Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

12 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Rashawn Slater was sitting right there. Top OT in the draft. I watched a Chargers game and he looks every bit as advertised. 

We had our pick before trading down.  AVT was my pick but I have yet to see the Jets play, but you're right I hear Slater is killing it.

Instead, we draft a receiver when we're apparently so deep at the position he can hardly get on the field.  With all the receiver injuries, he should be shooting up the depth chart and into a starting role.  Anything less than that tells me we didn't need to draft him.

Our biggest need with two highly ranked offensive lineman available to us and after the draft was over, we got to hear how confident they were with the current players on the roster.  

Watching Dave work is like watching an episode of Wile E. Coyote.   

Flying Looney Tunes GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ny92mike said:

We had our pick before trading down.  AVT was my pick but I have yet to see the Jets play, but you're right I hear Slater is killing it.

Instead, we draft a receiver when we're apparently so deep at the position he can hardly get on the field.  With all the receiver injuries, he should be shooting up the depth chart and into a starting role.  Anything less than that tells me we didn't need to draft him.

Our biggest need with two highly ranked offensive lineman available to us and after the draft was over, we got to hear how confident they were with the current players on the roster.  

Watching Dave work is like watching an episode of Wile E. Coyote.   

Flying Looney Tunes GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Ya AVT was another guy whom a prospect i had in mind. At our pick we had our choice of Parsons and Slater. Now me personally i thought the whole offseason this team was zeroing in on either an OL or Pass rusher. The trade happens, and that blew everything out of the water. 

Giant News

Buzzards are no longer circling, they've landed...haha.

Buzzards Circling Amazon GIF by Nature on PBS

Injury Report

Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Darius Slayton WR Hamstring Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Kaden Smith TE Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
Saquon Barkley RB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Keion Crossen CB Elbow Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
Tae Crowder LB Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
Cullen Gillaspia RB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Kenny Golladay WR   Limited Participation in Practice  
Casey Kreiter LS   Limited Participation in Practice  
Ben Bredeson G Hand Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Sterling Shepard WR Hamstring Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Blake Martinez LB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Nate Ebner S Quadricep Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
Logan Ryan S   Limited Participation in Practice

With Kenny Golladay nursing an injury and now Slayton and Shepard ruled out for Sunday's game.

So who's Jones throwing to?

• Kenny Golladay (11 rec / 166 yds)
  • John Ross (no stats)
  • Kadarius Toney (4 rec / 14 yds)
  • Collin Johnson (5 rec / 51 yds)
  • CJ Board (2 rec / 44 yds)

Jones still has his tight ends and hopefully JG scheme our offense this week in more two tight end sets.  I'd like to see Toney in the slot the entire game and not these brief appearances on some stupid trick play where he gets tackled behind the line.  Get this kid out in space and see what he can do. 

The one player that really needs to step up this Sunday is Saquon Barkley to get the pressure of Daniel Jones, who seems to be doing it all right now, passing and rushing.  Jones is currently leading the team in rushing yards, which you'd think would be embarrassing to Barkley.  2nd overall pick being outperformed by his quarterback in the ground game...Shameful!

Offensive line shakeup

First some good news -  Andrew Thomas, whom I'll admit was my favorite tackle in the draft that year, I loved his ability to run block upfield and just assumed he'd continue to improve upon his pass block.  Saw this kid as a future HOFer.  So it's nice to read articles such as this one, "Andrew Thomas becoming Giants rock after rough start to career".

Projected starters this week

• LT Andrew Thomas
  • LG Matt Skura
  • C Billy Price
  • RG Will Hernandez
  • RT Nate Solder

Obvious this is concerning at least to me, since a chunk of the middle will be manned by players that haven't been with the team but just a short while.  

It's unfortunate about Nick Gates injury, while I didn't view him as our best option at center, I always considered him a player with huge potential.  He was definitely the type of player the team needed on the line to fire them up.  The team really needs to dig deep to find a leader of this unit.  I personally hope that it's Thomas, could also see Solder stepping into this role.

I know I keep going on about the general manager's mistakes, but this next bit of news got to me.  Was great to see that our rookie Azeez getting some love at number 9, but guess who slid in at one?  That's right Slater, offensive lineman that we had a chance to draft prior to trading down.

ESPN ranks Giants' Azeez Ojulari among top 10 rookies

Through the first three weeks of the regular season, New York Giants edge rusher Azeez Ojulari has compiled three sacks — one in each game.

Ojulari is the first Giants rookie in history to record a sack in each of first three career games. He’s also the first NFL player to accomplish that feat since Myles Garrett in 2017.

That was enough for ESPN to rank Ojulari among the league’s top 10 rookies (so far). Kadarius Toney, of course, did not make the cut.

9. Azeez Ojulari, OLB, New York Giants

Stats: 7 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 1 forced fumble
Drafted: No. 50 overall

Ojulari leads all rookies in sacks and is the first player in Giants history to have a sack in each of his first three career games. He has transferred a fiercely competitive approach from college to his first NFL season and has shown more polish in the pass rush than some had expected. His 17.5% pass rush win rate trails just Parsons and Tampa Bay’s Joe Tryon-Shoyinka among rookies.

Although the Giants and their fans will be pleased to see Ojulari at No. 9 on this list, it’ll be frustrating to know that Los Angeles Chargers offensive lineman Rashawn Slater took the No. 1 overall spot.

Oh, and Dallas Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons checked in at No. 2.

Speaking of this idiot GM, sorry.

I'm just now reading that another restructure was just completed to free up cap space.

The New York Giants are restructuring the contract of cornerback James Bradberry in order to create cap space.

As they’ve done numerous times recently, the Giants are restructuring the contract of one of their players.

This time, it’s starting cornerback James Bradberry.

Dan Duggan of The Athletic reports the restructure will create $2.7 million in 2021 cap space for the organization.

The Giants also restructured the contracts of Logan Ryan and Sterling Shepard last month in order to create cap space. This available space could thus be used for in-season emergencies in case the Giants would like to add depth to the roster via the free-agent or trade markets.

New York inked Bradberry, a 2020 Pro Bowler, to a three-year, $45 million deal ahead of last season. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Toney wanted more snaps, and he's about to get his wish. 😬

I sure hope so and hope he's ready for them.  Just hope that Jason doesn't give him additional trick play reps and that he actually has him running routes that take him past the line of scrimmage. 

I'm ready for tomorrow as it's going to tell us a lot about the future of this team. 

From GiantsWire:

But before we look ahead to the Week 5 game, let’s see what interesting stats, numbers and broken records were birthed from the Week 4 victory over New Orleans.

• The Giants won in New Orleans for the first time since December of 1993.
  • The Giants overcame an 11-point fourth quarter deficit — their first comeback of 11 points of more in the final quarter since September 16, 2012.
  • The victory was the team’s first comeback win since September 22, 2019 — Daniel Jones’ first career start.
  • New York’s 27 points was their highest total in a victory of the Joe Judge era.
  • The 485 yards produced by the offense was the most since Jason Garrett became offensive coordinator.
  • The Giants’ 402 net yards passing was the ninth-most in franchise history.
  • Jones’ 28 completions tied his career high.
  • Jones had two touchdown passes of 50-plus yards. The last time the team had two 50-plus yard touchdown passes came back in December 17, 2017.
  • Jones had thrown 124 passes before tossing an interception on Sunday (game on a hail mary to end the first half).
  • Saquon Barkley had 126 yards from the scrimmage — the 21st time he’s exceeded 100 total yards in his career.
  • Kadarius Toney made his first NFL start.
  • John Ross made his Giants debut and caught a touchdown on his first reception.
  • Matt Skura made his Giants debut, starting at left guard.
  • Graham Gano’s missed field goal ended his streak of 37 consecutive makes.

The Cowboys are nowhere near as good as the Saints on defense. If we stay aggressive, we can hang with them even if it turns into a shootout.

Ideally our defense just completely shuts them down... but that probably ain't happening.

• Like 1

This was an awesome, unexpected win. The way in which it happened was the most encouraging- a comeback win, on the road in the one of the most hostile environments, against a pretty good defense.

I'll be that guy- is Daniel Jones actually good? Not like 'on his way', but right now, just good?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'll be that guy- is Daniel Jones actually good? Not like 'on his way', but right now, just good?

Some of us, not a lot but some of us have always believed Daniel Jones is good, he just didn't have the weapons or a decent offensive line.

2 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Some of us, not a lot but some of us have always believed Daniel Jones is good, he just didn't have the weapons or a decent offensive line.

Most of us felt he had the potential to be good if he could rectify the turnovers. Which the last couple of weeks he has. That fumble in week 2 was absolutely inexcusable but since then he's played top notch. His accuracy and athleticism has always been there, what he needed to improve upon was reading the defenses and protecting the ball. He seems to be making strides in those areas. The oline seems to be gelling together nicely and Jones is getting comfortable and now the deep ball is really starting to shine. But let's pump the brakes here I'm pulling for the kid. But he needs to demonstrate he can deliver this level of play consistently. He's still sitting on 44 total turnovers vs 44 total scores...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Most of us felt he had the potential to be good if he could rectify the turnovers. Which the last couple of weeks he has. That fumble in week 2 was absolutely inexcusable but since then he's played top notch.

I am sure you meant the fumble in week one. Saying people felt he had the potential to be good is not saying much. Every player on an nfl team has the potential to be good. DJ is good, I am not saying great I am saying good, he was just setup to fail before with a horrible offensive line and below average wideouts. He has cut down on the turns overs sense the second half of last season. 

If the Giants do let go of DJ, he will be another Ryan Tannehill or Sam Dornald. 

17 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I am sure you meant the fumble in week one. Saying people felt he had the potential to be good is not saying much. Every player on an nfl team has the potential to be good. DJ is good, I am not saying great I am saying good, he was just setup to fail before with a horrible offensive line and below average wideouts. He has cut down on the turns overs sense the second half of last season. 

If the Giants do let go of DJ, he will be another Ryan Tannehill or Sam Dornald. 

44 turnovers in 31 games played is not good football. If you're not playing good football you simply aren't good period. He's trending up and hopefully is turning the corner. However he still has alot to prove and he's got three good defenses coming up on the schedule. Let's see how he handles this span.

Edited by Shockwave

Keeping this up will be the biggest challenge, but also the biggest indicator on if he is actually good. Because right now, undeniably, he is playing very well, and that is by every metric. PFF has him with the 2nd highest passing grade in football. His EPA+CPOE is great- top-10-12 I believe. He's top-10 in passing yards and only has 1 interception, which didn't matter and shouldn't even count against him. Add that to the fact that he has the highest YPC average in the NFL among all players, is 2nd among QBs in rushing yards per game, and has more rushing yards than most RBs, including his own.

• Like 1