Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

16 hours ago, Shockwave said:

SB, Booker, Clement, Brightwell, and Armstead. Should be a nice battle for the 3rd active roster spot

I think Brightwell is a PS guy and Armstead and Clement will battle for the 3rd spot, with Clement winning out. I like Armstead, but the guy was hospitalized last year for COVID. I have no idea how he is going to bounce back.

No surprise here.

NFL list biggest remaining offseason priority for each NFC team

https://www.nfl.com/news/biggest-remaining-offseason-priority-for-each-nfc-team-can-seahawks-keep-russell

Giants

Top priority: Foster stability along the front five.

In an alternate universe, beefy/mauling guard Alijah Vera-Tucker is strutting around MetLife Stadium in a Giants jersey. Instead, Big Blue didn't take a single offensive lineman in the draft. What remains is problematic for a group that finished as the second-worst unit league-wide, per Pro Football Focus. First-rounder Andrew Thomas was, at best, massively underwhelming at left tackle. Will Hernandez finished as PFF's 53rd-ranked guard and was essentially benched for fifth-rounder Shane Lemieux, who ranked 80th. Veteran Kevin Zeitler is history. A beyond-his-prime Nate Solder returns from an opt-out year. Guard Zach Fulton was the team's only free-agent add up front. On and on we go. The Giants say they believe in this collection of humans, but implosion feels possible. 

Dallas

Top priority: Establish cohesion on defense.

If nothing else, Dallas showed intense commitment to rebuilding a defense that operated last year as a frothing disaster. The draft brought explosive linebacker Micah Parsons, cover man Kelvin Joseph and six additional rookies on defense. New coordinator Dan Quinn has brought a hands-on approach to a unit that typically appeared lost at sea inside Mike Nolan's overly complex scheme in 2020. The hope is that Quinn's player-friendly plan and approach will revitalize the likes of Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch while allowing far fewer than last year's outrageous 29.6 points per game. 

Eagles

Top priority: Trade for a cover man?

The Eagles went into the draft with a burning need at cornerback. They exited with only one new face at the position in fourth-rounder Zech McPhearson. On paper, a sizable void exists across from Darius Slay on the outside. Philly's most obvious option there, Avonte Maddox, finished as PFF's 121st-ranked corner out of 121 eligible humans. Not something Maddox is likely to highlight on his LinkedIn page. General manager Howie Roseman isn't averse to late-summer swaps, so help could (and should) be on the way. 

Redskins

Top priority: Dive deeper into the Ron Rivera wormhole.

After years of ineptitude, Washington has quickly morphed into a bully under Ron Rivera. The resilient leader spent last season turning the club's defensive line into an identity-rich centerpiece. Inking reliable left tackle Charles Leno Jr. helps do the same on offense for one of the conference's better front fives. Right-sider Brandon Scherff was PFF's fourth-ranked guard; Chase Roullier the site's sixth-ranked pivot. Left guard Ereck Flowers and right tackle Morgan Moses can win fights, although Washington appears ready to move on from the latter. It's exactly what Rivera wants: Strength and brutality at the line of scrimmage for a gaggle of bought-in players no longer willing to be kicked around the field. The team passed on drafting a quarterback -- with no clear long-term answer -- but Ryan Fitzpatrick can cast spells behind this line with a better gang of skill-position talent than Washington's had in ages. 

• Like 2

The number of players attending voluntary OTAs has risen from 40-something to 70-something and includes DJ, Shep, Peart and Ojulari. MetLife will open at full capacity starting Friday! 🤑

I know it's way too early to predict anything right now, but between the pass rush and the receiving corps, where do you expect to see the most improvement? Both are areas of concern that we took major steps to address.

Edited by y*so*blu

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

The number of players attending voluntary OTAs has risen from 40-something to 70-something and includes DJ, Shep, Peart and Ojulari. MetLife will open at full capacity starting Friday! 🤑

I know it's way too early to predict anything right now, but between the pass rush and the receiving corps, where do you expect to see the most improvement? Both are areas of concern that we took major steps to address.

Receiving corps by far. We made much smaller moves with pass rush.

5 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I would say pass rush. We have no idea if the o-line is good or not. If it sucks again DJ is not going to be able throw many touchdown passes while he is on his back. We have vastly upgraded our secondary which will give extra time for our pass rushers to pressure the QB.

23 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think the OL is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

I'm a little concerned about Rob Sale. This being his first go round in the NFL. Tons of college experience but the NFL is a different game. Hope he totally proves me wrong.

13 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I'm a little concerned about Rob Sale. This being his first go round in the NFL. Tons of college experience but the NFL is a different game. Hope he totally proves me wrong.

Out of everything related to the OL this year, Rob Sale should definitely be the least worried about piece. His work is highly, highly regarded and the results are impressive. He turned Dotson and Hunt into NFL quality linemen; both had good rookie years. Louisiana hasn't had 2 OL drafted in the same draft possibly ever, at least not in the last 30 years.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Just curious what part of that OL is any good?

Depends on what standard for good you are going by. If you are going with the typical Eagles fan standard for Giants players, if you don't make the pro-bowl or the all-pro team you suck.  Then none of OL is any good. You know the same standard Eagles fan don't apply to their own players.

If you are asking who we  believe will be good, that is a different question. Except for Will Hernandez, all the expected Giants starters were rookies or were playing the position for the first time.  They did not have a real offseason or any preseason games to help them. On top of that one of the reasons why the offensive line coach was fired was for teaching our OL the wrong techniques to use. When factoring the Giants OL will have a real off season along with preseason games, along with better coaching, that alone should have the Giants OL improved.

I believe most Giants fans  believe the same about Andrew Thomas and Matt Peart.

When Joe Judge got involved with the offensive line, teaching the proper techniques, Andrew Thomas improved, he was also playing through an injury during the entire season. We believe Andrew Thomas will be good.

Matt Peart was drafted because he had all the physical tools with the lone exception that he had the body of tight end and was going to need an offseason  to gain a true offensive tackle body. Matt Peart also played well with his limited snaps before he caught Covid-19. This off season Matt Peart gained the weight and is a massive man. This should be his first season starting, I would be happy if he just played to an average level this year. I expected him to be good if not dominant in 2022 and beyond.

There are different opinions about Nick Gates, Will Hernandez, and Shane Lemieux.

I like what I saw and have heard about Nick Gates, I believe he will be a good center this year.

Will Hernandez was drafted to be a mauler, this coaching staff want their guards to be athletic and mobile which Hernandez was not last season, he was also playing with an injury last year while dealing with complications from Covid-19. Having a real off season to work with, he has slimmed down, he also in the last year of his rookie deal and is playing for his next contract. Can Will Hernandez be good next season, I believe he will but would not put money on it. I can say he will be better than he was in 2020.

Shane Lemieux, is a good run blocker and horrible at pass protection. I am not sure a 5th round draft pick can all of a sudden make himself good at pass protection, he is the the one I have the most doubts about.

• Like 2

Generally you can take expert opinions with a grain of salt, but this is one I happen to agree with.

Are the Dallas Cowboys, who will see the return of quarterback Dak Prescott, poised to run away with the NFC East in 2021? That seems to be the general consensus, but not everyone agrees.

While the Philadelphia Eagles appear to be an absolute mess, both the New York Giants and Washington Football Team continue to improve on paper. They’ve shored up various areas of weakness and their defenses could be among the best in football.

“I think that, No. 1, the Washington Football Team and the Giants are better coached top to bottom,” Orlovsky said during an appearance on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “I think they’ve got a better coaching staff top to bottom. No. 2, they have more complete rosters with less holes. The third thing is we can’t just say quarterback performance equals football team wins. That’s not the NFL.”

I imagine that wasn't well received on a Cowboys fan station. 

Edited by y*so*blu