Thoughts on Logan Thomas

naptownskinsfan

He’s decent. He’s too slow to ever be more than what we’ve seen but he’s making plays and seemingly catching everything so it’s hard to complain. Im not sure about his blocking but I’ll see what kinda grade Cooley gives him this week. We still need a #1 TE badly. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I think he's a replacement level player worth a cheap contract but no kind of expensive extension.  

Extention ? We have him for 3 years . I'll just sit on that contract for now . Oops, his was a two year contract . 

Edited by RSkinGM

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Thomas is a Good #2, not a strong enough blocker for me or a special receiver/route runner like Reed was where I’d want him to be our starting TE next year. We need to upgrade the position.

Yep.  To me he is just another sprinkle.  That is all good, but I hope they don't look at him like he is going to make the leap to a #1 next year.

I think he's a nice surprise. He is underrated athletically. Mostly because he's huge - he's 6'6" out there. It would be nice if he wasn't 29 years old. He's a nice stopgap at TE and I don't think we need to force grabbing a TE in the first round next year. He's had his best games with Allen and it should be interesting to see what he finishes for the year stats wise.

14 hours ago, offbyone said:

Yep.  To me he is just another sprinkle.  That is all good, but I hope they don't look at him like he is going to make the leap to a #1 next year.

I think he's better than that. Sprinkle has been overall not worthy of being here next year.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think he's better than that. Sprinkle has been overall not worthy of being here next year.

Hard to say.  Sprinkle has never been used or targeted as much as Logan Thomas.  I think if used the same they are fairly equitable.  But yeah we probably don't need two average TEs.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

As a receiver, Thomas is clearly better than Sprinkle. 

As an overall player...mmm, that’s a closer call. Sprinkle is a decent blocker, which Thomas is not. You have to be a very good receiver to overcome being a hindrance in both pass protection and run blocking. 

Thus far, Thomas has 208 receiving yards on 40 targets. That comes out to a rate of 5.20 yards per target, which ranks 34th out of the 38 TEs with at least 15 targets. He’s caught 21 of those 40 targets, a rate of 52.5%, which ranks 37th out of those qualified TEs. Extremely inefficient thus far, is what I’m getting at here. 

TE production can be heavily dependent on having a good rapport with the QB, and as noted by others, he’s been better with Allen. I think we can’t ignore that he was totally shut out in the 1st half of the Rams game with Allen at QB, not even a target — which suggests his recent success was more about bad opponents than a great connection with the new QB. But there’s some hope there based on the recent uptick, so I guess we’ll have to stay tuned and see what happens once we get back in there against a decent team. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, offbyone said:

He’s the opposite of Sprinkle to me. Thomas is a good receiver and athletic for his size. Sprinkle is a good blocker but poor receiver. If we could combine the two - just like if we could’ve given Jordan Reed Sprinkle’s blocking ability and toughness - we’d have a good to great starting TE.

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

As a receiver, Thomas is clearly better than Sprinkle. 

As an overall player...mmm, that’s a closer call. Sprinkle is a decent blocker, which Thomas is not. You have to be a very good receiver to overcome being a hindrance in both pass protection and run blocking. 

Thus far, Thomas has 208 receiving yards on 40 targets. That comes out to a rate of 5.20 yards per target, which ranks 34th out of the 38 TEs with at least 15 targets. He’s caught 21 of those 40 targets, a rate of 52.5%, which ranks 37th out of those qualified TEs. Extremely inefficient thus far, is what I’m getting at here. 

TE production can be heavily dependent on having a good rapport with the QB, and as noted by others, he’s been better with Allen. I think we can’t ignore that he was totally shut out in the 1st half of the Rams game with Allen at QB, not even a target — which suggests his recent success was more about bad opponents than a great connection with the new QB. But there’s some hope there based on the recent uptick, so I guess we’ll have to stay tuned and see what happens once we get back in there against a decent team. 

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He’s the opposite of Sprinkle to me. Thomas is a good receiver and athletic for his size. Sprinkle is a good blocker but poor receiver. If we could combine the two - just like if we could’ve given Jordan Reed Sprinkle’s blocking ability and toughness - we’d have a good to great starting TE.

You can only say that because Thomas is getting more targets.  Thomas is an average receiver.  Half the time he traps the ball rather than hands catch.  Sprinkle has stepped up when he became targeted frequently.  Just look at the end of last year.  I think they are a push.  But either way neither is blowing the other out of the water.