Sign in to follow this  
dwaye50327

Gameplanning Poor with Davante in the lineup

Got to thinking, does this team rely too heavily on Adams when he's on the lineup? Obviously when he isn't in the lineup the Packers are undefeated with out him, is that because they are being forced to develop a game plan to get others open, while when he is healthy, they rely too much on Adams in the game plan leaving the other guys to be non factors. I just feel like when he's not in the lineup they are forced to get creative to get other guys involved compared to when he is in the lineup.

Side note, really have been enjoying talk Packers football with you all. Can't really talk intelligent football with a lot of people.

• Like 3

Rodgers plays better without Davante and that’s not a crime to say that.

• Like 3

Its hard to know if the game-plan is 'get the ball to Adams' or if Rodgers just zeroes in on him. 

Take the below play for example.  Live, I thought Rodgers threw a bad ball that prevented Adams getting a TD.  Then I saw that view and realized Rodgers couldn't have really put it in front of Adams cause of that Watt dude.  Then I watched it again and see Shephard wide open for a TD the other way but Rodgers went Williams -> Adams and never looked past that (he glances in the middle for a split second).  Its hard to critique a play that went for 10ish yards, especially with Adams probably being the second read there....but if Rodgers goes to his third read (guessing Shephard) then it looks like a walk-in TD. 

https://gfycat.com/personalsociableheterodontosaurus

If Adams is always the first read... and he is open because Texans. Why is it shocking Adams is forced fed?

Its like the Vikings just focusing on Jones in week one. Adams was the first and only read... like yesterday.

Edited by Green19

Davante is so skillful at getting open that they fall prey to feeding him the ball against lesser opponents. But we all know that this will end, once they get past the first round of the playoffs. He'll see a shutdown corner tailing him around the field or bracketed coverage with an additional defender. Rodgers will be flummoxed over what to do, yet again. We will see that pained look of powerlessness from our star quarterback. LOL

Edited by Howler

8 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Its hard to know if the game-plan is 'get the ball to Adams' or if Rodgers just zeroes in on him. 

Take the below play for example.  Live, I thought Rodgers threw a bad ball that prevented Adams getting a TD.  Then I saw that view and realized Rodgers couldn't have really put it in front of Adams cause of that Watt dude.  Then I watched it again and see Shephard wide open for a TD the other way but Rodgers went Williams -> Adams and never looked past that (he glances in the middle for a split second).  Its hard to critique a play that went for 10ish yards, especially with Adams probably being the second read there....but if Rodgers goes to his third read (guessing Shephard) then it looks like a walk-in TD. 

https://gfycat.com/personalsociableheterodontosaurus

Taylor's intentionally running his route to prevent the ILB from cutting off Adams. Look how he runs the route to ILB level, squares up and basically stops. That lets Adams capitalize on his great release to run all the way open. 

Our offense looks better and to some extent different when Adams is out of the lineup simply because other teams do not know what to stop or key.

We tend to break our own tendency of looking at Adams first.

And we struggle sometimes when he is in there, because we do focus on him.

IMHO....we will be a juggernaut on offense when we learn how to balance the offense and incorporate more guys into the gameplan, even when 'Vante is rolling.

And if not?  We will have times in a game when we look brilliant.  And times where we look lost.  It honestly can't be all sink or swim with Adams.

On another forum I floated the idea of trading Adams during the off-season. Why? Next year will be his last on his current contract; the team gains $13 million in cap space if he's traded; the Packers get at least one decent draft pick for him; the team has gone unbeaten and the offense looked much more in sync, with Rodgers throwing in rhythm and the offense running smoothly, using the TE's and RB's as targets as the ball got out of AR's hand very quickly. On the other hand, Rodgers would be extremely unhappy with this move. The question being, would it be a good move for the team? I'd say it should at least be seriously considered.  

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Taylor's intentionally running his route to prevent the ILB from cutting off Adams. Look how he runs the route to ILB level, squares up and basically stops. That lets Adams capitalize on his great release to run all the way open. 

yeah Adams is the read and he's open.  If it was some other WR that wasn't quite so open Rodgers might move on and see Shephard.  As far as the thread is concerned, I don't really see how this is poor game-planning as much as Adams just being in a different class than Houston's dbs. 

• Like 1

When we see games like this or Phi last year where he is just chewing up the competition, keep feeding your #1 until the defense reacts and leaves some other players more open.  The idea that 12 or LaFleur are too stubborn or not creative enough to adjust does not have a lot of traction.  Maybe moreso last year when Aaron was still getting fluent in this offense, he depended on his safety blanket but he has already shown to be able to spread it around this year, even when 17 is out there. We need better options a receiver but hopefully can do some damage with a healthy squad.  Treating your number one like your number one is fine, how you react to the way defense treats your number one is where the games begin.  That's up to the coaches and the guy pulling the trigger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ricky said:

On another forum I floated the idea of trading Adams during the off-season. Why? Next year will be his last on his current contract; the team gains $13 million in cap space if he's traded; the Packers get at least one decent draft pick for him; the team has gone unbeaten and the offense looked much more in sync, with Rodgers throwing in rhythm and the offense running smoothly, using the TE's and RB's as targets as the ball got out of AR's hand very quickly. On the other hand, Rodgers would be extremely unhappy with this move. The question being, would it be a good move for the team? I'd say it should at least be seriously considered.  

I say why stop with Adams?  Lets trade both Adams and Rodgers and allow Gute/MLF to move fwd with their vision of a Love centric offense.

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I say why stop with Adams?  Lets trade both Adams and Rodgers and allow Gute/MLF to move fwd with their vision of a Love centric offense.

I mean all you need is Love... The Beatles taught me that.

15 hours ago, ricky said:

I'd be all for trading Adams, if we had some horses in the stable behind him.  But we do not.  If you trade him, there is an enormous void in the WR room.  And you've just sent a terrible message to the club.  Trading an elite WR at age 27 or 28, who is a team leader and by all accounts a good teammate is simply not a good thing.

Then you have to backfill that position.  Draft?  Yah, it's going to take 2-3 years for a WR to get up to speed.  Free agency?  That's always more expensive.  If you go down that road, odds are you pay just as much for free agents to fill that void as you would have if you simply hung onto Adams.

Look, it isn't like Adams game is going to fall off of a cliff.  He's only 27 years old.  His game is not speed, it is quickness.  He's going to play at this level for about 4-5 more years, if not more.

The better scenario is to evolve the offense and see what it can do at full strength this year with Vante, Lazard, Jones and the supporting cast.

While trading for Gallup.  :)

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, MaximusGluteus said:

giphy.gif

What I would give for an attaboy like that when I have an especially intense session.

Now everyone quote his gif so it's a page of dog ****

Edited by Kepler
  • Like 1