Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

23 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

If the Giants do let go of DJ, he will be another Ryan Tannehill or Sam Dornald. 

Obviously depend on the situation he falls into. I think Jones has plenty of potential. We have seen it plenty especially late in the season last year. I think he was getting in a groove. He seems to be getting back in it again now and this game will definitely set a tone.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Keeping this up will be the biggest challenge, but also the biggest indicator on if he is actually good. Because right now, undeniably, he is playing very well, and that is by every metric. PFF has him with the 2nd highest passing grade in football. His EPA+CPOE is great- top-10-12 I believe. He's top-10 in passing yards and only has 1 interception, which didn't matter and shouldn't even count against him. Add that to the fact that he has the highest YPC average in the NFL among all players, is 2nd among QBs in rushing yards per game, and has more rushing yards than most RBs, including his own.

If you put any stock in QBR he's rated higher then Dak, Allen, and Rodgers so far...

The pick was meaningless and he also should have had another passing TD that play to Ross was ruled a fumble recovery.

2 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

If you put any stock in QBR he's rated higher then Dak, Allen, and Rodgers so far...

The pick was meaningless and he also should have had another passing TD that play to Ross was ruled a fumble recovery.

They actually have officially ruled that a passing TD, according to Art Stapleton.

I put next to 0 stock into ESPN's QBR. I take CPOE, EPA, and PFF rating with a grain of salt each. I put almost all my stock into the eye test from watching a player. Those stats are good for if you don't have time to watch every player or a certain player; they give you an idea of how they are playing. There is no mistaking the eye test though, and DJ is very much passing the eye test. He looks good.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Have we talked about Toney yet? Because that kid could be special. We haven't seen someone with movement skills like his since Odell.

That conversion on 3rd and 18 was some straight up wizardry. Why JG isn't force feeding him and SB the ball in space baffles me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

That conversion on 3rd and 18 was some straight up wizardry. Why JG isn't force feeding him and SB the ball in space baffles me. 

There was a run option on Sunday with both Saquon and Toney in the backfield. Jones ultimately gave it to Saquon, but it looked like the alternative was DJ keeping it and Toney playing the RB role in a traditional option play. A triple option with Saquon, DJ, and Toney. I want to see him keep it so bad next time.

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Have we talked about Toney yet? Because that kid could be special. We haven't seen someone with movement skills like his since Odell.

Another mark against Jason Garrett. That 3rd and 18 play, Toney did that with natural talent, that was not something that needed to be coached up. Toney had every right to be pissed off about his lack of use for the first three games.

The injuries to Shepard and Slayton were blessing in disguise because it forced Jason Garrett to focus on Toney and Golladay. 

How many people in the entire league can do what Toney does? Alvin Kamara, Odell in his prime and who else? Plus he is a converted QB which means there is so much untapped potential with in him as a wideout.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

He looks exactly like OBJ out there, in terms of the way he moves. That's definitely a good thing. Obviously the other trait that make OBJ special his catch radius and ability to attack the ball - which Toney doesn't have. Nevertheless, when the ball is in his hands, he has comparable playmaking ability to OBJ.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

He looks exactly like OBJ out there, in terms of the way he moves. That's definitely a good thing. Obviously the other trait that make OBJ special his catch radius and ability to attack the ball - which Toney doesn't have. Nevertheless, when the ball is in his hands, he has comparable playmaking ability to OBJ.

Spot on. I don't think Toney had 1 contested catch at Florida. That isn't his forte. He gets open right now through sheer dynamic, physical ability. I can't wait until he gets coached up in route running. Everyone in the NFL is fast to an extent, but a few guys have that extra twitch in them. I think Toney is one of them.

Toney also has OBJ's trick play ability; he's probably a better thrower than Odell was.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:36 AM, minutemancl said:

This was an awesome, unexpected win. The way in which it happened was the most encouraging- a comeback win, on the road in the one of the most hostile environments, against a pretty good defense.

I'll be that guy- is Daniel Jones actually good? Not like 'on his way', but right now, just good?

It sure looks that way. We needed him to take a big step up this year and so far he's doing it. Maybe I was wrong about him.

• Like 1