Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

Looking through some OL stuff. Our most consistent starters at each OL position last year:

LT Andrew Thomas

LG Matt Skura

C Billy Price

RG Will Hernandez

RT Nate Solder

4/5 of those guys were free agents at the conclusion of last season (luckily. The only one we had under contract is the only good one). As of today, 3/5 remain unsigned and the other signed a 1 year deal that was only $100k more than the vet minimum. PFF showed this with their WAR lost rankings, but we'd have a better OL if we replaced those 4 guys with just replacement level players, because they were all worse than replacement level.

Evan Neal is better than replacement level. Mark Glowinski is better than replacement level. Jon Feliciano is about replacement level. If whoever wins that LG spot (I think it will be Lemeiux, but it could be Garcia or even Ezeudu) can play at replacement level, we have a baseline solid OL with strengths on the bookends. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 9:21 PM, ny92mike said:

Is it football season yet?...haha.

Hate this time of year.

Summer is my least favorite season. It's too damn hot and there's no football to watch. (None that matters anyway.) In the news:

* Daniel Bellinger will attend Kittle and Kelce's "Tight End U."

* Daboll sounds happy with our UDFA punter, Jamie Gillian (the Scottish Hammer).

* The Giants had full attendance during 3-day minicamp as well as voluntary OTAs--with the exception of Toney, who eventually got with the program.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, y*so*blu said:

Summer is my least favorite season. It's too damn hot and there's no football to watch. (None that matters anyway.) In the news:

* Daniel Bellinger will attend Kittle and Kelce's "Tight End U."

* Daboll sounds happy with our UDFA punter, Jamie Gillian (the Scottish Hammer).

* The Giants had full attendance during 3-day minicamp as well as voluntary OTAs--with the exception of Toney, who eventually got with the program.

Daniel Bellinger has to prove he's actually good but the fact that he's getting 1st team reps already is huge. I really think he's the kind of TE we need: never a focal point of a game plan but providing good blocking and timely catches to move the chains. 40ish catches on the year, a few TDs.. that's really the most we need out of him as long as he's helping move guys in the run game, not running wrong routes and not dropping a pass up into the air for the defender to intercept. 

• Like 2

Darius Slayton dropped an alarming 22.2% of on-target passes thrown to him last year (according to Zack Rosenblatt) and it sounds like he's not doing any better in training camp.

Giants roster breakdown: Bubble players, long shots and locks | Why Darius Slayton, Ricky Seals-Jones should be worried - nj.com

WR Darius Slayton: It feels like Slayton is headed toward getting cut or traded. He had a rough spring, relegated to backup duty even with so many receivers injured — and he had a bad case of the drops too. Cutting/trading him saves $2.5 million too.

Frankly I wouldn't hesitate to trade him, Golladay, and a few other goodies to Seattle for D.K. Metcalf. 

• 2 months later...

Notes from the second preseason game:

* Daniel Jones and Davis Webb both looked very good. Taylor looked just okay.

* Thibs was down holding his knee on a dirty tackle; he waved off the cart and walked to the tent. Hope it's just a sprain or something.

* Graham Gano was evaluated for a concussion after attempting a tackle. Bad 1st half overall for special teams.

* Kenny Golladay supposedly played but was once again the Incredible Disappearing Man. Collin Johnson, Alex Bachmann, and David Sills were the heroes tonight.

* Again, plenty of aggression and hustle on defense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Notes from the second preseason game:

* Daniel Jones and Davis Webb both looked very good. Taylor looked just okay.

* Thibs was down holding his knee on a dirty tackle; he waved off the cart and walked to the tent. Hope it's just a sprain or something.

* Graham Gano was evaluated for a concussion after attempting a tackle. Bad 1st half overall for special teams.

* Kenny Golladay supposedly played but was once again the Incredible Disappearing Man. Collin Johnson, Alex Bachmann, and David Sills were the heroes tonight.

* Again, plenty of aggression and hustle on defense.

He was so bad he wasn't even targeted one time. Johnson, Bachman and Sills are all gonna make this team. They are at least special teamers no doubt. Bachman had the game of his life last night. Another guy who has really shown ability that i like is Antonio Williams. He just seems to find a way to get out of the backfield and get open and has done solid work as a RB. 

• Like 1

^ Not sure how all 3 can make the final roster? Golladay, Shep, Toney, Robinson, Slayton all pretty much locks I would think. I could see maybe carrying 7 WR's. But I think those 3 are all going to compete for the final spot. Pulling for Bachman. Something about his movement and frame just seems perfect. Sills is taller but I felt like Bachman is more slippery.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting that New York Giants edge defender Kayvon Thibodeaux suffered a sprained MCL against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Schefter adds that Thibodeaux’s ACL and meniscus are intact and that the Giants are anticipating a 3-4 week recovery timeframe. The team is still hopeful that he will be ready to play against the Tennessee Titans on Sept. 11.

That's a relief. I didn't like the pick but it felt like a gut punch when he went down. 

Collin Johnson may be a diamond in the rough. He's not very quick but when you're 6'6" you don't have to be.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the game-ending play on defense by UDFA Tomon Fox. Perfectly executed. Hats off to Martindale for scheming it.

Edited by y*so*blu

To me it looks like even this bland preseason offense the Giants are running as far more advanced than what Jason Garrett had us using in the regular season. There will be some growing pains of course but I have great confidence I am going to enjoy watching our offense for the first time in a while.

The defense worries me a lot. I am seeing our starters doing a little better than okay  against the backup of the Patriots and Bengals, they need to be dominating the backups. At this point Aaron Robinson worries me the most. We need to cut Darius Slayton and use that 2.5 million to get us the best CB out there that we can get.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

At this point Aaron Robinson worries me the most. We need to cut Darius Slayton and use that 2.5 million to get us the best CB out there that we can get.

I'm with you. Plus, isn't Robinson primarily a slot corner anyway? He's lost out there playing the boundary and it shows.

None of the veteran corners available are going to be very good but I'd rather go with one of them than scheme around Robinson, because it's only a matter of time before he's exposed in a meaningful game.