Jump to content

Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Body type is a way overrated factor for WRs, IMO. It wouldn't concern me in the least, and I still think Smith is the best WR in the draft this year. But is he that much better than the 6 or 7 guys behind him? Honestly, no. And that's not a knock on Smith, rather it is a testament to how many good WRs there are coming out this year.

I generally agree.  But Smith has to be bottom 1% in the NFL among WRs in terms of Height / Weight ratio.  That type of outlier should be cause for concern.  There have been other receivers with similar body types like Ted Ginn Jr and Robbie Anderson, but I wouldn't consider either of those guys true #1 receivers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, Gmen said:

I generally agree.  But Smith has to be bottom 1% in the NFL among WRs in terms of Height / Weight ratio.  That type of outlier should be cause for concern.  There have been other receivers with similar body types like Ted Ginn Jr and Robbie Anderson, but I wouldn't consider either of those guys true #1 receivers. 

I would honestly rather spend on offense.  We NEED to find out if Jones is our guy next year.  Get some veterans to help him so he's not relying on a rookie to be his number 1.  draft D that way we add to a young defensive core

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gmen19851 said:

I would honestly rather spend on offense.  We NEED to find out if Jones is our guy next year.  Get some veterans to help him so he's not relying on a rookie to be his number 1.  draft D that way we add to a young defensive core

Have you seen rookie WRs recently? They are as NFL ready as they come, especially guys from high level programs like LSU and Alabama. Nowadays, in general, you don't have to be worried about the prospect of instant contribution from rookie WRs.

I think the only way to approach this offseason is by starting to go all in and giving yourself a window. Draft and sign guys that will supplement the core of the team you have in place now on both sides of the ball. We should be drafting and signing edge rushers and wide receivers. If you don't do that this year, it has to be next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

I would honestly rather spend on offense.  We NEED to find out if Jones is our guy next year.  Get some veterans to help him so he's not relying on a rookie to be his number 1.  draft D that way we add to a young defensive core

I agree. The Defense is at a championship level already. They need to go all in on offense. Give DJ all the tools and protection he needs. Either draft or sign him a #1 WR, SB comes back, build up the Oline some more, give him a TE that can actually secure the ball and we're instantly in contention for the division. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t get complacent on defense and think we have all the pieces. We’re lacking an edge rusher and #2 corner. Can’t expect defensive performances to carry over to following season. We can stand to improve in many spots. But we need an edge badly. Have only had one double digit sack guy since 2014 (Golden) and only 2 after 2011.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Can’t get complacent on defense and think we have all the pieces. We’re lacking an edge rusher and #2 corner. Can’t expect defensive performances to carry over to following season. We can stand to improve in many spots. But we need an edge badly. Have only had one double digit sack guy since 2014 (Golden) and only 2 after 2011.

12th in overall sacks
7th in QB pressures
10th in QB pressure %
6th in QB knockdowns
2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

Sure another edge rusher could help things, but they had quite a decent year without an edge specialist. Doesn't really matter if it comes from one guy or a combined effort. The defense is ready right now to win. The offense is the key to success next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shockwave said:

12th in overall sacks
7th in QB pressures
10th in QB pressure %
6th in QB knockdowns
2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

Sure another edge rusher could help things, but they had quite a decent year without an edge specialist. Doesn't really matter if it comes from one guy or a combined effort. The defense is ready right now to win. The offense is the key to success next season. 

Doesn’t matter. Doesn’t necessarily translate from year to year. You can keep relying on manufacturing pressure through blitzes or due coverage on back end. Not sustainable. It would make our DC job easier if we had at least one consistent rusher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shockwave said:

12th in overall sacks
7th in QB pressures
10th in QB pressure %
6th in QB knockdowns
2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

Sure another edge rusher could help things, but they had quite a decent year without an edge specialist. Doesn't really matter if it comes from one guy or a combined effort. The defense is ready right now to win. The offense is the key to success next season. 

I'm hesitant to agree with you; look at what happened in the Ravens and Browns games this year- 2 late season games against playoff teams hitting their strides. We got 0 pressure on either QB and they dominated the game. An edge is necessary for this defense right now. You can't win in January if you aren't able to put consistent pressure on QBs. We put up great pass rushing team totals because our coverage all year was outstanding, thanks to a talented secondary and a DC who knows how to cover up deficiencies and scheme around the guys he has. We had very few 'high quality' sacks.

A solid edge rusher and a true #2 corner turns this defense into a true contender. We are only 2 pieces away, but those pieces are necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shockwave said:

12th in overall sacks
7th in QB pressures
10th in QB pressure %
6th in QB knockdowns
2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

Sure another edge rusher could help things, but they had quite a decent year without an edge specialist. Doesn't really matter if it comes from one guy or a combined effort. The defense is ready right now to win. The offense is the key to success next season. 

The defense is not championship level already, Patrick Graham was doing near a miracle with smoke and mirrors. When the defense went against the, Cardinal, Browns and Ravens it was brought back down to reality. We only have one impact linebacker, we only have one impact cornerback and to me, Leonard Williams is a 1a when it comes to being a pass rusher not a true #1. What did he do against the Cardinals, Browns and Ravens. 

On offense I think all we need is a #1 Wideout and a RT to compete with Peart. If Engram remains a problems then Kaden needs to play a bigger role in the offense. 

We need a couple of more pieces on defense to be a true elite defense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Doesn’t matter. Doesn’t necessarily translate from year to year. You can keep relying on manufacturing pressure through blitzes or due coverage on back end. Not sustainable. It would make our DC job easier if we had at least one consistent rusher.

It would make the DC's job immensely easier if the offense wasn't going 3 and out forcing the defense to be on the field an inordinate amount of time. Giving away turnovers forcing the defense into short fields. Graham playcalled almost all the season either in a tight game, or playing from behind. Imagine the production he could get if he was playing with leads...

Edited by Shockwave
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shockwave said:

It would make the DC's job immensely easier if the offense wasn't going 3 and out forcing the defense to be on the field an inordinate amount of time. Giving away turnovers forcing the defense into short fields. Graham playcalled almost all the season either in a tight game, or playing from behind. Imagine the production he could get if he was playing with leads...

Do you not remember 2016? Defense was great and had to continuously pick up the offense’s slack. What happened the following season? Our defense declined. We’d be silly to think our defense is settled instead of building from it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now we have a defense that's mostly good against poor teams, but mostly poor against good teams. I like what we're building but there are plenty more pieces to add. I trust Judge and Gettleman to get us more talent on both sides of the ball.

Not hearing much news on Jason Garrett. Maybe Judge will hang on to him so DJ doesn't have to learn yet another new system.

Interesting film breakdown here on Devonta Smith. Think there's any chance of him falling to us in the draft?

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Right now we have a defense that's mostly good against poor teams, but mostly poor against good teams. I like what we're building but there are plenty more pieces to add. I trust Judge and Gettleman to get us more talent on both sides of the ball.

Not hearing much news on Jason Garrett. Maybe Judge will hang on to him so DJ doesn't have to learn yet another new system.

Interesting film breakdown here on Devonta Smith. Think there's any chance of him falling to us in the draft?

With him going to the Senior Bowl now, no. Smith is going to get taken at 3 by Miami, provided they don't trade for Watson. The Dolphins coaches are coaching in the Senior Bowl.

Doesn't really matter though, because there are maybe 10 WRs with WR1 potential in this draft. I think we can even get one in round 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...