Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

7 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

First, I don't think Green Bay would trade him.  Nor do I really think Rodgers is really all that serious about not playing for them.  But I'm confused on why he is even unhappy.  

I

He is unhappy because he has been asking for help on offense. In the last 10 years in the first round they have drafted 9 defensive players and his replacement. When he went to management about his thoughts on the direction the team should be going in, management told him to get out of the room. Last but not least against Tom Brady last year in the playoffs, he thought he was working with 4 downs to tie the game up in the last two minutes. Instead he got pulled they kicked a field goal and never got the ball back.

I think he is serious and is not going to play for them again unless someone in upper management gets fired. That being said I doubt the Packers would trade him to a team in the NFC.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2021 at 5:52 PM, ny92mike said:

Appreciate the info, still seems a bit petty to me, but if I was making almost 40 million a year.  It would be difficult to find anything to ***** about....haha.

You would think. But I imagine once you've made that kind of money, your standards change to fit the situation. 

Although I generally agree that Rodgers is a malcontent, I can understand his frustrations after 10+ years of failing to get back to the Super Bowl. Seeing Tom Brady waltz into the NFC and win a ring with another team that gave him everything he wanted... was probably the final straw. 😛

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 6:52 PM, ny92mike said:

Appreciate the info, still seems a bit petty to me, but if I was making almost 40 million a year.  It would be difficult to find anything to ***** about....haha.

The 40 million and Olivia Munn, Danica Patrick, and now Shailene Woodley... what does this man seriously have to complain about???

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

The 40 million and Olivia Munn, Danica Patrick, and now Shailene Woodley... what does this man seriously have to complain about???

Rodgers can complain about the same things Tom Brady complained about when he got the Patriots to trade Jimmy G to the 49ers.

17 hours ago, ny92mike said:

For a second-round pick in 2018, Speaks sure hasn't accomplished much in the league. Sounds like he was just an insurance policy, so getting Ojulari made him redundant. 

Edited by y*so*blu

I was reviewing the new CBA agreement and found some interesting changes, that should benefit teams.

After doubling down on positions in this draft, the team is now knuckle deep at cornerback and even receiver.

I highlighted some of the changes that I found interesting. 

Teams are now able to increase the PS to 14, including 4 with unlimited Accrued Seasons.  This is a huge benefit to the league while also benefiting veterans.  Teams are also allowed to return 3 players from Injured Reserve, while it's bending the rules a bit, teams put players on IR for minor injuries just so they don't have to cut them or out of fear of losing them on Practice Squad.  Whether it's a legit injury or not, I like that the league is allowing more players from injury to return.  Getting injured shouldn't be a season killer not should it damage the team's salary cap or the ability to put players on the field.  

The last thing I'll mention is the 5th year option.  Now when the Fifth-Year Option is exercised, player’s contract is fully guaranteed for fourth and fifth years upon exercise of the option.  I see now why the Giants were delaying putting the Fifth-Year Option on Barkley and perhaps a better picture of his return to health.  In the past, teams could exercise the option and still back out of the contract without it costing the team anything. 

The other change to the option that I found interesting was they eliminated the salary change between players drafted in the first 10 vs 11th thru 32nd.  They also, included pro bowl selections, making the salary option higher. 

Lot's of other changes, if you are interested you can down load the CBA changes here.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/CBA Side by Side 3.9.20 FINAL.pdf

New Practice Squad changes

• Practice Squads expanded to 12 in 2020 and 2021, including 2 players with unlimited Accrued Seasons
  • Further increase to 14 in 2022, including 4 players with unlimited Accrued Seasons
  • No limit on number of times a player may be on Practice Squad
  • Weekly Practice Squad salaries increased to $8.4k in 2020, $9.2k in 2021, $11.5K in 2022, with increases thereafter
    • For unlimited Accrued Seasons players, fixed weekly salaries are $12.0k in 2020, $14.0k in 2021, and $15.4 - $19.9k in 2022; Practice Squad players eligible for 401(k) benefit and tuition assistance benefit.
    • Practice Squad players remain unrestricted free agents.
    • No limitation on the number of years a player may be a Practice Squad player.
    • Practice Squad Players elevated to the Active list may be returned to the Practice Squad without having to go through waivers 2 times. Two Practice Squad players each week may be elevated to the Active/Inactive list (increasing the Active/Inactive roster to 54 or 55).

In addition, teams are allowed an additional player (3 total) to return from Injured Reserve (IR).

• An additional player may be designated-to-return from Injured Reserve (for a total of 3 players).
  • Active roster increased from 46 to 48, with 8 offensive linemen.

Changes to 5th year option

• Starts with the 2018 draft class,
  • Eliminate distinction between players selected in 1st – 10th positions and 11th – 32nd positions
  • Two pro bowls: at franchise tender (1-5)
  • One Pro Bowl: at transition tender (1-10)
  • 75% in 2/3 years or cumulative over 3 years OR 50% playtime in all 3 years: at average of 3-20 at player’s position
  • All others: at average of 3-25 at player’s position
  • If Fifth-Year Option is exercised, player’s contract is fully guaranteed for fourth and fifth years upon exercise of the option.
    • Any individually negotiated terms for voiding apply to guarantee.

NFL changed their policy on substance abuse.  I'm personally not a fan of these new policies, believe they went too lax by removing the disciplinary suspensions.  

Previous Structure

• Discipline-based program
  • Suspensions possible for repeated positive tests
  • Annual testing: April-August
  • Threshold for positive marijuana test:
  • 35 nanograms
  • DUI – 2 game suspension

New Structure

• Emphasis on clinical care over punishment.
    • All treatment and testing decisions will be made by jointly selected medical professionals;
  • No suspension for positive tests if engaged in clinical care.
  • Marijuana:
    • No Suspensions for just a positive test
    • Annual testing limited to the first two weeks of Training Camp;
    • Higher testing thresholds for a positive test from 35 to 150 nanograms;
    • No required length of Program stay;
    • Violations of law for marijuana possession generally will not result in suspension.
  • Increased discipline for a DUI – 3 game suspension.
  • Players permitted at the club facility during the second half of the suspension period.

7 hours ago, ny92mike said:

NFL changed their policy on substance abuse.  I'm personally not a fan of these new policies, believe they went too lax by removing the disciplinary suspensions.  

Previous Structure

• Discipline-based program
  • Suspensions possible for repeated positive tests
  • Annual testing: April-August
  • Threshold for positive marijuana test:
  • 35 nanograms
  • DUI – 2 game suspension

New Structure

• Emphasis on clinical care over punishment.
    • All treatment and testing decisions will be made by jointly selected medical professionals;
  • No suspension for positive tests if engaged in clinical care.
  • Marijuana:
    • No Suspensions for just a positive test
    • Annual testing limited to the first two weeks of Training Camp;
    • Higher testing thresholds for a positive test from 35 to 150 nanograms;
    • No required length of Program stay;
    • Violations of law for marijuana possession generally will not result in suspension.
  • Increased discipline for a DUI – 3 game suspension.
  • Players permitted at the club facility during the second half of the suspension period.

Huh?

it’s about time they adjusted the rules of marijuana. We are in 2021, people should’ve evolved a long time ago 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Huh?

it’s about time they adjusted the rules of marijuana. We are in 2021, people should’ve evolved a long time ago 

I'd agree with you if the evolution of pot had not grown beyond what we called dirt weed back in the day...haha.  The potency levels they're producing now is unreal.  It isn't the weed part of it that caught my attention as much as the clinical care over punishment, which includes all drugs not just pot.

Inside The Nfl Football GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

5 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I'd agree with you if the evolution of pot had not grown beyond what we called dirt weed back in the day...haha.  The potency levels they're producing now is unreal.  It isn't the weed part of it that caught my attention as much as the clinical care over punishment, which includes all drugs not just pot.

Inside The Nfl Football GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

But why? Clinical care is a pathway to healing and rectifying the addiction. Punishment doesn't help the player get sober. Hurts his wallet, hurts the team, and hurts the fans... but does not help the player. 

Just now, Shockwave said:

But why? Clinical care is a pathway to healing and rectifying the addiction. Punishment doesn't help the player get sober. Hurts his wallet, hurts the team, and hurts the fans... but does not help the player. 

In my opinion, on the surface "clinical care" sounds great, but I've seen what clinical care is doing with drug addition in some states.  Where they consider "care" providing clean needles and safe places for users to inject drugs.  Some states are even proposing reducing the charges for, heavy drug use.  In my view, this isn't helping anyone with substance abuse issues, just enabling it.

Punishment serves as a deterrent just like with any other crime.   

39 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

To add. I understand I'm likely in the minority with my views on this and that's okay.

What I mean is when I think of clinical care, they determine the individual has a problem, they then treat the problem, where in most cases is some form of impatient rehab.  Which would prevent the player from even playing football as they would be hospitalized.    

The league now doesn't seem too interested in even testing for drug abuse of any kind.  

Annual testing is now just limited to the first two weeks of training camp.  They increased the THC threshold of nanograms from 35, being a positive test to now up to 150 ng, which numbers that high is considered to be addiction levels from what I'm reading.  If engaged in clinical care, no suspension for positive tests for any drug.  So I'm understanding if you're in care, no suspension for positive test?        

To me this just seems like they're promoting it while creating rules that easily allow them to avoid punishment.

I'm old and set in my ways...haha.

Movie Friday GIF