Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Anyone else starting to get the feeling that Dabes wants Saquon back and we are going to sign him to a longer-term deal? I think Schoen is smart enough to know not to give a RB a big contract, but I think the mutual interest is there if they can get the money to work.

Of course,what coach doesn’t want his best players back. If Saquon has a great season, injury free, I imagine he gets signed to a 3 year deal. If he has another nagging injury, probably franchise tag. Major injury and he’s good. There’s still a long season to decide.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Anyone else starting to get the feeling that Dabes wants Saquon back and we are going to sign him to a longer-term deal? I think Schoen is smart enough to know not to give a RB a big contract, but I think the mutual interest is there if they can get the money to work.

I think it is way too early to determine that and a lot would depend on Daniel Jones. If Daniel Jones takes it to another level and proves he is the QB of the future, they probably can't afford to pay DJ and Saquon. However if DJ can't take it another and they let him go, we should have plenty of cap space and be able to resign him. 

Also, let's ride this early winning as high as we can. We all know deep down this isn't a good team, and this winning won't last this season. We are, at best, around a .500 team. 2-0 is awesome and shows we are moving in the right direction, but let's make sure we don't get too hype and forget how lacking in talent this team actually is.

33 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Of course,what coach doesn’t want his best players back. If Saquon has a great season, injury free, I imagine he gets signed to a 3 year deal. If he has another nagging injury, probably franchise tag. Major injury and he’s good. There’s still a long season to decide.

I just assumed, prior to the start of this season, that he was done and would not be back. Now I'm changing my tune a bit and think it is a possibility.

28 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I think it is way too early to determine that and a lot would depend on Daniel Jones. If Daniel Jones takes it to another level and proves he is the QB of the future, they probably can't afford to pay DJ and Saquon. However if DJ can't take it another and they let him go, we should have plenty of cap space and be able to resign him. 

The QB franchise tag is going to be around $32 million next year. DJ hasn't shown he is worth half of that. What could he possibly do, within the realm of possibility based on what he has shown so far this year, to be worth that tag at the end of the year? He's gone, no doubt about it.

26 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The QB franchise tag is going to be around $32 million next year. DJ hasn't shown he is worth half of that. What could he possibly do, within the realm of possibility based on what he has shown so far this year, to be worth that tag at the end of the year? He's gone, no doubt about it.

I said, if he takes things to the next level. Has he so far no, but he is still learning a new offense the offense line is still gelling so I am not going to completely rule it out from happening like most here have. Lets say he does play better, we stay lucky and continue to win games, make the playoffs as a wildcard and even advance a round though DJ's arm and legs. I think then it would not be automatic for organization to move on from DJ. 

5 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I said, if he takes things to the next level. Has he so far no, but he is still learning a new offense the offense line is still gelling so I am not going to completely rule it out from happening like most here have. Lets say he does play better, we stay lucky and continue to win games, make the playoffs as a wildcard and even advance a round though DJ's arm and legs. I think then it would not be automatic for organization to move on from DJ. 

If DJ improves, we make the playoffs, and DJ leads us to a win in the first round, then yes, maybe we keep him. I see 0% of that happening though.

I think there's a decent chance DJ is back on the franchise tag IF he has a good year. If they're on the upswing, the consistency will be valuable. $32MM for one year is a lot more palatable than a multi-year deal, especially if we have the cap space to take it on. Now, if Lamar shakes free, obviously pay him instead of DJ :)

As for Saquon, I've been pushing for the new contract setup for top RBs is a 3 year fully guaranteed deal for the value that would have been guaranteed over a 5 year deal. It's essentially the same as front-loading but the team is not on the hook at all past 3 years. 

2 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

I think there's a decent chance DJ is back on the franchise tag IF he has a good year. If they're on the upswing, the consistency will be valuable. $32MM for one year is a lot more palatable than a multi-year deal, especially if we have the cap space to take it on. Now, if Lamar shakes free, obviously pay him instead of DJ :)

As for Saquon, I've been pushing for the new contract setup for top RBs is a 3 year fully guaranteed deal for the value that would have been guaranteed over a 5 year deal. It's essentially the same as front-loading but the team is not on the hook at all past 3 years. 

I feel like there's no chance the Giants tag DJ. 32m is an insane amount. I believe that is why they signed Tyrod to a 2-year deal. If DJ shows enough to be the guy, then they will make him a proper offer. If not, they let him walk and use TT as a stop-gap for a year if needed.

• Like 1

I'd still like to see Daniel Jones on the roster next season.  While the team has done more for him there is more than could be done.  Offensive line is still struggling to protect him and the receiver situation still needs work.  Toney nor Kenny Golladay are doing much to help him out.

I see the potential and the amount of time he puts in I just hate the idea of throwing it away only to bring in a rookie.

I don't think it would take a large contract to retain him for another year or two after this season and we'll have the cap to afford it.

Just hate that he was never given a chance under the previous GM to succeed.  

I'm not expecting a lot this year, the record at the end of the season will be what it is.  What I'm watching is how these players step up their game.  Figure out who we need to retain and who we need to cut.  

This is just the beginning of how to rebuild a roster the right way in my opinion.  Next season we'll have the cap to make a bigger splash in FA.

I'm just thrilled that we no longer need to concern ourselves with the previous GM and his rediculous decisions.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I'd still like to see Daniel Jones on the roster next season.  While the team has done more for him there is more than could be done.  Offensive line is still struggling to protect him and the receiver situation still needs work.  Toney nor Kenny Golladay are doing much to help him out.

I see the potential and the amount of time he puts in I just hate the idea of throwing it away only to bring in a rookie.

I don't think it would take a large contract to retain him for another year or two after this season and we'll have the cap to afford it.

Just hate that he was never given a chance under the previous GM to succeed.  

It’s just doesn’t make sense. We are already paying Tyrod $7M next year. Jones hasn’t shown enough to be worth a big contract. If we can get him on an extended rookie contract, then sure, but why would we would he want that. There is a lot of season left, but moving on from Jones is best for both parties.