Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

On a different note.  

Our defense really impressed last week.  Still hoping that Kayvon turns the corner.

Team prevented the Pack from scoring in the second half.

Give this team another year or two to finalize the rebuild and look out!

Cap prevented the team from doing as much as needed this past offseason.  This next offseason they'll have the cap to make a splash in free agency.

Oh and glad to see Jaylon Smith back on our roster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

I have no problem signing OBJ in November for a 1 year deal. He should be cheap since it’s only half a season, but no way I’ll give him a multi year contract coming off an ACL tear.

We probably won’t find out about our injured receivers until we practice again on Wednesday. Robinson was close I believe. 

Exactly this. Only willing to sign Odell if it's for the rest of the season. It gives us a better chance to win without giving up anything toward the future. I saw a tweet that DJ Moore's 2022 cap hit is actually low enough where we could swing it but even still, we need the draft capital. Can't change the plan because we've won a few games.

47 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I still don't think he's the guy even with his improved play. He's still not living up to his draft position, is still far below average production for NFL starting QB's but he has improved in some areas. Especially in the turnover department. The 2019 season which was impressive for a rookie still stands as his best statistical season, in the context of the league it's about average production. I'd only resign him if a super team friendly deal but I'd also still draft another QB. I just don't think Jones has what it takes to take this team to the next level. At some point all the elite coaching in the world won't be able to overcome below average QB production.

Agree with this. He's very clearly not the guy as it relates to being a franchise QB. However, when you look at who might be under center next year, he's probably the best option that's realistic. You can make the argument to draft a QB and start him no matter what but at this point, we have no idea where we're drafting right now. You can have the pipedream of prying Lamar Jackson away from Baltimore but I'm not holding my breath there. 

So in "Year 2" of the rebuild, do I want Jones out there, Tyrod or some other journeyman QB? I'll take Jones but I'm not giving him a long-term deal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

Exactly this. Only willing to sign Odell if it's for the rest of the season. It gives us a better chance to win without giving up anything toward the future. I saw a tweet that DJ Moore's 2022 cap hit is actually low enough where we could swing it but even still, we need the draft capital. Can't change the plan because we've won a few games.

Moore makes $6M this year, but it balloons to over $20M next year. It’s not worth it.

25 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Moore makes $6M this year, but it balloons to over $20M next year. It’s not worth it.

Agreed.  We've got to figure out how to unload that massive contract that kenny is receiving.

14.7 million in dead money with a 6.7 in cap savings.

Jesus Dave isn't even the GM any longer and is still hurting this team next season.

50 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Agreed.  We've got to figure out how to unload that massive contract that kenny is receiving.

14.7 million in dead money with a 6.7 in cap savings.

Jesus Dave isn't even the GM any longer and is still hurting this team next season.

Yeah, unlikely we be able to do anything. We’ll cut him next year for the $7M

This is the best I've felt about the Giants since becoming a fan (in the dark days of 2019/2020). 😆

I expected some improvement over last season but nothing like this. He has the team fighting and believing they can win any game. A lot of stuff Joe Judge just talked about--team pride, winning culture, mental toughness--Brian Daboll is actually delivering on.

I have no idea what the rest of the season will bring, but I finally have confidence in the team's leadership, and that makes all the difference.

• Like 2

It's amazing to think what one year removed from Dave Gettleman and company has done for this franchise.  This time last year, we were 1 - 5 without any hope insight of getting better.  I'm still in shock that it took the team as long as it did to move on from him.

200.gif

We now have a front office that is respected again.  I can't tell you how much that will help this upcoming off season.  We will no longer have the need to overspend on average players just to fill our roster.  Players are going to want to play for this franchise again.  Burnt bridges of the past are already being rebuilt.

We've got a coaching staff that has our players playing above their talent level.  They believe in the system and it shows.  No longer laying down, this group of men are fighting until the very end.

So proud to be a Giants fan right now.  I'm actually wearing my gear again in public...haha.

Our remaining schedule boys!

7 Sun October 23 preview     @ Jacksonville Jaguars                                                        
8 Sun October 30 preview     @ Seattle Seahawks                                                        
10 Sun November 13 preview       Houston Texans                                                        
11 Sun November 20 preview       Detroit Lions                                                        
12 Thu November 24 preview     @ Dallas Cowboys                                                        
13 Sun December 4 preview       Washington Commanders                                                        
14 Sun December 11 preview       Philadelphia Eagles                                                        
15 Sun December 18 preview     @ Washington Commanders                                                        
16 Sat December 24 preview     @ Minnesota Vikings                                                        
17 Sun January 1 preview       Indianapolis Colts                                                        
18 Sun January 8 preview     @ Philadelphia Eagles

Anyone feel like taking a guess at what our record might be come end of regular season?

Do we actually make the playoffs?

Our off season free agents.

Player Pos. 2022 Team 2023 Team Type Snaps Age Current APY Guarantees
Saquon Barkley RB Giants   UFA 85.1% 26 $7,798,688 $31,194,750
Daniel Jones QB Giants   UFA 97.0% 26 $6,416,014 $25,664,056
Nick Gates C Giants   UFA 0.0% 28 $3,412,500 $3,175,000
Jon Feliciano LG Giants   UFA 99.0% 31 $3,250,000 $2,400,000
Sterling Shepard WR Giants   Void 41.7% 30 $3,000,000 $2,000,000
Justin Ellis IDL Giants   UFA 0.0% 33 $1,272,500 $337,500
Casey Kreiter LS Giants   UFA 32.0% 33 $1,187,500 $352,500
Jihad Ward EDGE Giants   UFA 70.6% 29 $1,187,500 $337,500
Matt Breida RB Giants   UFA 18.9% 28 $1,187,500 $277,500
Tony Jefferson S Giants   UFA 9.7% 31 $1,120,000 $0
Nicholas Williams IDL Giants   UFA 53.9% 33 $1,120,000 $0
Richie James WR Giants   UFA 51.0% 28 $1,065,000 $100,000
Jamie Gillan P Giants   UFA 32.5% 26 $1,065,000 $100,000
Tanner Hudson TE Giants   RFA 31.8% 29 $1,035,000 $0
Jaylon Smith LB Giants   UFA 28.0% 28 $1,035,000 $0
Austin Calitro LB Giants   UFA 16.7% 29 $1,035,000 $0
Fabian Moreau CB Giants   UFA 58.2% 29 $1,035,000 $0
Darius Slayton WR Giants   UFA 34.1% 26 $965,000 $0
Justin Layne CB Giants   UFA 3.0% 25 $920,795 $922,180
Chris Myarick TE Giants   ERFA 38.6% 28 $895,000 $0
Oshane Ximines EDGE Giants   UFA 50.9% 27 $885,695 $836,780
David Sills WR Giants   RFA 59.3% 27 $825,000 $0
Julian Love S Giants   UFA 88.4% 25 $822,715 $770,860
Jack Anderson RG Giants   ERFA 0.0% 25 $757,500 $30,000
Devery Hamilton RT Giants   ERFA 6.8% 25 $711,500 $6,500

Do we find a way to keep Barkley?

Does the Giants extend Daniel Jones contract?

Is Julian Love playing for someone else next year? 

Any players on this list we can't do without? 

Our projected Team Cap Space: $61,646,979

Can't wait to see where we spend all that money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Anyone feel like taking a guess at what our record might be come end of regular season?

Do we actually make the playoffs?

As hard as it is to believe, I am going to say 11 wins. I think we go 3-1 over the next 4 games, when ever we are a decent team we can always count on getting two wins against the Commanders. I think the Eagles will have homefield wrapped up and will rest their players against us for the last game of the season. 

11 wins should get us into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Any players on this list we can't do without? 

Saquon is a very hard call, RB is the easiest position  to replace and Saquon is easily a top 3 back maybe the best, there is no way his agent and the NFLPA will allow him to give us discount. Going by player base value position we should let him go and get a 3rd pick comp pick in the 2024 draft. However the smart move is not always the best move.

Daniel Jones love him or hate him he is improving every game and he is only going to get better do to an offensive line improving, getting his top wideouts back and healthy and adjusting to the new offensive system. It is clear me the  Giants coaching staff has still not fully open up the playbook yet, when they feel DJ is ready, this offensive is going reach another level. DJ is making a very good case for us to franchise him or give him a two year extension if he continues to improve.

Edited by Go_Giants

9 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

As hard as it is to believe, I am going to say 11 wins. I think we go 3-1 over the next 4 games, when ever we are a decent team we can always count on getting two wins against the Commanders. I think the Eagles will have homefield wrapped up and will rest their players against us for the last game of the season. 

11 wins should get us into the playoffs.

It's crazy to think but the way this team is playing it could very easily happen when reviewing our remaining schedule.  

I pegged us with at most 7 wins at the start of the season.  There were so many unanswered questions early in the season, like would Barkley bounce back, how would the team react to the new staff, could the offensive line be improved and many more.  At 5-1 I think we've gotten those answers.

Saquon is a very hard call, RB is the easiest position  to replace and Saquon is easily a top 3 back maybe the best, there is no way his agent and the NFLPA will allow him to give us discount. Going by player base value position we should let him go and get a 3rd pick comp pick in the 2024 draft. However the smart move is not always the best move.

Agree.  I wasn't a fan when they drafted him as high as they did.  The success he's having this year he's going to demand to be the highest paid running back in the league.  Dallas gave Zeke a 90 million dollar deal and while a solid player he isn't putting up the numbers.

Daniel Jones love him or hate him he is improving every game and he is only going to get better do to an offensive line improving, getting his top wideouts back and healthy and adjusting to the new offensive system. It is clear me the  Giants coaching staff has still not fully open up the playbook yet, when they feel DJ is ready, this offensive is going reach another level. DJ is making a very good case for us to franchise him or give him a two year extension if he continues to improve.

I don't love him but certainly don't hate him.  He's taken a step in the right direction with this new staff and like you I could easily see him getting better next season after a full off season to improve the line and to get him better targets to throw to.  I also don't believe he is going to demand a massive contract.  There is also a limited amount of potential replacements should we move on from him.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if a new deal isn't worked out by the end of the season.

Appreciate the post.