Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I don't think he was a bad pick in terms of his playing ability, just that I don't agree with the logic of the GM selecting him where he did.

Agreed. You don’t build a team around a RB. You complement a team with a RB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

@ny92mike Regarding the FA signings and the draft this year. We don’t know how much Judge is involved in the decisions. If you want to gift the good moves to Judge, Gettleman needs credit for at least Bradberry. He did draft him.

Correct, something we'll never know because it isn't like anyone that does know is going to be talking about it.  Just an observation from what I've seen this year with the signing vs what Gettleman has done in the past.

I'll give him credit but I think he just got lucky that year, imo. 

The 2016 draft, Gettleman drafted several cornerbacks that year 2nd round James Bradberry, 3rd round traded up and drafted Daryl Worley (Raiders), 5th round drafted traded with CLE and selected Zack Sanchez who played one season.  Ended up with taking a cornerback with 3 of his 5 picks that year was spent on cornerbacks.  Kinda reminds me of his first year with our team where he drafted traded up in the first round to select Deandre Baker, then forfeited our 3rd for Sam Beal selecting Julian Love with the 4th round pick. 

Not really sure why Bradberry didn't get a longer deal with the G-men. A 3 year contract for whom I consider to be a top shelf corner, should of gotten a longer contract, imo.  I don't really understand why his contract also contains a "Potential Out" after his first season with the team.  Almost looks like Gettleman wasn't sure if it would work out or that it was Joe Judges decision to sign him and the contract had to be structured so that Gettleman could remove him after this first year if he didn't pan out. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/james-bradberry-19011/

Also find it odd that we don't have a single contract that exceeds year 2023.  In a way it's good for us heading into free agency next season, because we'll be able to back load the structure of contracts for the right players.  It's also something to consider for extending some contracts like L. Williams.

We've got 11 players under contract in 2023.

Sterling Shepard
Andrew Thomas
Graham Gano
Xavier McKinney
Matt Peart
Darnay Holmes
Shane Lemieux
Cam Brown
Carter Coughlin
T.J. Brunson
Tae Crowder

Nate Solder
James Bradberry
Blake Martinez
Sterling Shepard
Andrew Thomas
Daniel Jones
Golden Tate
Graham Gano
Dexter Lawrence
Riley Dixon
Nick Gates
David Mayo
Xavier McKinney
Sam Beal
Oshane Ximines
Matt Peart
Julian Love
Darnay Holmes
Darius Slayton
Shane Lemieux
Kaden Smith
Cam Brown
Carter Coughlin
T.J. Brunson
Tae Crowder
Jaquarius Landrews

36 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Not really sure why Bradberry didn't get a longer deal with the G-men. A 3 year contract for whom I consider to be a top shelf corner, should of gotten a longer contract, imo.  I don't really understand why his contract also contains a "Potential Out" after his first season with the team.  Almost looks like Gettleman wasn't sure if it would work out or that it was Joe Judges decision to sign him and the contract had to be structured so that Gettleman could remove him after this first year if he didn't pan out. 

Come on now, don’t paint Gettleman as the bad guy, and Judge as the hero without any proof. Martinez also has the potential out clause in 2022. Whats wrong with having potential contingency plans if something doesn’t work out.

Bradberry probably wanted another chance at a contract in his 30 year deal?

Finally use Overthecap, not Spotrac. They have been caught stealing information from OTC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Come on now, don’t paint Gettleman as the bad guy, and Judge as the hero without any proof. Martinez also has the potential out clause in 2022. Whats wrong with having potential contingency plans if something doesn’t work out.

Bradberry probably wanted another chance at a contract in his 30 year deal?

Finally use Overthecap, not Spotrac. They have been caught stealing information from OTC

I used spotrac because that's what I was currently working with for this mock draft I'm working on.  I typically use OTC as it's easier to pull data.

I'm not painting Gettleman as a bad guy, just a poor manager which doesn't require very much paint to achieve it...lol.  Simply not a fan of how he's managed the team thus far.

You can structure contracts a million different ways, but all I'm saying is that you don't normally see these types of "contingency plans" following year one of a contract.  These don't normally pop up until deeper into the contract.  Blake Martinez potential out isn't worked in until year 2 of his deal.  

I'm happy to give Gettleman credit for several of his signings, can't say I am a fan of how he added them but I give him credit for L. Williams and Jabrill Peppers.  His track record of free agent signings hasn't been good in previous seasons.  If this year was all him and Judge had no more of an impact than the previous head coaches then I'd say he's done a great job of adding players like Bradberry and Martinez to name a few, I just don't believe this guy did it without a heavy hand from Judge.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it’s worth. Our beat has been quieted on the front.

Tony Pauline is saying Gettleman is fired and replaced by Patriots Director of player personal, Nick Caserio. Caserio always comes up with any Patriots getting hired, most notably involved with Josh McDaniels rumors

I've never heard of Pauline either. If Schefter reports it then we've got something.

If we're going to replace Dave Gettleman, we most likely go with Caserio because Judge knows him and his contract with the Patriots is expiring. I don't have strong feelings about Gettleman one way or the other, but I will say he hasn't been much appreciated in his time. Picking up the pieces of the Jerry Reese era would have been a Herculean task for anybody, and it took him a few years to make real progress. He hasn't been the greatest drafter but our defense would be nowhere near as good without his FA signings of Bradberry, Fackrell and Martinez.

Yiadom is an exceptionally lifelike cardboard cutout. McKinney has done nothing since getting healthy. D-line and LB core have faded down the stretch. The offense is on life support.

Lots of stuff to improve on, but we have the potential to be good. A glimmer of hope after a few years in pitch darkness.