Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

I was reading the background on Carter Coughlin. I had no idea he was being touted in his first year at Minnesota as a 1st rd pick. Article i read said due to poor subsuquent seasons his draft stock fell thru the floor. Interested to see how this kid grows into his role on this team. 

Coughlin was one of my favorite EDGE rushers last year due to latent upside. He has athleticism for days, his hand usage was really really good coming out, he's flexible enough and he's figuring out how to move his body throw tight spaces more. His only real issues were his length and strength. But he's been looking really good with our Beef upfront letting him just attack. On top of that, he definitely looks stronger. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

Coughlin was one of my favorite EDGE rushers last year due to latent upside. He has athleticism for days, his hand usage was really really good coming out, he's flexible enough and he's figuring out how to move his body throw tight spaces more. His only real issues were his length and strength. But he's been looking really good with our Beef upfront letting him just attack. On top of that, he definitely looks stronger. 

I've always been rooting for the Minny guy. If Sunday is any indication of where Carter's headed, then I'm very optimistic about his future with us.

Good interview from Logan Ryan on The Herd: "We knew Seattle. They're a team that relies on energy. They come at you in waves; they come at you with intimidation. We weren't afraid of D.K. Metcalf. We weren't afraid of Russ. We knew we had to be a team that's together, that's tough, to sustain and endure their waves."

Also have to give props to James Bradberry once again. He did a great job of limiting D.K. Metcalf, and while that stiff-arm play was a major highlight, it ended with Bradberry tackling him and almost dislodging the ball.

• Like 2

Still have a lot of football left, but I'm already looking at this upcoming offseason and what this team needs to do to build upon what Joe Judge is creating.

Team needs, free agents and the draft...

Where do you see our needs and how would you address those needs?

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Still have a lot of football left, but I'm already looking at this upcoming offseason and what this team needs to do to build upon what Joe Judge is creating.

On offense assuming Peart will be the Right Tackle next season, I think we only need a true #1 wideout for the offense. An upgrade at backup QB would be nice if DJ gets injured again.

On defense I would franchise Leonard Williams for a second time. We need a true #1 pass rusher, a play making linebacker other than Martinez and #2 and #3 Cornerback. 

Sadly we don't have a ton of cap space to get a free agent #1 wideout. I am sure can get a quality #2 and #3 Cornerback in the draft. If we make the playoffs I doubt a #1 pass rusher will still be there for us, perhaps that play making linebacker or that #1 Wideout will be there for us with our #1 pick. 

Edited by Go_Giants

4 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Needs: Edge, CB2, WR1, OG, ILB 

FA Targets: Bud Dupree and Allen Robinson

43 minutes ago, Kodaraw said:

Needs: Edge, CB2, WR1, OG, ILB 

FA Targets: Bud Dupree and Allen Robinson

Both of those guys are going to make a massive amount of money.

I wouldn't mind going after JC Jackson. Him and Bradberry would be a really good outside duo for a long time. I think we up extending Williams(13M-16M/Year), Tomlinson(8-10M), and Ryan(8M-11M). Trading Engram(saving around 6m), extending Bradberry by two years (Freeing up 4m this year), cutting Solder and Tate as June 1st cuts (saving roughly 17.5M) and Restructuring Shepard (Saving around 4-6M). All those moves would leave us around 24M to spend that's via Over the Cap, but I do not know how realistic all that is of happening. 

Thomas and Peart are looking like bookends at Tackle. Lemieux hasn't been great and that's being nice. The fact Hernandez hasn't taken his job back is slightly concerning, and he still can't move a body on running plays. Zeitler has been average not entirely worth the money, and Gates has been meh but playing a lot better recently. I don't think the O-line is done adding talent. I could def see us adding a guard or center on day 2 this year. 

I still can't reason why Kaden Smith can't get on the field for more receiving opportunities. 

I really like Terrace Marshall from LSU, I also really like Wyatt Davis at 19 if he even lasts that long. He's got All-Pro Guard written all over him. A dark horse guy I bet the Giants love is Zaven Collins. He can literally line up any where in the front 7 and be extremely effective. Really good in coverage, a good rusher,  really athletic, and he's pretty good against the run (should be better attacking downhill with his size, but he makes so many backside plays it's ridiculous). He oozes that versatility on D that Judge and Graham love. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

On offense assuming Peart will be the Right Tackle next season, I think we only need a true #1 wideout for the offense. An upgrade at backup QB would be nice if DJ gets injured again.

On defense I would franchise Leonard Williams for a second time. We need a true #1 pass rusher, a play making linebacker other than Martinez and #2 and #3 Cornerback. 

Sadly we don't have a ton of cap space to get a free agent #1 wideout. I am sure can get a quality #2 and #3 Cornerback in the draft. If we make the playoffs I doubt a #1 pass rusher will still be there for us, perhaps that play making linebacker or that #1 Wideout will be there for us with our #1 pick. 

I'd rather spend big on another FA CB and draft a WR high. These rookie CBs are so hit and miss, and even when they hit, they take a while to develop. The WRs getting drafted nowadays, especially in the past few years and this coming year, and pro ready out of the gate. They can contribute immediately.

Also, we have enough cap space to do whatever we want in FA this year. There are ways of moving money around and structuring contracts that are not even all that risky and allow us to stack up. Those Bradberry and Martinez contracts, the big ones from this year, are really incredible. They don't inhibit us at all. We are going to carry over $6 million in space from this year, add it to the expected $18 million cap space we will have next year, add in the benefits we get from cuts to Zeitler, Solder, and Tate, and we are in great shape. I say we push our chips in and go all in. We only have 3 more years of DJ on his rookie deal, and if we think he's the guy, we need to make the push now.

I say we resign Leonard Williams to a 3 year deal, same with Dalvin Tomlinson for less money (3 years), and sign Logan Ryan to a 3 year deal as well. Let Fackrell, Fleming, Gallman, and the rest walk. Cut Zeitler, Solder, and Golden Tate. Sign William Jackson or Shaq Griffin in FA. Sign Shaq Barrett. Sign Corey Davis. Draft like we did this year. Make that push for the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'd rather spend big on another FA CB and draft a WR high. These rookie CBs are so hit and miss, and even when they hit, they take a while to develop. The WRs getting drafted nowadays, especially in the past few years and this coming year, and pro ready out of the gate. They can contribute immediately.

Also, we have enough cap space to do whatever we want in FA this year. There are ways of moving money around and structuring contracts that are not even all that risky and allow us to stack up. Those Bradberry and Martinez contracts, the big ones from this year, are really incredible. They don't inhibit us at all. We are going to carry over $6 million in space from this year, add it to the expected $18 million cap space we will have next year, add in the benefits we get from cuts to Zeitler, Solder, and Tate, and we are in great shape. I say we push our chips in and go all in. We only have 3 more years of DJ on his rookie deal, and if we think he's the guy, we need to make the push now.

I say we resign Leonard Williams to a 3 year deal, same with Dalvin Tomlinson for less money (3 years), and sign Logan Ryan to a 3 year deal as well. Let Fackrell, Fleming, Gallman, and the rest walk. Cut Zeitler, Solder, and Golden Tate. Sign William Jackson or Shaq Griffin in FA. Sign Shaq Barrett. Sign Corey Davis. Draft like we did this year. Make that push for the playoffs.

While I agree with drafting a wideout instead of spending free agent money, I don't believe we have all this money you seem to think we do. We are going to take a cap hit for releasing Solder. I think out of our  three defensive free agents(Leonard, Dalvin and Ryan) we can only keep two of them.  I do understand we will save a lot cap room for cutting Zeitler, I am just not sure  Lemieux is the answer yet, that is asking a lot of 5th round pick, while he has done well in run blocking he needs a lot of work on his pass blocking.

I can see us going 1st round Wideout, 2nd round  Cornerback, 3rd Linebacker and perhaps move up in the fourth round to get another quality Cornerback . I emphasis cornerbacks because we are doing things the Patriot way which is being able to cover in the secondary and generating a pass rush. It is clearly already working, a decent amount of those sacks against Seattle were coverage sacks, can you imagine what we can do with this defense with an upgrade at the #2 and #3 cb position.   

The Cowboys are a mess, the Eagles can't escape Wentz's contract and the Redskins don't have a QB of the future. I think we are going to be at the top of this division for a long while if we play it safe and smart with our cap.

4 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

While I agree with drafting a wideout instead of spending free agent money, I don't believe we have all this money you seem to think we do. We are going to take a cap hit for releasing Solder. I think out of our  three defensive free agents(Leonard, Dalvin and Ryan) we can only keep two of them.  I do understand we will save a lot cap room for cutting Zeitler, I am just not sure  Lemieux is the answer yet, that is asking a lot of 5th round pick, while he has done well in run blocking he needs a lot of work on his pass blocking.

I can see us going 1st round Wideout, 2nd round  Cornerback, 3rd Linebacker and perhaps move up in the fourth round to get another quality Cornerback . I emphasis cornerbacks because we are doing things the Patriot way which is being able to cover in the secondary and generating a pass rush. It is clearly already working, a decent amount of those sacks against Seattle were coverage sacks, can you imagine what we can do with this defense with an upgrade at the #2 and #3 cb position.   

The Cowboys are a mess, the Eagles can't escape Wentz's contract and the Redskins don't have a QB of the future. I think we are going to be at the top of this division for a long while if we play it safe and smart with our cap.

How do you figure the bolded? Even as a pre-June 1st cut, we get $10 million in dead money, but save $6 million. Post-June 1st, the numbers are even better. It may be moot, because I have a feeling Solder retires anyway. 

You're a bit more confident in the rest of the division sucking for a while than I am. Wentz is close to the worst QB in football this year, but if the Eagles take the right steps and dedicate resources to 'fixing' him, he could come back very strong. They are severely handicapped against the cap due to dumb decisions, but I'd never count them out. WFT is a few OL and a QB away from being very good. Not saying those pieces are easy to find, but they're close.

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

How do you figure the bolded? Even as a pre-June 1st cut, we get $10 million in dead money, but save $6 million. Post-June 1st, the numbers are even better. It may be moot, because I have a feeling Solder retires anyway. 

You're a bit more confident in the rest of the division sucking for a while than I am. Wentz is close to the worst QB in football this year, but if the Eagles take the right steps and dedicate resources to 'fixing' him, he could come back very strong. They are severely handicapped against the cap due to dumb decisions, but I'd never count them out. WFT is a few OL and a QB away from being very good. Not saying those pieces are easy to find, but they're close.

Yes if the Eagles took the right steps to fix him there is a chance he could come back very strong. They are not taking that chance, they benched Wentz to see if Hurts can be the QB of the future and if he fails they are most likely going to draft a QB. The WFT all ready spent high draft capitol in a QB they do not believe in, plus with them winning games it is going to be that much harder for them to get a QB. As we all know this is a QB driven league. 

As for the cap, we are not 40 to 50 million over the cap to make all the moves some people here want to make. That 10 million dead cap space money from Solder hurts and I doubt he is going to retire. I believe we both agree that Leonard Williams is going to want 20 million a year. That is eating up 30 million right then and there.

1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

Yes if the Eagles took the right steps to fix him there is a chance he could come back very strong. They are not taking that chance, they benched Wentz to see if Hurts can be the QB of the future and if he fails they are most likely going to draft a QB. The WFT all ready spent high draft capitol in a QB they do not believe in, plus with them winning games it is going to be that much harder for them to get a QB. As we all know this is a QB driven league. 

As for the cap, we are not 40 to 50 million over the cap to make all the moves some people here want to make. That 10 million dead cap space money from Solder hurts and I doubt he is going to retire. I believe we both agree that Leonard Williams is going to want 20 million a year. That is eating up 30 million right then and there.

You know what may hurt more than $10 million in dead money from Solder? $16 million sitting on the bench.

Williams may want an average of $20 million a year, but you can structure contracts to accommodate a potentially lower cap next year. It's done all the time.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

You know what may hurt more than $10 million in dead money from Solder? $16 million sitting on the bench.

Williams may want an average of $20 million a year, but you can structure contracts to accommodate a potentially lower cap next year. It's done all the time.

I never said I wanted to keep Solder, cutting him is needed as is his cap hit. We all ready have at least two big contracts coming up with Barkley in two years and DJ in three. So lets not do this push the contract down the line, just bite the bullet now to give us more cap space for the future when we need it. Lets just agree to disagree.

I think we are going to be on top for years to come. There is no need to spend big to win this division, we are winning  now with smoke and mirrors next year when we get an influx of talent due to the draft and hopefully some wise mid-tier free agent signing plus DJ continued growth as a Qb with Saquon running behind a o-line that can actually block for him, the sky is limit for this team. I feel there is just no need to force things contract wise and free agent signing wise. 

A bad return game all around for Daniel Jones as he looked scared, turned the ball over, got little protection from the line, and was limping noticeably by the end of the game. Joe Judge is sure to take heat, if not for bringing him back too soon then at least for leaving him in the game when he was obviously done. We invested too much in Jones to take needless chances with his health.

Our defense held up all right until the second half when they got tired, which is going to happen when you're not committing to our strong suit--the running game--and having a shaky QB throw on first and tens. Arizona might have been the first game where the new coaching staff let us down.

Do you put it on them, or on Jones' apparent physical and mental fragility?

Edited by y*so*blu

I was working on a post last night for this game, got sidetracked so it never got posted, however I'm pulling part of that to discuss Dave Gettleman.  I'm obviously not a fan, have been talking about how incompetent he's been as the Giants general manager.  Gettleman's best transaction to date has been the signing of Joe Judge and I'm really not even sure how much of a role he actually played in that signing.  Sorry, simply not a fan of Dave's previous work and the way this last offseason transactions have worked out it makes me almost certain that Judge had a heavy hand in the comings and goings of this past offseason.  Just too much good happening for this team right now for me to believe, it's been anything but him.  Just look at the transactions from free agency signings down to the draft selections before and after Joe Judge's hire.  As much as I'd love to have Joe handling everything team related, it's a lot to ask of one individual.  Regardless of the leaps and bounds that we've seen from this defensive unit we can't have a quarterback that continues to turn the ball over the number of times that he does in a game and expect to win. 

We beat Seattle without Daniel Jones and a big reason for that is our team didn't turn the ball over numerous times in that game.  There was a reason why a lot of us believed he was drafted too high and it's starting to show.  He has amassed 25 fumbles, 21 int, 69 sacks not including today's game, which he added to those totals.  He is a turnover machine and much of that is on him.  He's blind to pressure, sits too long in the pocket, doesn't go through his progressions as often as I'd like to see, doesn't make the correct protection calls pre snap.  You guys saw that the first sack could have been avoided by Markus Golden if he had just corrected the protection for Evan, I believe was the TE on the right side for that play.

Sad to say it, but Daniel Jones is looking like another one of Gettleman's busted picks.  Crazy to think we could of had Josh Allen in 2018, but Dave opted to draft Barkley, who's best season to date was with Eli behind center.

8 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Thank you for your comment. I’m sure a smart fan like yourself would know, Barkley has been on the IR since tearing his ACL in week 2. He did not play in this game.

He is often hurts proofs my point last year he missed 3 games and seemed to be beat up

this year he tears an acl

rb have short shelf like look at zeek while he is still solid he no longer is an elite back