Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

FO is incompetent, so we won't make any moves that we should make today.

The only reason for not trading Engram is if you think another team will sign him for big money, and we can't make any big signings, so we will get a higher compensatory selection than we could get in a trade. That would be the only reason.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't see our team being in this game mentally whatsoever. The Gruden nightmare was one thing but Ruggs' arrest and release is another can of worms.

We got stomped vs. the Bears when we were distracted and I think it'll happen again vs. you boys.

You obviously haven't seen how we can throw away a game...haha.

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't see our team being in this game mentally whatsoever. The Gruden nightmare was one thing but Ruggs' arrest and release is another can of worms.

We got stomped vs. the Bears when we were distracted and I think it'll happen again vs. you boys.

I still have no idea how this team beat the Saints and Panthers...

So wouldn't surprise me if they pulled this one out...also wouldn't surprise me if they lost in a spectacularly inept manner.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 12:25 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Appreciate the vote of confidence. But we are innovators at finding ways to lose games. 

A few beat reporters mentioned Isaiah Wilson's progress getting in shape in their practice reports today and it leads me to kind of ask what the best case and worst case scenario is with this offensive line? I think the best case is Peart starts at RT the rest of the way and shows enough to compete for the starting job next season. Isaiah Wilson has a strong camp and win the RT spot. Peart becomes a quality swing tackle, which to me is his ceiling. We draft iOL with one of our 1st round picks and 2nd Rd pick. Gates and Lemieux come back and we go:

Starters: Thomas / Lemieux / Gates / 1st Rd Pick / Wilson

Backups: Peart / Price / 2nd Rd Pick

Worst case scenario would be Peart and Wilson both show they're definitely not the guy and Peart starts by default due to experience. Gates can't make it back and the value is not there in the 1st Rd to draft iOL. 2nd Rd Pick is a Day 1 starter because we can't afford any FAs and we go in with question marks at 4 of the 5 positions.

Starters: Thomas / Lemieux / Price / 2nd Rd Pick / Peart

Backups: Wilson / ? / ?

I'm a big proponent in going EDGE with the first of our 1st Rd Picks. I really think that brings our defense to the next level. That puts more need on some of these OL guys panning out. I know it's not what we want to hear because it's essentially what they were telling us this season so I'm not saying we should just rely on Wilson/Peart but being realistic, one of them becoming the guy will allow us to do the most.

We should take that Linderbaum kid in the first round and keep him at C. Let Nick Gates move over to a guard spot opposite Lemeiux or Skura, Thomas at LT, and Peart at RT. Obviously we would need competition at one of the guard spots and at RT, but that seems like a pretty solid OL.

Here's the golden rule regarding OL in today's NFL: you don't have to have studs at every position, but you do have to be solid at every position. I'd trade a superstar RT for 2 average linemen at other positions almost all of the time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, minutemancl said:

We should take that Linderbaum kid in the first round and keep him at C. Let Nick Gates move over to a guard spot opposite Lemeiux or Skura, Thomas at LT, and Peart at RT. Obviously we would need competition at one of the guard spots and at RT, but that seems like a pretty solid OL.

Here's the golden rule regarding OL in today's NFL: you don't have to have studs at every position, but you do have to be solid at every position. I'd trade a superstar RT for 2 average linemen at other positions almost all of the time.

Two average players? Yikes. Two good players, yes. A dominant force on the OL can completely change an offensive line. Average players are a dime a dozen, hence "average."

14 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

Two average players? Yikes. Two good players, yes. A dominant force on the OL can completely change an offensive line. Average players are a dime a dozen, hence "average."

Not along the line they aren't. There are multiple 'average' runningbacks available to sign off the street right now. There aren't even any average linemen on anyone's practice squad.

I also disagree with the 'dominant force' take. Joe Thomas was one of the best LTs of all time, but the rest of Cleveland's line stunk. They never accomplished anything. Houston sold the farm to bring in Laremy Tunsil, who is good, but the rest of their line stunk. Watson was still running for his life.

The main priority in building an OL should be not having a weak link, not necessarily acquiring one elite talent. I'm not saying I'd be jettisoning top tier OL talent if I had it, but I'd prioritize getting to the baseline at all 5 positions rather than being ok with 1 superstar alongside some real scrubs.