Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

It’s just doesn’t make sense. We are already paying Tyrod $7M next year. Jones hasn’t shown enough to be worth a big contract. If we can get him on an extended rookie contract, then sure, but why would we would he want that. There is a lot of season left, but moving on from Jones is best for both parties.

If it were I, I'd cut Tyrod, sorry just not a fan. 

I don't think it would take a big contract to retain him is my point.  Sure if it cost a franchise tag or that kind of big money then I agree but I don't see him getting a monster deal from another team and if given the chance to start with the Giants vs a back up role with another team.  I'd stick with the Giants.

We improve the line and get some better talent at receiver would improve his game in my opinion.  I'd rather have Jones battling it out with a rookie QB than just tossing a rookie to the wolves and like I mentioned I'm not a fan of Tyrod and have a soft spot for Jones, mainly because he hasn't been given a fair shake with this previous GM.

What would be your ideal situation at quarterback next season?  

Just now, ny92mike said:

If it were I, I'd cut Tyrod, sorry just not a fan. 

I don't think it would take a big contract to retain him is my point.  Sure if it cost a franchise tag or that kind of big money then I agree but I don't see him getting a monster deal from another team and if given the chance to start with the Giants vs a back up role with another team.  I'd stick with the Giants.

We improve the line and get some better talent at receiver would improve his game in my opinion.  I'd rather have Jones battling it out with a rookie QB than just tossing a rookie to the wolves and like I mentioned I'm not a fan of Tyrod and have a soft spot for Jones, mainly because he hasn't been given a fair shake with this previous GM.

What would be your ideal situation at quarterback next season?  

Me either, but cutting him would cost $5.5M in dead money for $1.3M in cap savings. He will have the 25th biggest cap hit for a QB, but that will drop a few notches with players getting new contracts.

This is his 4th season, hasn’t played a full season. He’s on his 3rd coaching staff. Everything has gone wrong for him. If he accepts less than his current $8M, great, if not we move in.

More and more rookies are coming out and playing good from the start. We can draft a new one in the 1st or 2nd round and get the same level of play for cheaper. Have Taylor start the first month if you need to

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Me either, but cutting him would cost $5.5M in dead money for $1.3M in cap savings. He will have the 25th biggest cap hit for a QB, but that will drop a few notches with players getting new contracts.

You're talking about Tyrod's contract correct?  In terms of dead money, that isn't much money.  Not that I'm a fan of creating dead money, but it wouldn't hurt our cap.

This is his 4th season, hasn’t played a full season. He’s on his 3rd coaching staff. Everything has gone wrong for him. If he accepts less than his current $8M, great, if not we move in.

Certainly ways to structure contracts with incentives.  Just hate the idea of seeing him walk away without giving him more to work with.  

More and more rookies are coming out and playing good from the start. We can draft a new one in the 1st or 2nd round and get the same level of play for cheaper. Have Taylor start the first month if you need to

True and not opposed to drafting one in the first or early 2nd but expecting the same level of play or better isn't guaranteed.  Give the rookie and Jones a chance to battle it out is what I'd prefer.  

Honestly, you're probably right in thinking this is his last year with the team.  I just hate DG with how he handled not just Jones' career but everything he did to the team that it would have been nice if we could salvage at least one of his mess ups.  Even if it was just a back up role with the team would please me, the man works extremely hard to improve.  Gives it his all on the field every game.  

Guess I'm just not done holding out hope with his nfl career.

11 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

You're talking about Tyrod's contract correct?  In terms of dead money, that isn't much money.  Not that I'm a fan of creating dead money, but it wouldn't hurt our cap.

Yes, but it’s money we don’t need to waste when we don’t have a lot. It’s fine for a decent backup with experience.

Jones has been mediocre at best, we have been the worst team with him, it’s just not worth it to continue to go through the motions to try and save him.

• Like 2

Just now, Acgott said:

Yes, but it’s money we don’t need to waste when we don’t have a lot. It’s fine for a decent backup with experience.

Jones has been mediocre at best, we have been the worst team with him, it’s just not worth it to continue to go through the motions to try and save him.

We have good cap going into next year.  The tyrod cap doesn't concern me.  More concerned with Kenny's mega deal.

You're really blaming him for us being a horrible team?  That title belongs to Dave G. 

4 hours ago, ny92mike said:

All I'm saying is that I'd rather have Jones behind center than Tyrod even if it cost a few million to make it happen.

If the front office can work it out I'd be fine with it.  

That's fair. As much as I love DJ as a person and want him to be the guy, he simply hasn't proven to be more capable than Tyrod up to this point. Again, I hope DJ continues to grow and steps up big time over the next couple of months. But if he doesn't, letting Tyrod bridge the gap would not be a downgrade if Jones fails to improve from where he is now. 

11 hours ago, Acgott said:

Pass offense still a major issue

This team still needs a lot. The coaching masked a ton of issues in the first 2 weeks, and even in week 3, but you can't completely hide a bad interior OL, no receiving weapons, and a bad QB. 

And people thought I was crazy for wanting a wide receiver early last year. We should take one early again next year too, or trade for one. We have nothing there. 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

This team still needs a lot. The coaching masked a ton of issues in the first 2 weeks, and even in week 3, but you can't completely hide a bad interior OL, no receiving weapons, and a bad QB. 

And people thought I was crazy for wanting a wide receiver early last year. We should take one early again next year too, or trade for one. We have nothing there. 

We need more talent out there for sure. However, if DJ was getting the time Cooper Rush was getting there would be a lot more throws down the field. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not a huge fan of DJ as a player. But he showed a lot of grit on Monday. The o-line was getting abused, receivers struggled to get open, and then they were dropping great passes. The guy ended up rushing for close to 100 yards because he had no other option but to get first downs himself. The only current QBs I could imagine maybe doing better under those circumstances are Lamar and Allen. I think any other QB in the league right now would've done worse under those exact circumstances.

This offense is currently underperforming in at least 6/11 positions. That's not going to cut it. This team desperately needs more talent on offense. Hopefully Evan Neal can develop and Toney can stay healthy. They need those 1st rounders to start panning out more often than not.

Edited by w4rrior723