Jump to content

Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, McConkeysStache said:

Anyone think theres any chance we give Mitchell Schwartz a look on a 1 year deal?

No, he underwent back surgery in the off-season and he was contemplating retirement in June.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, McConkeysStache said:

What do you think about Okung or Reiter. Possibly trade for Allegreti from KC?

There’s always a chance, but I think the coaches are comfortable with our OL and Solder as veteran depth 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me this is a big deal, having an iffy Golladay might not have been enough against Denver great secondary. With Golladay and Rudolph plus the weapons we all ready have, I think the offense will be okay.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudolph will hopefully play a huge role this year in 2 specific areas: underneath routes from the TE alignment with a hand in the dirt (the ones that Engram failed horribly at last year that resulted in way too many turnovers) and in the redzone. We need him desperately.

This should leave Engram to play more out wide, which is where he is much more effective. If Golladay is out week 1 (I hope not, but can't rule that out currently), I think the smart move would be to let Engram play his role.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's little doubt in my mind Golladay will be ready for Week 1. As soon as he went down it was the end of training camp for him. Sure, he's missing some time gaining rapport with DJ but this prolonged recovery is nothing surprising at all. 

I was really hoping John Ross would be a great pickup for us. Not a top WR but a depth guy that gets 5-10 snaps per game on offense and puts stress on the defense. I know his injury is minor but it seems like he's once again not going to be able to reach his full potential due to injuries. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, GMENNATION said:

There's little doubt in my mind Golladay will be ready for Week 1. As soon as he went down it was the end of training camp for him. Sure, he's missing some time gaining rapport with DJ but this prolonged recovery is nothing surprising at all. 

I was really hoping John Ross would be a great pickup for us. Not a top WR but a depth guy that gets 5-10 snaps per game on offense and puts stress on the defense. I know his injury is minor but it seems like he's once again not going to be able to reach his full potential due to injuries. 

 

I hope you are right. The offense is going to be anemic without him, Saquon, and Rudolph. They could all easily go either way right now for week 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The kicker carousel in the NFL, and specifically involving the Giants, is pretty funny.

There are a couple teams with starting kickers who spent time as the backup kicker with the Giants: Brandon McManus in Denver, Chris Boswell in Pittsburgh, Aldrick Rosas in Jax last year and New Orleans this year, and now Ryan Santoso in Carolina. However, Santoso was acquired presumably to replace ANOTHER former Giants kicker, Joey Slye, in Carolina. Slye is still a good kicker and should get a job elsewhere, assuming he is cut. The funny thing about Joey Slye is that he was brought in to Carolina after he was cut by the Giants to replace none other than Graham Gano, who had been injured. So Gano gets injured in Carolina, Slye goes from New York to Carolina, Gano gets cut and signs with New York, then a few years later Carolina trades with New York for Santoso.

Around and around we go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

The kicker carousel in the NFL, and specifically involving the Giants, is pretty funny.

There are a couple teams with starting kickers who spent time as the backup kicker with the Giants: Brandon McManus in Denver, Chris Boswell in Pittsburgh, Aldrick Rosas in Jax last year and New Orleans this year, and now Ryan Santoso in Carolina. However, Santoso was acquired presumably to replace ANOTHER former Giants kicker, Joey Slye, in Carolina. Slye is still a good kicker and should get a job elsewhere, assuming he is cut. The funny thing about Joey Slye is that he was brought in to Carolina after he was cut by the Giants to replace none other than Graham Gano, who had been injured. So Gano gets injured in Carolina, Slye goes from New York to Carolina, Gano gets cut and signs with New York, then a few years later Carolina trades with New York for Santoso.

Around and around we go.

It's bizarre and makes you wonder why we ever hand out multi-year deals to kickers. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it hurt to let go of Brandon McManus because you knew he was going to be a good kicker but we had somebody else locked in (can't even remember who at this point). 

Same thing happens here with Santoso. There was no discussion about him making the team because we just locked Gano in for 3 years and Gano had a great year last year but why do we need to commit to him for 3 years? It's not breaking the bank either way so I guess it's not a big deal but it's such a weird market. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

It's bizarre and makes you wonder why we ever hand out multi-year deals to kickers. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it hurt to let go of Brandon McManus because you knew he was going to be a good kicker but we had somebody else locked in (can't even remember who at this point). 

Same thing happens here with Santoso. There was no discussion about him making the team because we just locked Gano in for 3 years and Gano had a great year last year but why do we need to commit to him for 3 years? It's not breaking the bank either way so I guess it's not a big deal but it's such a weird market. 

Josh Brown 😶

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we see some decent play out of DJ this weekend. I know JJ said hes gonna play possibly the whole 1st half. Wanna see where the big boys up front are at. Im not worried about our defence in the least. My question is and always will be for this team is DJ good enough and is this oline good enough. Im still mad af  about us passing on Parsons and Slater and dropping down to take Kadarius Phoney. Well see whats up next. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Hope we see some decent play out of DJ this weekend. I know JJ said hes gonna play possibly the whole 1st half. Wanna see where the big boys up front are at. Im not worried about our defence in the least. My question is and always will be for this team is DJ good enough and is this oline good enough. Im still mad af  about us passing on Parsons and Slater and dropping down to take Kadarius Phoney. Well see whats up next. 

For myself, I believe DJ is good enough, I just think our offensive line might not allow him to show he is good enough. My eyes are mostly going to be on Shane and Matt. I would not be surprised if DJ does not play well, none of his new weapons (Kenny, Kyle and Kadarius) will be there for this game.

I am disappointed  about not drafting Micah Parsons and now we have to see him twice a year with Dallas. Getting Azeez Ojulari in the 2nd round did lessen some of that disappointment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...