What is the thought process of you Season Tankers for this year? I'm truly dumbfounded...

aceinthehouse

Last year was obvious...I could understand that. Jay Gruden was on his way out. Bruce Allen was on his way out, plus whole new coaching staff coming in.

We wanted & needed the highest draft pick possible. I get it...

But this 2020 season, I don't get.

It's Rivera's 1st season as our coach.

Don't you want him to be successful?

Don't you want our young players already here, to have sustained success under this new regime? Like Scary Terry, Chase Young, Montez Sweat, etc,?

If you suck every year, eventually players want to change their future by going elsewhere. Who would want to stay & remain in sucktitude?

Some, or many of you want us to tank for QB Trevor Lawrence. I get it...he's a stud. He's the next generational QB you don't pass up on.

But isn't he just a Junior? What if he goes back to school for his Senior Year? All that tanking for squat. Oh..that's right! There's still Trey Lance, Fields, this guy, that guy.

When does the tanking stop & the winning begin for you guys?

How do you KNOW for certain, that any of these QB's are worth a damn.

Sorry...

The culture doesn't change by tanking every season & hoping for the next stud player in the top 3 pick of the draft.

The culture changes with building a winning formula, good coaching & consistency.

Don't you guys get it?

You don't win, by picking top 5 every year.

You win by getting a QB you can win with & getting the right pieces around him to succeed. 

You win by getting your players to buy in, in how you want to do that.

That is true culture change & we finally have that now, although it's in the early stages.

If we suck & go 4-12?

All that does is make it harder to obtain FA players next off-season (see Amari Cooper for example), even with a plethra of cap room. Then wonder if they're only here for a payday, if they do sign. See our history)

Then lots of us fans wonder if Rivera is the right coach. I'm sure some of the players would wonder that themselves.

We finally have a coach who makes players have accountibility, but loved by them at the same time. They respect him!

Now I understand, that we may have to get a QB. Kyle Allen may just be backup material. 

But it doesn't have to be Trevor Lawrence. It could be any possible QB in next year's draft, which is very deep at QB.

There's also looking at a veteran next year in free agency.

There's many different ways we can look, to address the QB situation & other positions as well. 

We can worry about that, when we get to it.

But why not pull for this team to win the Division, or win as many games possible?

To say to ourselves...look what Rivera did his 1st year here?

We can build off this, etc.

We have a good draft & scouting department. They will get the right guy whether we're picking #2 or #20.

Let's try to win this Division & see what the Washington Football Team can do, with such a young roster & in its infancy stages of rebuilding.

It won't be easy, but I like the fight in this team.

I want to see them win & spank the other NFL teams, the way they did the Cowboys last night.

Let's catch the nation by storm. 

I mean it’s a smart tactic to acquire the best talent for a few years and then hope that the staff can coach them up and buy in and you have the most talented roster possible. But I think that really sets you up for real failure come year two or three of the QB’s second contract. I just believe this sport is so much year to year that you just have the best chance for long term sucsess fighting every week and eventually the right guy will fall to you. Yes your more likely to have a top 5 pick pan out then a lower. I just think what gets me is it’s not like that’s what most think we should do it’s just like if we don’t do it that way we’re destin to not be great.

I don’t believe we ranked for Chase we couldn’t execute all 3 phases of a game for a half of a game most of the last season and a half and Chase was a prize. While we aren’t there we are young and honestly with the youth nobody here can say what the current rosters ceiling is. Trust me these guys have a lot of knowledge and the idea is completely logical and smart but I’ve seen it fail a lot more then I can ever remember it paying of in recent memory.

• Like 1

Because we’ve tried the patchwork crap for years. It doesn’t work and we’ve been lacking one thing for 35 years, a franchise QB. You can’t keep picking up scrap heap QBs and expecting to turn things around. Yes, I’d love to tank for Lawrence or draft Fields because winning a couple games in a throw away season means nothing to me. I want Super Bowls. That’s not remotely attainable without a franchise QB. Kyle Allen is going to play us out of position for one and that irritates me. 

• Like 3

I kind of agree.  I think everyone here agrees that the biggest need we have is to build a winning culture.  You don't do that by losing.  Now don't get me wrong, I don't think we are a contender, and I don't think we'll make the playoffs either.  But I think there's a big difference between winning 6 games this year and 2 games.  6 games means progress and I think the guys will rally around this coaching staff.  2 wins will mean a lot of frustration.  I think there are some people who have already written off this coaching staff just because they benched Haskins.  I personally applaud them for moving on early from a situation that wasn't working. 

I also don't think completely bottoming out for like 2 wins is very plausible.  We've only had that bad of a record what like, 2 or 3 times in the history of the franchise?  5-6 wins sounds more reasonable.  That will let the coaching staff build some momentum after the disaster last year, and will still probably net us a top 10 pick.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Because we’ve tried the patchwork crap for years. It doesn’t work and we’ve been lacking one thing for 35 years, a franchise QB. You can’t keep picking up scrap heap QBs and expecting to turn things around. Yes, I’d love to tank for Lawrence or draft Fields because winning a couple games in a throw away season means nothing to me. I want Super Bowls. That’s not remotely attainable without a franchise QB. Kyle Allen is going to play us out of position for one and that irritates me. 

You don't have to have a top 5 pick to get a great QB.  Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, they all were picked outside of the top 5 picks in the past 5 drafts.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You don't have to have a top 5 pick to get a great QB.  Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, they all were picked outside of the top 5 picks in the past 5 drafts.  

And they’ve been fortunate. If I trusted this teams scouting department on not top tier QBs I’d be all for this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

And they’ve been fortunate. If I trusted this teams scouting department on not top tier QBs I’d be all for this.

We've actually done a pretty solid job drafting the last few years, save for Haskins, which was a Snyder pick.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We've actually done a pretty solid job drafting the last few years, save for Haskins, which was a Snyder pick.  

You’re correct, but I can argue we haven’t been able to hit in the position where it matters most

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes they were and if you go back to the threads about Josh Allen, 95% of this board thought he was going to suck. Nobody here wanted anything to do with Jackson. Watson was considered a reach. I don’t remember what any of us said about Mahomes? So maybe Trey Lance is that guy or maybe it’s Fields? I just want to keep drafting QBs until we get it right. I personally don’t care how many we draft because you only need to get it right once and then you’re set for 15-20 years. 

Mcclaurin in the 3rd round.

What was LB Cole? 5th

I think we've done an admirable job in drafting.

Even if we make the playoffs at 7-9.

Lose in the 1st or 2nd round, we would still have the highest playoff seeding of that group. Which I believe is #20.

With the amount of crap teams this year?

I'm not sure 5-11 is even a top 10 pick. 

That's a 2 win/loss seperation. JETS, Falcons, Jags, Texans, Bengals, Vikings, Carolina & the whole NFC East could all have 5 wins or less.

Honestly, this is just going to go round and round and round as an argument.  I can pose the same question- "What is the thought process of you who want to win the division this year- I'm truly dumbfounded."  

For me, I am tired of the double-speak.  Bench Haskins for not performing well, and then when we have guys like Holcomb and Gibson performing well, they get pulled for JAGs.  Please, be consistent.  I'd love to see Holcomb and Gibson develop.  We know the ceiling for guys like Jon Bostic and Peyton Barber, but we don't know the ceiling yet for Holcomb and Gibson.  They need the reps to prove they belong.  

Hell, I'm a guy who wants us to lose, and I'd love to see us win more games if it meant guys like Holcomb and Gibson were getting more snaps and making more plays, and guys who won't be here three years from now aren't getting any.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, this is just going to go round and round and round as an argument.  I can pose the same question- "What is the thought process of you who want to win the division this year- I'm truly dumbfounded."  

Dang it, this is what I was going to write. 

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You can not ask a fan of a team that wants to win. Why he wants to win.