Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Looks like cuts have started 

The machete has been unsheathed.

To start us off, we get an obvious move. The other obvious ones are Shep being cut and Martinez being cut. The interesting decisions are going to be with Barkley, Bradberry, Slayton, Kaden Smith, and Julian Love. Barkley could be traded, Bradberry will most likely be traded, and Slayton, Smith, and Love are potential cuts. They are victims of good performance; with the new rookie pay rules, players who outplay their draft position get more money in the final year of their deal. That may work against them going into 2022.

32 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The machete has been unsheathed.

To start us off, we get an obvious move. The other obvious ones are Shep being cut and Martinez being cut. The interesting decisions are going to be with Barkley, Bradberry, Slayton, Kaden Smith, and Julian Love. Barkley could be traded, Bradberry will most likely be traded, and Slayton, Smith, and Love are potential cuts. They are victims of good performance; with the new rookie pay rules, players who outplay their draft position get more money in the final year of their deal. That may work against them going into 2022.

You mention Bradberry as a potential trade option. I looked up his contract info on spotrac.com and it looks like he has a pretty big salary in 2022 at $21.8 million. I am not sure what the cap charge transfer would be for the other team, but it looks like the Giants could save quite a bit of money by designating him as a post June cut designation. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, nicfre2011 said:

You mention Bradberry as a potential trade option. I looked up his contract info on spotrac.com and it looks like he has a pretty big salary in 2022 at $21.8 million. I am not sure what the cap charge transfer would be for the other team, but it looks like the Giants could save quite a bit of money by designating him as a post June cut designation. Thoughts?

I see a trade as the most appealing option, follow by a cut, then restructure.

For a trade, it saves the Giants the same amount as if they were to cut him- I believe it is something like $12 million in savings and $9 million in dead cap. The team acquiring him would be on the leash for just that $12 million this year, which is honestly a pretty good deal for a good CB. However, you'd probably see a team do what Philly did with Darius Slay a few years ago and extend Bradberry to lower the cap hit even more this year. The compensation should be somewhere between a high 3rd round pick and low third round pick. He's still a good player in his prime at a premium position.

If he is cut, I don't see them pushing that dead money into the future with a post June 1 cut. They'll cut him outright and take the full $9 million in dead money hit this year. Giants are looking to be seriously competitive in 2023, not this year.

A restructure, although unlikely, is on the table. It would definitely reduce his cap hit this year, but it does push massive money into the future, which Schoen wants to avoid. It all depends on how they view Bradberry. If he is a building block for them on defense, maybe he is ultimately restructured. Bottom line though, he isn't playing for the Giants this year on his current cap number. There's a 0% chance of that happening.

As much as we all like Shep, we need to take a more objective look at him and his performance and availability across his entire career. His recent performance and injury history makes his value close to 0. Whatever result gets us the littlest cap hit from him as possible is the one we need to take, whether that means he is on the roster or not. He's just not a valuable player anymore. It's a shame, because he's an awesome dude. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 8:21 AM, YogiBiz said:

Just saw a trade that TheDraftNetwork after both Neal & Ekwonu we’re both gone by 5 we moved down with Denver to 9 for 9+40 future 1st in 2023 and Dalton Risner. 

What's funny is that, after the Russell Wilson trade, this trade is potentially even more likely, but with Seattle instead of Denver. I have a feeling Seattle has their eye on Malik Willis, and they may want to jump Carolina to ensure they get him. I'd love to trade back again with another team looking for a QB for a future first.

8 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Dan Duggan called this one in his article late last week. Really nice under the radar signing. Gono was effective 2 years ago, so much so that the Falcons placed a 2nd round ERFA tender on him. He was injured last year then cut 2 months ago, so he was able to be signed before the official league new year. NJ guy too, and still very young.