Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

After the Seahawks game I really wanted to make the playoffs. The Ravens have showed us we are not in any way shape or form a play off team. That 3rd pick would be nice to have, I would be happy for anything in the top 10. But with our luck we will beat the Cowboys the Eagles will beats the Washington team and we will be in the playoffs.

Yea after the Seahawk win the playoffs almost felt deserved if the team was able finish 8-8 or better. But to finish the season 6-10 including going 1-3 in your final 4 games... and make the playoffs only as a mere divisional structure formality is not deserved. I'd much rather have a top 5 pick. 

On 12/9/2020 at 9:09 AM, YogiBiz said:

Both of those guys are going to make a massive amount of money.

I wouldn't mind going after JC Jackson. Him and Bradberry would be a really good outside duo for a long time. I think we up extending Williams(13M-16M/Year), Tomlinson(8-10M), and Ryan(8M-11M). Trading Engram(saving around 6m), extending Bradberry by two years (Freeing up 4m this year), cutting Solder and Tate as June 1st cuts (saving roughly 17.5M) and Restructuring Shepard (Saving around 4-6M). All those moves would leave us around 24M to spend that's via Over the Cap, but I do not know how realistic all that is of happening. 

Thomas and Peart are looking like bookends at Tackle. Lemieux hasn't been great and that's being nice. The fact Hernandez hasn't taken his job back is slightly concerning, and he still can't move a body on running plays. Zeitler has been average not entirely worth the money, and Gates has been meh but playing a lot better recently. I don't think the O-line is done adding talent. I could def see us adding a guard or center on day 2 this year. 

I still can't reason why Kaden Smith can't get on the field for more receiving opportunities. 

I really like Terrace Marshall from LSU, I also really like Wyatt Davis at 19 if he even lasts that long. He's got All-Pro Guard written all over him. A dark horse guy I bet the Giants love is Zaven Collins. He can literally line up any where in the front 7 and be extremely effective. Really good in coverage, a good rusher,  really athletic, and he's pretty good against the run (should be better attacking downhill with his size, but he makes so many backside plays it's ridiculous). He oozes that versatility on D that Judge and Graham love. 

Maybe I'm just cynical, but the roster is bad.  I can't think of one player on a rookie contract that I'm comfortable saying is above average.  Saquon, maybe - but Gallman has looked like the better runner this year.  Slayton has looked lost.  Thomas is meh.  Peart is bad.  Lemieux is terribad.  Hernandez is bad.  I just do not think the roster has the talent to support bargain FA.  We need an infusion of quality talent because we have none.  Quality talent costs money.  Allen Robinson would be huge for Jones.  We've scored like 20 points in the last 4 games.  We stink on offense.  We can't move the ball.  Robinson is one of the best WR in the league with craptastic QB play.  Robinson would really help Jones mature as a passer and get some confidence.  Plus, Jones loves giving his WR a shot and Robinson wins those battles.  Corey Davis is good, but this has been his only real year of production which is concerning. 

Bud Dupree is an edge player teams have to worry about.  Having a guy that teams have to scheme for gives Graham ability to guys in creative ways. We literally have scrubs at edge.  Jackson could have gotten married in the pocket yesterday.  

William Jackson would also be a good pickup for CB2.

I do like Wyatt Davis, but I'm hoping we miss playoffs and have a higher pick.  Davis I'm not sure is Nelson quality of guard, but he is very, very good.  Parsons, Smith, Davis, or an Edge would be good picks in the first.  There doesn't seem to be a clear cut 'blue collar' edge this year, but it has been a weird year for scouting.  

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 1:02 AM, ny92mike said:

GM has to go...Once that happens we might actually start improving as a team.  Really hoping he's gone after this Dallas game.  

Seeing how Gettleman was allowed to resign Logan Ryan when that should have been left to the new GM to do makes me think the owners want to keep him on as GM. 

I think they only chance we have of getting rid of him is if the Cowboys blow us out on Sunday.

7 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Seeing how Gettleman was allowed to resign Logan Ryan when that should have been left to the new GM to do makes me think the owners want to keep him on as GM. 

I think they only chance we have of getting rid of him is if the Cowboys blow us out on Sunday.

One thing I'm really looking forward to, aside from the draft, is seeing how some of our guys rebound from the injuries they suffered last fall. All eyes will be on Saquon and the X-Men Xavier and Ximines, but I haven't forgotten our long shots: David Sills who went down with a broken ankle, and Cody Core who was sidelined with a torn achilles. I wish them better luck this year.

17 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

One thing I'm really looking forward to, aside from the draft, is seeing how some of our guys rebound from the injuries they suffered last fall. All eyes will be on Saquon and the X-Men Xavier and Ximines, but I haven't forgotten our long shots: David Sills who went down with a broken ankle, and Cody Core who was sidelined with a torn achilles. I wish them better luck this year.

Pending multiple big WR moves this offseason, I think Core makes the roster next year. He's a fantastic special teamer. You can put Shep and Slayton in pen as well. Dante Pettis should be in pencil. After that, it is a toss up. Tate is gone for sure. CJ Board can be replaced. Austin Mack had a nice rookie year, and he showed a ton as a blocker, but if/when we improve the WR room, he's more of a practice squad guy. 

High draft pick/big money FA, Shep, Slayton, Pettis, and Core is a pretty solid WR group. 

A friend who lurks on this thread asked me the following question yesterday: if Leonard Williams and Allen Robinson cost the same amount of money and you can only have one, which do you take? It's close but I think I'd go Allen Robinson. He's the type of WR we're missing. Taller, big-bodied receiver that can make the tough catch. He's consistently produced despite not having a good QB. That leaves us with the ability to go either EDGE or CB at 11. Thoughts?

28 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

A friend who lurks on this thread asked me the following question yesterday: if Leonard Williams and Allen Robinson cost the same amount of money and you can only have one, which do you take? It's close but I think I'd go Allen Robinson. He's the type of WR we're missing. Taller, big-bodied receiver that can make the tough catch. He's consistently produced despite not having a good QB. That leaves us with the ability to go either EDGE or CB at 11. Thoughts?

Probably Robinson, as WR is a bigger need than DE, although assuming we are able to re-sign Dalvin Tomlinson in this scenario. We do need to take into account that Williams played 800 snaps on defense, compared to both Tomlinson and Lawrence, who played 650. Thats a ton of production to replace. Is it better to keep what is working, than risk breaking it to fix something else?

I may have talked myself out of this, and Daniel Jeremiah mentioned this is another deep WR draft on the broadcast yesterday.

Still, I believe Robinson is a better WR, than Williams is a DE.

28 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

Probably Robinson, as WR is a bigger need than DE, although assuming we are able to re-sign Dalvin Tomlinson in this scenario. We do need to take into account that Williams played 800 snaps on defense, compared to both Tomlinson and Lawrence, who played 650. Thats a ton of production to replace. Is it better to keep what is working, than risk breaking it to fix something else?

I may have talked myself out of this, and Daniel Jeremiah mentioned this is another deep WR draft on the broadcast yesterday.

Still, I believe Robinson is a better WR, than Williams is a DE.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, y*so*blu said:

Yiadom is an exceptionally lifelike cardboard cutout. McKinney has done nothing since getting healthy. D-line and LB core have faded down the stretch. The offense is on life support.

Lots of stuff to improve on, but we have the potential to be good. A glimmer of hope after a few years in pitch darkness.

According to these guys McKinney had a very strong game against Dallas and they are willing to show anyone how.