Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

The latest Giants Life episode on Youtube is really good. Watch it if you haven't yet.

One thing that stood out was Schoen saying, after picking Thibs at 5, that 'we are still going to get 2 of our 6'. Pre-draft, he said 'if I can identify 7 players we like, I'm happy picking at 5 and 7'. Seems like he didn't get 7, but 6. We can make some educated guesses as to who those 6 are, and the interesting part is that since we got 2 of them at 5 and 7, that means at least 1 player picked in picks 1-4 was not on the list.

Confirmed: Neal, Thibodeaux (2/6)

Highly confident: Ikem Ekwonu. Schoen hinted after night 1 that he didn't take Ikem at 7 'because he wasn't there'. Everyone knew Carolina was going to take a tackle and Schoen reportedly liked Ickey and Neal equally, which is why we took Thibodeaux at 5. (3/6)

My guess for the rest of the top 6 are Hutchinson, Sauce, and Walker. I think Stingley is the odd man out. Schoen preached tough, smart, dependable, and Stingley was not dependable in college. His injury history is concerning.

21 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Even a mock i wrote for the guys at work i still had KT going 2nd overall. I still felt it was Hutch and KT as the top 2 edge guys in spite of the meteoric rise of Walker. Pretty interesting to look back on this. 

I think the Talkin Giants guys made note about the fact that if in the middle of last season, someone told you we'd walk away with Thibs and Neal we'd never take it seriously and here we are! And I'm so glad they stuck to grabbing a pass rusher at the top, as I mentioned in the linked post. In my non-quantified opinion, game changing pass rushers have as low a hit rate as game changing QBs. You have to take your swings early and I'm glad the Giants did

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Guys, I think our OL may actually be good this year.

Hold the door on that. Let’s try to at least be average first. It takes time for an OL to sync. We have new players at 3/5 positions,  another one coming off major injury.