Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

OLx2 or OL+Edge are the only two acceptable uses for those picks. Anything else and we storm Metlife!

I would have no problem going with an OT with our first picks and trading down our 2nd pick in the first round for a first round in the 2023 draft. 

I am not in love with Tyler Linderbaum with a top 10 pick. For me a pick that early should be on just about a perfect player. I am hearing Tyler Linderbaum is undersized. I don't need my top 10 pick being dominated by much bigger NT''s that he is going to face in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I would have no problem going with an OT with our first picks and trading down our 2nd pick in the first round for a first round in the 2023 draft. 

I am not in love with Tyler Linderbaum with a top 10 pick. For me a pick that early should be on just about a perfect player. I am hearing Tyler Linderbaum is undersized. I don't need my top 10 pick being dominated by much bigger NT''s that he is going to face in the NFL.

Linderbaum is the best C prospect in probably the last decade. He is a perfect player. He may be short, but he isn't undersized. He's even stronger than Wirfs was coming out of Iowa.

40 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-teams-lose-most-least-value-2022-nfl-free-agency

Interesting article. Giants had the second most offensive snaps from pending free agents, but had the absolute worst wins above replacement by pending free agents.So in theory...the more FA's we lose the better off we'll be. Another great indictment of DG's incompetence...

I was just about to post this. Speaks volumes about how awful this roster construction has been, especially on offense. Judge knows very little about how to run an NFL offense and Gettleman has failed miserably at assembling talent there. That is how you have the worst offense in the NFL over the last 2 years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Acgott said:

@minutemancl looks like Caldwell wants to get back in.

Yeah I read yesterday after my posts that he wants back in, but he wants a head coaching job. Again, I'd take him in a heartbeat. He's been successful literally everywhere he has gone, is a winning head coach, and can't keep a job because of his seemingly mild demeanor. I don't care about that; give me someone who wins.

Unfortunately, whether Mara ends up letting go of everyone or not, he has already dropped the ball to an extent. Letting Gettleman finish out the year means we have a late start on GM interviews, a late start on HC evaluation, and a late start on a potential HC search. We will not have our choice of candidates, which is a huge mistake.

13 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

He doesn't shy away from bad teams does he? If Mara wants him, now's the time to make a move.

Is this a dig at the Giants? Because if so, this is very much unfounded.

There are only 32 head coaching jobs in professional football in the world (ignore the much lesser leagues). Anyone who wants to be a head coach is not going to turn down a job because a team sucks. They will turn down a head coaching job for a few reasons though, including a meddling owner and a dysfunctional organization. For all the recent talk, the Giants are actually neither and are still viewed as a high class organization and an upper tier job. I don't think Mara is meddling, he just doesn't make good decisions on hiring because he is bad at the football aspect of his job and he is loyal to a fault (the loyalty is actually a good thing with prospective head coaches). The organization is also not dysfunctional, they've just had inept people running the football side for a while (Gettleman).

Mara is bad at a lot of things, but I think he really does want to win and he cares about the team and he is willing to spend money. He is just supremely loyal and has made bad decisions recently. Hiring Gettleman is the huge one. He needs to rectify that immediately, but he'll wait another week because he is too nice.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Unfortunately, whether Mara ends up letting go of everyone or not, he has already dropped the ball to an extent. Letting Gettleman finish out the year means we have a late start on GM interviews, a late start on HC evaluation, and a late start on a potential HC search. We will not have our choice of candidates, which is a huge mistake.

You are allowed to interview current coaches for Head Coaches, but not GMs. I believe no one has fired a GM yet, and only 2 HC have been fired. The Jaguars started interviewing, but the Raiders have not.

19 minutes ago, Acgott said:

You are allowed to interview current coaches for Head Coaches, but not GMs.

I know that, but if the decision is to let the new GM decide Judge's fate and he decides to move on from him, we will be way behind teams that are already interviewing head coaching candidates as that process to even get a decision on Judge will probably take weeks.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I know that, but if the decision is to let the new GM decide Judge's fate and he decides to move on from him, we will be way behind teams that are already interviewing head coaching candidates as that process to even get a decision on Judge will probably take weeks.

We would be behind in that scenario no matter if we fired Gettleman already or not. Mara could interview HCs now, but then the new GM wouldn’t be involved.

The last time the Giants scored 30 or more points and won was December 2019. Since then, they've only scored 30 or more points once, and it was in a loss to Dallas in October 2020. The most they've scored in a game this year was 29.

The Texans have put up 30 or more points 3 times this season, winning all 3 of those games.

Playing around with the PFF Mock Draft simulator. The vast majority of the time, I am ending up with Evan Neal at 5, Tyler Linderbaum at 8, and one of Jermaine Johnson, Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell, or Malik Willis at 36. I'd be ecstatic with that draft.

Just had a fun one though- Stingley fell to 5, and the Browns wanted him. I traded 5 and 146 for 13 and 45. At 8 I took Karlaftis, got Ekwonu at 13, Bernhard Raimann at 36, and Travon Walker at 45. 2 OL, 2 EDGE.