clothes and did not return them.
  • Told them they intended to make them “their ***** because this is a prison.”
  • Wrestled them down and simulating a humping action while on top of them.
  • Placed their penis in their faces while simulating ejaculation.
  • Placed their penis on and in their buttocks.

Yikes

That's a no from me, dawg

Edited by Gmen

What you described is sexual assault.  Yet no one was charged with a crime.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28497874/da-explains-why-no-charges-were-filed-penn-state-hazing-case

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

Wonderful team culture there at Penn State

Saquon Barkley went there, I have heard no reports of any one having a problem with his attitude.

Gross-Matos 2nd round pick of the Panthers, his name was a part that list.  He has not been in any trouble with the Panthers. If this hazing incident was as big as stated why did we not hear a thing about this when Gross-Matos was being drafted?

As you know there a lot of people on a football team both in the NFL and college. Yet very few people are saying Parsons did this. We see what is happening with Dashaun Watson, enough women are coming forward that even the NFL would not be able to ignore it. If Parsons did this to the extent as reported and enough people said this he would have been charged.

I am not saying Parsons is an Angel, but if he was the Devil that person is claiming he is, I believe more people would have gone or said something to the police. 

As I said before we have two coaches on this staff that were at Penn St. when Parsons was there, they would know about this situation and they would know Parsons better than anyone.

Were you the same person your freshman year in high school as your senior year? Were you the same person in college your freshman year as your senior? I can't talk for you, I can only talk for me and say no, I was not, I grew a lot. I think Parsons can too.

13 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

What you described is sexual assault.  Yet no one was charged with a crime.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28497874/da-explains-why-no-charges-were-filed-penn-state-hazing-case

Saquon Barkley went there, I have heard no reports of any one having a problem with his attitude.

Gross-Matos 2nd round pick of the Panthers, his name was a part that list.  He has not been in any trouble with the Panthers. If this hazing incident was as big as stated why did we not hear a thing about this when Gross-Matos was being drafted?

As you know there a lot of people on a football team both in the NFL and college. Yet very few people are saying Parsons did this. We see what is happening with Dashaun Watson, enough women are coming forward that even the NFL would not be able to ignore it. If Parsons did this to the extent as reported and enough people said this he would have been charged.

I am not saying Parsons is an Angel, but if he was the Devil that person is claiming he is, I believe more people would have gone or said something to the police. 

As I said before we have two coaches on this staff that were at Penn St. when Parsons was there, they would know about this situation and they would know Parsons better than anyone.

Were you the same person your freshman year in high school as your senior year? Were you the same person in college your freshman year as your senior? I can't talk for you, I can only talk for me and say no, I was not, I grew a lot. I think Parsons can too.

A lawsuit was filed against Penn State. 

He was also kicked out of his high school for attempting to incite a riot by yelling "gun" in a crowded cafeteria

He officially only started one game as a freshman despite leading the team in tackles - because his coaches wanted to teach him some humility.

And then of course he opted out of the 2020 season.

Where there's smoke there's fire.  The dude is at the minimum very immature.  Does that mean he'll never grow up?  No.  But at the same time, why risk it with such a high draft pick?  Especially after some other headcases we've had here in NY recently (OBJ, Deandre Baker)

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him fall out of the first round.

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

He officially only started one game as a freshman despite leading the team in tackles - because his coaches wanted to teach him some humility.

Again, as a freshman, has there been any trouble sense? He is a different now, he did not have a daughter to look after back then.

24 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Again, as a freshman, has there been any trouble sense? He is a different now, he did not have a daughter to look after back then.

There are also plenty of freshman that didn't do the crap Parsons is accused of, so I don't think you can just dismiss his behavior because he was a freshman. 

And to assume he's matured 3 years later because he had a kid is also pretty naive.  Making a baby is easy and takes absolutely no maturity whatsoever, especially when you're a star football player.

In my experience, people don't change that quickly or easily.  The screw-ups from high school are usually still screw-ups as adults.  That's not a hard rule, and there are always exceptions.  But that's just what I've seen from my experience. 

• Like 2

Lots of projection here in both directions, but the bottom line is that the allegations are real and the Giants have to do 2 things: determine the severity of them through a deep background investigation of Parsons and his teammates, and figure out how big of a risk it would be to take him at 11 and if they are willing to take that risk. 

It is hard to believe there is no truth to any of the allegations against him. It is also hard to believe that he has not grown up some since then. Overall, I think after the Deandre Baker pick just a few years ago, the Giants stay away from Parsons, even though he would be a fantastic player in this defense. I think it is more likely that Oweh is the pick at 11 over Parsons, solely because of the off the field incidences. It is a little unfair, but that is just the way I see it happening.

Would I personally take him at 11? Yes, depending on who was available obviously. I think he is a fantastic talent, and I think the Giants have built a strong enough locker room to handle a big personality like him and also keep him in check, if need be. I think the reward is worth the risk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gmen said:

There are also plenty of freshman that didn't do the crap Parsons is accused of, so I don't think you can just dismiss his behavior because he was a freshman. 

And to assume he's matured 3 years later because he had a kid is also pretty naive.  Making a baby is easy and takes absolutely no maturity whatsoever, especially when you're a star football player.

In my experience, people don't change that quickly or easily.  The screw-ups from high school are usually still screw-ups as adults.  That's not a hard rule, and there are always exceptions.  But that's just what I've seen from my experience. 

We clearly have had different experiences, I'll leave things there.