What is the thought process of you Season Tankers for this year? I'm truly dumbfounded...

aceinthehouse

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

As I’ve thought about it, quite honestly if we win next week against the Giants I’m all on board with just winning the division. Just think it’s a good momentum builder for next year even though there’s so many holes to address.

Ahh, the road to mediocrity! Not a road I want to travel on anymore.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, aceinthehouse said:

But this 2020 season, I don't get.

It's Rivera's 1st season as our coach.

While it his first year as the head coach, there have been a lot of questionable decisions made: not using timeouts, odd 4th down choices, etc. My biggest problem was the sudden decision for a 1-3 team to go all in winning the division simply because the rest of the division stunk too. It was obvious that the roster was under talented, but to suddenly switch gears because "oh hey we could get to 6-10 and 7-9 and win the division" without thinking through what that means (almost assuredly getting blown out immediately in the playoffs) ... that's somewhat inexcusable.

And don't give me the "momentum going into 2021" argument. It's been shown there's no correlation.

Don't you want our young players already here, to have sustained success under this new regime? Like Scary Terry, Chase Young, Montez Sweat, etc,?

If you suck every year, eventually players want to change their future by going elsewhere. Who would want to stay & remain in sucktitude?

I'm somewhat dubious any players will have sustained success under this new regime, young or old.

Some, or many of you want us to tank for QB Trevor Lawrence. I get it...he's a stud. He's the next generational QB you don't pass up on.

But isn't he just a Junior? What if he goes back to school for his Senior Year? All that tanking for squat. Oh..that's right! There's still Trey Lance, Fields, this guy, that guy.

When does the tanking stop & the winning begin for you guys?

How do you KNOW for certain, that any of these QB's are worth a damn.

You're right. We don't know.

At the same time, I know that the only QB who had any chance of being worth more than a spot starter was benched for a turnover machine and a 36 year old guy with a titanium rod in his leg. So, they don't have anyone at QB right now. Thus, they need to get one. Unless they get really lucky (see: New England in 2000, Green Bay in 2005, Seattle in 2012, or Baltimore in 2017) you generally need to be in the top half of the first round of the draft to get a quality QB.

The culture doesn't change by tanking every season & hoping for the next stud player in the top 3 pick of the draft.

The culture changes with building a winning formula, good coaching & consistency.

The culture also needs to change away from leaking dirty laundry or bad mouthing players in public. That apparently hasn't changed.

Why do you think the other things have or will change? Where is the winning formula you mention? Washington has beaten two injury depleted teams and gotten its ***** kicked in five other games. Where's the good coaching? The consistency ("Oh look, Antonio Gibson just snapped off a 20 yard run. Time to bring in McKissic and Barber!")?

It would be one thing if we saw those things you are advocating for. But so far, I haven't seen them.

Don't you guys get it?

You don't win, by picking top 5 every year.

You win by getting a QB you can win with & getting the right pieces around him to succeed. 

1. They don't have a QB they can win with.
  2. You have a better chance of getting top tier talent at the top of the draft.
  3. They don't have to take a QB at the top, but instead at focus on those pieces around them.

You win by getting your players to buy in, in how you want to do that.

That is true culture change & we finally have that now, although it's in the early stages.

I'll politely disagree with you on this front.

If we suck & go 4-12?

All that does is make it harder to obtain FA players next off-season (see Amari Cooper for example), even with a plethra of cap room. Then wonder if they're only here for a payday, if they do sign. See our history)

Then lots of us fans wonder if Rivera is the right coach. I'm sure some of the players would wonder that themselves.

That's where they were going before the season began!

Stop and ask yourself this question: what if Washington was 2-5, but Dallas was 4-3 or 5-2 and Philly was 4-2-1? Washington would still be the same team they are, but we would be focused correctly on what they need to keep and what they need to build up. It's only because Dallas and Philly have complete shat the bed that some in this fanbase have started entertaining the ludicrous idea that "we could be in the playoffs!" as if getting that ticket means something other than a first round wash out. Washington is not a good team. They're not going to contend this year. That was the whole point of this season: build for the future. And then they tossed that all away because they thought they could make a run at a meaningless division crown.

Oh, and I was on board with wondering if they have the right coach even before then got past the sixth game this year.

Now I understand, that we may have to get a QB. Kyle Allen may just be backup material. 

Uh, yeah.

At best, Kyle Allen will lead them to the land of mediocrity: 7-9/8-8 land.

But it doesn't have to be Trevor Lawrence. It could be any possible QB in next year's draft, which is very deep at QB.

There's also looking at a veteran next year in free agency.

1. With the draft, if you are picking 19th, it's really hard to get a QB, even if it is a deep draft.
  2. A veteran like who? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Joe Flacco? You're going to get a retread if you go that route.

There's many different ways we can look, to address the QB situation & other positions as well. 

We can worry about that, when we get to it.

But why not pull for this team to win the Division, or win as many games possible?

To say to ourselves...look what Rivera did his 1st year here?

We can build off this, etc.

Yup, there it is. "Momentum!"

*shakes his head*

We have a good draft & scouting department. They will get the right guy whether we're picking #2 or #20.

Let's try to win this Division & see what the Washington Football Team can do, with such a young roster & in its infancy stages of rebuilding.

It won't be easy, but I like the fight in this team.

I want to see them win & spank the other NFL teams, the way they did the Cowboys last night.

Let's catch the nation by storm. 

Your blind optimism is touching.

This is a team that would have to win two thirds of its remaining games just to get 0.500 (more than double their current win percentage) ... and you think they can catch the nation by storm?

You do you, ace.

Just remember this when they are pick in the low teens about how those couple of extra wins "meant something" for this team as the top tier talent at QB and OL slide away.

Oh yeah, one last thing: if you pick at the top of the first round, you also pick at the top of the second and fourth rounds (days 2 and 3). You can make trade deals or get bargains that have slipped through the cracks when you re-evaluate who is left the next morning.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 6:13 PM, MKnight82 said:

I think there are some people who have already written off this coaching staff just because they benched Haskins.  I personally applaud them for moving on early from a situation that wasn't working. 

*raises hand* I resemble this remark.

For the record, I don't fault them for switching from Haskins, though I think it was way too soon. I fault them for switching in order to win the division.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, RSkinGM said:

Don't sleep on Montez man ! hahahaha 😁 BTW, I know you probably know this - A Rodgers was pick what 27 ? First round. Brett Favre was a second round pick . Brunnel rd 5,  Gannon rd 4, Drew Brees , Schaub, Hasselbeck , Brad Johnson, etc etc . The list is endless. There's more top 10 bust than there are success stories from further down the draft.  

Okay, just to make sure I got it, there are fewer QB success stories outside of the top ten than there are busts in the top ten. That implies that the hit rate outside of the top ten is even worse than in the top ten.

Which is accurate, but I don't think that helps your case any.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Woz said:

74AF4F2F741073504822151606272_28ab2f8cc7

JN2_9603_1335490201.jpg?uuid=3bMFIJAIEeG

Both set us back years. Feel better? It doesnt hurt when theyre not 1st rounders. Plus can take as many as you want, year after year without it hurting.

Nobody should know better than WFT fans how important building a complete team is. Being weve got 2 SBs with backup caliber qbs.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Troublez said:

south park dancing GIF

^live footage of the WFT Forum....

Can we stop rooting for failure like a bunch of bitter emo teens? That's all!!!

Lose out! Get Lawrence or Fields for Me! Enjoy 15-20 years of being a contender instead of a flash in the pan season with a back up quality starter like Allen.

15 hours ago, Woz said:

Okay, just to make sure I got it, there are fewer QB success stories outside of the top ten than there are busts in the top ten. That implies that the hit rate outside of the top ten is even worse than in the top ten.

You know, in bed last night , trying to sleep- waiting for the break of day . I had a thought I worded that wrong ! I think you got the point though . I meant a lot more hits in the bottom of round one and lower than the top 10 of the round , or something like that !

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Lose out! Get Lawrence or Fields for Me! Enjoy 15-20 years of being a contender instead of a flash in the pan season with a back up quality starter like Allen.

We could get lucky with a mid round pick if we keep banging out mid round picks. Scouting is super important. There is a chance we lose out and get a Fields or Lawrence. Maybe a Lance Falls in our laps. Maybe Ehlinger is that gem idk I’m doing work on him there’s just a hunch with him. Like he has talent I just feel like he’s the guy you get on a young talented roster and he shines. If we sure up the OL in this draft and get that premier TE on this roster a Mid round guy could take off. I know it’s not likely but I wouldn’t force a QB selection in this class. We could kill it on offense up front and get a huge weapon and take a QB flier and just get a huge splash. We have that mid round juice I think it’s worth a shot. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yet - tanking doesn't seem to work in the NFL. I'm not sold  that having a top 5 pick ensures that you hit on a qb. In fact, in the last ten years, I would wager that those selected after pick 10 have had a higher % of success. Kids being drafted to awful teams just get shattered. 

Rather try and win - mold the culture and set expectations. 

• Like 1